• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PTR 91 GI

I recently purchased a PTR 91 GI. Would not return to battery after the first shot. Sent it back to get fixed, they said they deburred some of the parts, and checked the head space. This is not the first gun I'v sent back so I don't fault them, but while searching the internet to figure out a possible cause I came across a lot of discussions on head space, larger rollers, and bunch of other terms unique to roller lock guns. The PTR was an impulse buy for sure, I've always wanted a semi auto in .308, now I'm a little concerned about long term reliability. Any information on when to expect to have to change rollers, or common breakages would be greatly appreciated. This will be my go to rifle, and I'd like to understand the life cycle and possible issues better than I do. I cant seem to find anything definitive on the internet regarding service life, or how many rounds before you have to look into changing rollers.

I had one and it was fairly picky about what ammo it liked. It wouldn’t cycle Winchester white box and another brand I can’t remember. I loaded it with some military surplus .308 and it kicked pretty hard. So hard it cracked the stock. I haven’t missed it since I sold it.

This was my biggest concern will “roller lock delayed” blowback. The bolt requires enough anchor to hold it in place when the round is fired, yet it needs enough force to push the bolt back. It may work for 9mm (which is made for direct blowback anyway), but I question rifle calibers.

I had one and it was fairly picky about what ammo it liked. It wouldn’t cycle Winchester white box and another brand I can’t remember. I loaded it with some military surplus .308 and it kicked pretty hard. So hard it cracked the stock. I haven’t missed it since I sold it.

I thought the recoil was tame, but I've heard others say it was harsh as well.

This was my biggest concern will “roller lock delayed” blowback. The bolt requires enough anchor to hold it in place when the round is fired, yet it needs enough force to push the bolt back. It may work for 9mm (which is made for direct blowback anyway), but I question rifle calibers.

Its my understanding that the roller lock was designed for rifle calibers, and then used in the smaller pistol caliber guns by HK. Could be a case of a good design but wrong application.

I have a PTR 91 and doing this from memory. Does it have a gas pressure adjustment? If so that might be a solution.

I think someone said to adjust the gas block until brass was tossed 8-10 feet from the rifle.

All i can say is PTR has excellent customer service and if you still have issues they will be more than happy to fix the issue. I had a problematic ptr91 years ago and after they tried twice to fix it they sent me a new one for my troubles. They are pretty reasonable.

Lol the Cetme, G3, etc, were all legendary designs when executed properly.

The problem is those last 3 words.

PTR has a lot of guns that are great, and a lot that were not so hot, depending on when they were made...

I have a PTR 91 and doing this from memory. Does it have a gas pressure adjustment? If so that might be a solution.

I think someone said to adjust the gas block until brass was tossed 8-10 feet from the rifle.

You must be thinking of a FAL or something like that. PTR91 is just roller lock, usually.

I have a couple CETMEs and while I enjoy shooting them, I don’t think I’d ever put them in a “go-to gun” category. If you need to rely on one rifle, it probably shouldn’t be a parts kit gun.

That said, my cycling issues have always involved the interface between the bolt carrier and the cocking tube. Specifically where the cocking tube is welded to the receiver. Excess weld or misalignment of the tube slows the carrier enough to keep the bolt from going fully into battery.

My friend picked one of these up a few weeks ago, so far it like steel cased crap the best, NATO is un predictable for cycling so far.

I have a century arms one that been fairly reliable.
And I shoot wolf steel 90% of the time.

Maybe 2 out of every 80-100 rounds malfunctions.
I did put a magpul prs stock and G3 buffer on it and its been finicky as all hell since with light strikes and more malfunctions.

I'm pretty sure its the G3 buffer.
But the original cetme buffer won't fir in the magpul stock.

Back
Top Bottom