• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Public Hearing Attendance Poll

Which hearings will you attend? (select as many options as you like)

• Going to Cape Cod Hearing on the 19th @12:00

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Going to Worcester Hearing on teh 26th @TBD

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Sitting on my rear hoping someone else will do it ;-)

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters
Are you going? Which one? Both? Why not?

These are more important than the rallies, we need to swamp each of these hearings. These are the first 2 of 5 or more that have been discussed.

Select as many options in the poll as you like, screen names will not be posted in the poll.

Last edited:
Both - Can't attend the It'sTime2A meeting on Sunday but do want to get together to plan attendance

Car Pool: Taunton (willing to drive and pick up)

Read ahead material: HOW COLLECTIVISTS USE THE DIAMOND TACTIC TO SWAY PUBLIC MEETINGS AND HOW TO THWART THEM

- - - Updated - - -

Both - Can't attend the It'sTime2A meeting on Sunday but do want to get together to plan attendance

Car Pool: Taunton (willing to drive and pick up)

Read ahead material: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2657811/posts

New schedule info on the hearings, from GOAL's Facebook page:

Gun Hearing(s) Schedule - New Information!

GOAL now has a more complete schedule of the 5 “gun hearings” that will be held by the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. The first 4 hearings are scheduled to take place outside the State House. We will be counting on our members to attend these hearings, speak out, be heard and begin the process of restoration of our freedom.

- Cape Cod Community College at noon Wednesday, June 19, 2013

- Assumption College, Worcester MA, 10:00 am Wednesday, June 26, 2013

- Location/Time TBA - Middleton MA, Tuesday July 23, 2013

- American International College, Springfield MA, time TBA, Friday August 2, 2013

- Gardner Auditorium (State House), Boston MA. Date/Time TBA, (September)

There will be an extensive list of bills, reported over 60, that will be heard at these outside hearings.

As more detailed information is provided, we will alert our members. We will be encouraging our members to attend your local hearing, provide written testimony and to speak if you are comfortable doing so.

We will have information packets and more information available in the next week, please stay tuned!

How much time are you usually allotted to testify?

Can you just turn in a written testimony?

It's been ~3 minutes in the past without strict enforcement. I would guess that attendance will decide whether it is more, less or tightly enforced. The truth is if you go beyond 3, you are likely rambling anyway... [wink]

Yes, you can and are encouraged to submit written testimony.

Committee Rules for 2013-2014

A. PUBLIC HEARINGS

1. All public hearings shall be conducted by either the Senate or House Chair.

2. In the absence of both Chairs, the hearing shall be conducted by the Senate or House Vice-Chair.

3. In the absence of the Chairs and Vice-Chairs, the hearings shall be conducted by the ranking senior member of the majority party, as determined by years of service on the committee.

4. The presiding member shall open and close Committee proceedings, shall have general supervision of all committee hearings and shall preserve order and decorum. The presiding member shall use his/her discretion in scheduling the order in which proposals shall be heard at any public hearing of the committee.

5. No electronic audio or visual recording devices may be operated during a Committee proceeding without prior consent of both Chairmen, or the presiding Chairman if only one Chairman is present. If neither Chairman is present at the hearing, no electronic audio or visual recording devices may be operated.

6. The testimony of any witness shall be limited to three minutes. The presiding member, at his/her discretion, may extend the length of oral testimony for any witness.

7. Committee members may question witnesses only when they have been recognized for that purpose by the presiding member. All committee members’ questions shall be directed through the presiding member. The presiding member may limit the time for questioning witnesses after giving due consideration to the importance of the subject matter, the number of petitions scheduled for a hearing and the length of time available.

8. All questions put to witnesses before the committee shall be pertinent to the subject matter before the committee, and all testimony given by witnesses shall be pertinent to the subject matter before the committee.

9. After giving due consideration to the complexity and potential impact of the matter before the Committee, the number of matters scheduled to be heard by the Committee and the available time, the presiding member may restrict repetitive testimony and may limit both the time allowed for testimony and questioning by Committee members.

10. All persons intending to submit written testimony to the committee shall furnish copies of such written testimony to the committee staff within 24 hours of the hearing. At the discretion of the Chairs this rule may be waived for an extension of time. Testimony may also be submitted by electronic means.

11. All persons testifying orally before the committee shall furnish the following information to the committee staff before each hearing:

1. Name
2. Organization – if any
3. Address
4. Telephone number
5. Email address – if applicable
6. The bill on which the person is testifying
7. His or her position on the bill – support or oppose

12. Public hearings may be held in the absence of a quorum.

13. The Committee need not hold public hearings, however, in cases where:

A public hearing on the bill has already been held before another joint committee with jurisdiction over the subject matter and a second public hearing before the Committee is not otherwise required;
The Chairs agree to waive the public hearing requirement based on their joint determination that public necessity so requires it; or
The Chairs jointly agree to discharge a bill that has been inappropriately assigned to the Committee.

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J22

I don't recall if one is a allowed to "yield time" or not... IOW, sign up to be a witness/give testimony (for 3 minutes), and if another speaker/witness really has their shit together and needs more than their allocated time, you can pass on your time to speak and allocate it to them.

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J22

I don't recall if one is a allowed to "yield time" or not... IOW, sign up to be a witness/give testimony (for 3 minutes), and if another speaker/witness really has their shit together and needs more than their allocated time, you can pass on your time to speak and allocate it to them.
They have not "yielded time" in the past for public comments, but have allowed more time for "special people".

I may be going to the Cape. Definitely Worcester is easier. I need to make sure my schedule stays clear to get to the Cape.

We are going to the Cape hearing, with our two small boys in tow but we will be there. Who do you submit written testimony to?

We are going to the Cape hearing, with our two small boys in tow but we will be there. Who do you submit written testimony to?

I will be there as well, and I also need to know how to submit a written testimony. I haven't found any info on how to do it (correctly, that is).

I really wish I didn't have such a fear of public speaking, otherwise I would stand up and speak for the ~3 minutes.

They've announced the other hearings. Is it worthwhile going to more than one (I assume yes)?

I can probably go to the Boston hearing in addition to the one in Worcester. Sorry, but NFW am I making the haul to the Cape or Springfield.

They've announced the other hearings. Is it worthwhile going to more than one (I assume yes)?

I can probably go to the Boston hearing in addition to the one in Worcester. Sorry, but NFW am I making the haul to the Cape or Springfield.
I am trying to get the poll fixed to reflect this.

Yes, go to as many as you can.

I will be there as well, and I also need to know how to submit a written testimony. I haven't found any info on how to do it (correctly, that is).

I really wish I didn't have such a fear of public speaking, otherwise I would stand up and speak for the ~3 minutes.
In the past it has been physically given to the committee (walk up and hand them paper), I don't know if that protocol will change. If I can find out, I will post it.

In the past it has been physically given to the committee (walk up and hand them paper), I don't know if that protocol will change. If I can find out, I will post it.

On the previous page of this thread, this was posted...

10. All persons intending to submit written testimony to the committee shall furnish copies of such written testimony to the committee staff within 24 hours of the hearing. At the discretion of the Chairs this rule may be waived for an extension of time. Testimony may also be submitted by electronic means.

There must be an email address to submit a testimony to.

Is there a specific location for the Worcester hearing? I've never been to Assumption college - do we know what building and room number it is in? Where to park?

Left messages at the senate and house offices yesterday for someone to get back to me on how/ where to submit written/ electronic testimonies to... NOTHING. [hmmm]

Left messages at the senate and house offices yesterday for someone to get back to me on how/ where to submit written/ electronic testimonies to... NOTHING. [hmmm]
If you are going to submit without attending here is what I would suggest:
1. Do not email, this method of communication has gotten so cluttered as to be useless.
2. Send hard copies to both committee chairs via mail, better yet, physically submit it at one of these hearings.
3. This one is a bit wishy-washy, but the "comment period" for these bills is likely not going to be as strict as usual since they are having meetings from next week through September.

If you are going to submit without attending here is what I would suggest:
1. Do not email, this method of communication has gotten so cluttered as to be useless.
2. Send hard copies to both committee chairs via mail, better yet, physically submit it at one of these hearings.
3. This one is a bit wishy-washy, but the "comment period" for these bills is likely not going to be as strict as usual since they are having meetings from next week through September.

I'll be attending the CCCC next Wednesday. So I don't need to submit a written testimonial 24 hrs before the hearing? If I'm there in person I can just hand it to them? Sorry if I'm not grasping this. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom