• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Puerto Rico to recognize carry licenses of states, partially recognize 2A

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
http://www.lexjuris.com/lexlex/Leyes2019/lexl2019168.pdf

Gun Law in Puerto Rico to Respect the Second Amendment as of 1 January, 2020
The most sweeping change in Act No. 168 is to eliminate the restrictive and burdensome requirements of the old law in obtaining a permit to purchase, own, or carry firearms. The new law enacts a shall-issue system that requires a permit to be issued if the applicant meets the legal requirements. The legal requirements are essentially the same as in the United States for firearms ownership; except for a uniform minimum age of 21. This was likely influenced by recent legislation in California, Washington, and Florida.

Costs under the old system were upwards from $1,500, with no guarantee of obtaining a permit to own a gun at the end of the long process. Under the new law, costs are about $200, with a guarantee of a permit, if the applicant does not fall into one of the prohibited categories. The permit is valid for five years. The renewal fee is $100.

Under the new law, a permit to own includes the right to carry a firearm for defense in public, if the firearm is concealed. Obtaining a permit to carry, under the old system, was even more difficult and costly than obtaining a permit to own a firearm. The government has a limit of 45 days in which to investigate and issue a permit. After a year, the limit is reduced to 30 days.

I just got back from PR. I saw several billboards advising residents to "careful celebrating the holidays by not firing guns into the air".

Now that's common sense gun control.

¡viva la puerto rico!

bosley.jpg

Last edited:
Hot damn! Maybe I should put PR on my vacation list...

Used to go there every winter for vacation to get out of the cold for a while. Was direct flight and no need for passport and border patrol, which on other carib islands adds a few hours to the day. 4 hrs from boston, get off plane and go. Other islands, especially without direct flights, you waste a whole day in travel.

I have not been back after the hurricane, so I don't know what shape things are in right now.

Wow. A government of an historically crime ridden territory has actually enacted legislation which will have measurable effects on crime rates instead of legislating on feelings and double speak. Nicely done.

Back
Top Bottom