• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ptr 91gi quality and potential problems.

I have an opportunity to get a ptr 91gi model with 8 mags. I havnt heard much about them. The few reviewsi read were opposite ends of the spectrum. The trade he offered is very much so in my favor. but what are some issues I may run into with it. He said it is finicky with wwb and has only put 150 rounds through it

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...8-7-62x39mm-rife-package-detail.html?Itemid=0

For
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...939-atlanticfirearms-com-detail.html?Itemid=0
(With 8 mags.)

Last edited:
I have a PTR-91F, and absolutely love the rifle. Very reliable and very accurate. Just don't buy it with plans on reloading the brass as these things chew it all to hell unless you go the port buffer route.

That said, there was an issue with certain ser#'s where there was a factory error with the wrong sized pins being being pressed into the trunnion and causing the trunnion to crack after a few hundred rounds. I cant remember the exact ser# range that it happened under, but a quick search over at HKpro would answer that. PTR does however offer a life time warranty on all their rifles internals, so that shouldn't be issue regardless. They stand by their product.

Last edited:
i have one. aside from assembly issue, like crookedly welded cocking tube. it's sweet smooth/soft shooting rifle considering it's 308. heavy as **** though, even with 16 inch barrel almost 10 lb. trigger is long heavy and smooshy, at least on my rifle. i don't love it but i don't hate it either, considering its the only semi-auto 308 i have. one advatage PTR has is ton of cheap preban externally dated 20rd mag everywhere. but you don't care about that since you are out of mass-hole by now

Last edited:
The mags are pretty cheap and the gun shoots accuracy is typical of a battle rifle. It's got some weight to it but the thing that used to bug me the most about these and I had two versions was that damn bolt release on these things. Tends to screw bend brass cases at least on the two I have but if you can get a good deal you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
I had one for a little while. They seem to be just fine rifles. I only got rid of mine as I didn't need a .308. If you can pick one up for a deal, and it's what you are looking for. I'd say go for it. Mags are cheap, it cycles every time, take down is easy, and it eats steel case ammo all day long.

Mines been reliable,mags are cheap,plenty of parts etc available. Adding the heavy buffer really helps to tame the guns recoil HKparts.net has just about anything you would need for it.

I really want one of these to replace the HK 91 I sold eons ago. The loose barrel tolerance description does not warm me however...

Does the PTR have a fluted chamber like the HK did? Because I had the buffer and you still could not reload due to flute marks left on the casing.

One other thing. If you do get it, then pick up a set of feeler gauges as well and keep a log book of the bolt gap after every range trip. This is just to always keep an eye on it in case any problem should arise, a good idea for any Roller lock gun

PTR 91 will not feed Winchester whit box ammo. I thought mine was broken and brought it back to the shop.

Never had a problem with any other ammo, but I have only tried a few brands.

Mine eats Win white box just fine. The ammo pickyness issues were resolved after ser# 9**** if I recall (mines above this number).

i have one. aside from assembly issue, like crookedly welded cocking tube.

Yeah, I've seen that one one other gun. That and the front sight being slightly canted. But that is all covered under PTR's warranty and they will fix it all free of charge. They really are a great company that stands behind their products.

It would be nice to be able to reload. The loose tolerances are what's putting me off too

Not sure whats meant by loose tolerances. And you can reload the cases if you add a port buffer. The chamber flute marks press right out during resizing.

Edit: Oh I see what you're referring too. What this is about is the older PTR's before ser# 9**** used to be a little picky on the ammo they used because PTR used tighter chamber fluting tolerances than what HK used (supposedly for accuracy purposes). This was a major complaint about their guns for some time, so what they did was they developed the GI model that uses the original HK chamber fluting tollerance for people who wanted to be able to use whatever ammo they wanted in the gun, even crappy south African ammo.
After ser#9**** however, ALL PTR's now use this "looser" (aka the correct fluting) chamber tolerance as to accept a wider variety of ammo.

Last edited:
This one is GI5xxx, he said it stove pipes with wwb and GGG has problems but they are both low end ammo. Should I get it then just have ptr go through it? It's worth 400$ more than mine and also has 8 mags so it seems like a sweet deal

i honestly don't see why someone would be trading a PTR91 for a vz58. mags don't even factor into the equation here as they are maybe two bucks at some sites. surplus G3 mags are dirt cheap.

Ultimate Shield posted good info, it sounds like he knows what is up with these rifles.

i'd still probably make the trade. it's not hard to change the rollers if you ever need to do that. easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I really want one of these to replace the HK 91 I sold eons ago. The loose barrel tolerance description does not warm me however...

Does the PTR have a fluted chamber like the HK did? Because I had the buffer and you still could not reload due to flute marks left on the casing.

fluted chamber is essential for roller delay blow-back guns because it operates under higher pressure. and yes PTRs are fluted. w/o flutes you won't get reliable function.

it seems like your problem with fluting and reloading was due to incorrect fluting. my cases seem to come out undamaged at least upon visual inspection. although i do have a buffer and use steel.

im most likely going to make the trade. good deal for me
and if i don't like it i can get another vz far cheaper or i can trade it for a nib sw governor. someone offered me

fluted chamber is essential for roller delay blow-back guns because it operates under higher pressure. and yes PTRs are fluted. w/o flutes you won't get reliable function.

it seems like your problem with fluting and reloading was due to incorrect fluting. my cases seem to come out undamaged at least upon visual inspection. although i do have a buffer and use steel.

I was using a Lee hand loader. You know the hammer one... I had one of my Zebra reloads jam. Figured it was the rifle. With surplus being cheaper than what I could load, I never looked back.

Back
Top Bottom