• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Public Gun Ranges - any in ma?

I'm having a heck of a time finding a public gun range around the Worcester Ma area. So far it looks like Smith and Wesson in springfield or american firearm school in north attleboro. are these REALLY my only options if I want to do some shooting tomorrow?

I'm trying to find something that's not an hour+ away. I have searched the site and used google maps. I am hoping you guys can help my find something a little closer. Bonus if I can use a 20ga shotgun and a 30carbine there.
thx for the help

There is S&W, American Firearms School (Attleboro) and Bobs Gun Range in Salisbury, then Manchester Firing line in NH. that's basically it.

S&W is probably actually the easiest for you, as all you have to do is get on the pike. With little traffic itd be about an hour each way, maybe less if you drive fast.

You will not be using any shotguns indoors at S&W or MFL, unsure of AFS, and I think Bob's is now pistol only, although I could be wrong. (it used to be anything goes, but after they remodeled the range rules changed... ) .30 carbine is iffy, don't think they allow any rifles at S&W, .30 carbine would be fine at MFL, though.

-Mike

LSA in Leominster opens the rifle range to the public on Sundays from 9 AM to noon. That's the place we shot last time with Leo and Flynn.

ETA: Just saw that you're looking to shoot tomorrow. My bad.

Last edited:
Pay -'n' - shoot is not a common thing in Mass.

It's not a common thing in New England, period, never mind MA. There are only 3 ranges in MA, and 2 in NH ( MFL, and a range up in Hinsdale) and I think there are ZERO in RI, ZERO, in VT, and there are maybe 2 or 3 in CT. (Hoffmans and ?)

-Mike

You will not be using any shotguns indoors at S&W or MFL, unsure of AFS, and I think Bob's is now pistol only, although I could be wrong.

Last time I was at AFS (about a month ago) there was a sign that said "No bird or buck shot" so I think shotguns are fine as long as you're shooting slugs.

There is S&W, American Firearms School (Attleboro) and Bobs Gun Range in Salisbury, then Manchester Firing line in NH. that's basically it.

S&W is probably actually the easiest for you, as all you have to do is get on the pike. With little traffic itd be about an hour each way, maybe less if you drive fast.

You will not be using any shotguns indoors at S&W or MFL, unsure of AFS, and I think Bob's is now pistol only, although I could be wrong. (it used to be anything goes, but after they remodeled the range rules changed... ) .30 carbine is iffy, don't think they allow any rifles at S&W, .30 carbine would be fine at MFL, though.

-Mike

I've shot rimfire rifles at S&W before. I haven't been there in a year or so, but I would assume the policy remains unchanged.

Great info so far guys, thanks! I didn't think the 20ga would be allowed indoors at most places, but a guy can hope. Interesting that it sounds like if it is, it would be slugs only. I can snag some handguns to use, but I'm itching to try out these long guns. LSA is a def a sunday option, but was hoping to get some buddies shooting saturday since they work sunday. ah, shift work. the poor bastards. ;)

I'll call S&W and see what I can manage there. Would give me a great excuse to try out the SW 22a.

AFS isn't that far away and you can shoot the .30 Carbine and 20ga(slugs only) there.

I'm pretty sure S&W is no shotguns and only rimfire rifles.

Bobs is pistols only.

Last time I was at MFL(old Location) with my AR, they only allowed frangible ammo which I had to buy from them.

Last time I was at MFL(old Location) with my AR, they only allowed frangible ammo which I had to buy from them.

MFL allows most centerfire rifles now, IIRC. A couple of visits ago, there was a guy 2 stalls over that had an M1 Garand and he was shooting regular old M2 ball out of it.

-Mike

MFL allows most centerfire rifles now, IIRC. A couple of visits ago, there was a guy 2 stalls over that had an M1 Garand and he was shooting regular old M2 ball out of it.

-Mike

I went to MFL when Jim invited people up for a tour of the new range. I remember him stating that center fire rifles were ok but I assume that meant within reason (like .308 or smaller).

I can't imagine MFL has any restrictions (other than no shotguns) with all the crazy crap they will rent you.

I gotta check out S&W, I think thats the only pay-n-shoot I haven't hit up yet. I have got to join a damn club.

AFS isn't that far away and you can shoot the .30 Carbine and 20ga(slugs only) there.

I'm pretty sure S&W is no shotguns and only rimfire rifles.

Bobs is pistols only.

You can shoot rimfire rifles at Bob's also.

Downfall WMA in Newburyport has a public range, no fee one you get access.

That's newburyport though, you might affringe your gas tank to get there.

I've seen shotguns, handguns and rifles, it's a short alley though.

I called Smith and Wesson and they said you can shoot whatever as long as it's pistol caliber, if I understood her correctly.

Back
Top Bottom