• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Public land to shoot in southern NH?

I’m going to be spending some time up in Southern New Hampshire in the Fitzwilliam/Jaffrey area. I belong to ranges in MA, but am wondering if anyone knows of good pits or public land to shoot in that area? If it’s the type of place you’d have to kill me if you tell me about it, them DM me and knock me off after.

Already did a search on this. Only found old threads that talked about all of Southern NH or the state as a whole. Maybe I missed something?

Thanks.

This thread gets posted regularly and the answer is always the same, "keep it secret, keep it safe." People don't answer them seriously with any useful info because once word gets out, it leads to the spots getting ruined/closed/otherwise lost.

Start searching Google maps, search along dirt roads also known as class 6 roads the ranges tend to stick out, other than that make friends with locals
+1

This is my canned reddit response:

"No offense to you at all, and i take you at your word. Not many people are going to provide a stranger their spot. That is how word spreads and things get shut down with irresponsible shooters.

Recommend you understand the requirements of RSA 207:3A, 207:3c, and 644:13. Then do some map research for public land, then do some local town specific research on the land, then do some physical research of that land, then go safely enjoy yourself while cleaning up afterwards."

+1

This is my canned reddit response:

"No offense to you at all, and i take you at your word. Not many people are going to provide a stranger their spot. That is how word spreads and things get shut down with irresponsible shooters.

Recommend you understand the requirements of RSA 207:3A, 207:3c, and 644:13. Then do some map research for public land, then do some local town specific research on the land, then do some physical research of that land, then go safely enjoy yourself while cleaning up afterwards."
That’s helpful. Thanks for the advice.

I get the hesitation people have to tell strangers where their spots are for all the reasons people. Have mentioned. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to ask 😉

I’m going to be spending some time up in Southern New Hampshire in the Fitzwilliam/Jaffrey area. I belong to ranges in MA, but am wondering if anyone knows of good pits or public land to shoot in that area? If it’s the type of place you’d have to kill me if you tell me about it, them DM me and knock me off after.

Already did a search on this. Only found old threads that talked about all of Southern NH or the state as a whole. Maybe I missed something?

Thanks.

When?

Even local shooting ranges and sand pits are not great places to be this time of year. Not a good time to go trouncing through the woods and causing loud noises.

When?

Even local shooting ranges and sand pits are not great places to be this time of year. Not a good time to go trouncing through the woods and causing loud noises.
Also, that.

Even if I am not out hunting every day, I lay off the shooting on my private backyard range during firearm season to not scare everything off.

That’s helpful. Thanks for the advice.

I get the hesitation people have to tell strangers where their spots are for all the reasons people. Have mentioned. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to ask 😉
Want to show folks you're a good neighbor?

bump one of the 500 existing threads that have the same answers to the same question. you're starting on the wrong foot, otherwise.

Start searching Google maps, search along dirt roads also known as class 6 roads the ranges tend to stick out, other than that make friends with locals
Wish I could find the thread where someone coming from far away
to vacation in the Monadnocks asked where he could go shoot in the woods
near Old Glory in Mason. Not just any old woodlot would do -
it had to be conveniently near the gun store.
[hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom