• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PTR 32 KFR - Questions and thoughts?

puška m70

NES Member
I'm interested in the PTR 32 KFR.

Does anybody have any long term experience with it?

How are PTR clones/adaptations of HKs - are they 'go to war' / 'shtf' grade guns or mediocre knockoffs?

What's the deal with the updated version, is it true that it no longer has the issues with accepting and feeding with standard metal surplus AK mags?

In for 32 KFR specific information, because I’m curious too.

As for PTR, I’d trust one after putting a few hundred rounds through it like any of my serious use guns. Unlike Century Arms CETMEs.

I looked into Century C308 versus PTR versus HK91 last year and let me put it this way, the HKs cost around $3000-5000:

Nice Heckler & Koch Model 91A2 .308 7.62 H&K HK91 - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 894025780

HK 91 - .308 Win - H&K 91 - HK91 - XLNT Condition - MFG. 1980 - Pre-Ban - C - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 902677857

Though, those are 7.62 NATO guns, not 7.62x39.

If you're looking for a "can handle anything" 16" carbine in 7.62x39, why not an AK or vz. 58? AK imports are made in factories that win military contracts and most foreign AK manufacturers try to have as few differences from their military guns as possible (semi-auto, furniture for 922(r) purposes, single stack mag well that gets converted over here). And the good vz. 58 clones have always been regarded as reliable.

Edit, there's also the Swiss Arms (Swiss SIG) 553Rs, but those are super pricey, like $6500-7500.

I sold off my H&k rifle's when they first started to get stupid money for them.Then I picked up a PTR 91,and 94,they work just as well as the H&K rifles.

I looked into Century C308 versus PTR versus HK91 last year and let me put it this way, the HKs cost around $3000-5000:

Nice Heckler & Koch Model 91A2 .308 7.62 H&K HK91 - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 894025780

HK 91 - .308 Win - H&K 91 - HK91 - XLNT Condition - MFG. 1980 - Pre-Ban - C - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 902677857

Though, those are 7.62 NATO guns, not 7.62x39.

If you're looking for a "can handle anything" 16" carbine in 7.62x39, why not an AK or vz. 58? AK imports are made in factories that win military contracts and most foreign AK manufacturers try to have as few differences from their military guns as possible (semi-auto, furniture for 922(r) purposes, single stack mag well that gets converted over here). And the good vz. 58 clones have always been regarded as reliable.

Edit, there's also the Swiss Arms (Swiss SIG) 553Rs, but those are super pricey, like $6500-7500.
I generally agree with this post. The Vz58 is, for my money, the best x39 option in existence, unless you can afford a Valmet. And who can? But any AK will do great. I'm generally leery about shoehorning weapons systems designed for x51 or .556 into x39. I just don't see the point, as long as the Vz58 exists. If you're looking for ironclad reliability, the x39 round solved that years and years ago with its existing designs. No reason to mess with them.

I traded for a CETME C308 a few years ago and honestly? It's surprised me. No hiccups and dead-on accurate. I'd not SHTF it, but not because it's a bad rifle: I've just got too many others I prefer, ergonomically, because that forward charging handle bugs me.

I generally agree with this post. The Vz58 is, for my money, the best x39 option in existence, unless you can afford a Valmet. And who can? But any AK will do great. I'm generally leery about shoehorning weapons systems designed for x51 or .556 into x39. I just don't see the point, as long as the Vz58 exists. If you're looking for ironclad reliability, the x39 round solved that years and years ago with its existing designs. No reason to mess with them.

I traded for a CETME C308 a few years ago and honestly? It's surprised me. No hiccups and dead-on accurate. I'd not SHTF it, but not because it's a bad rifle: I've just got too many others I prefer, ergonomically, because that forward charging handle bugs me.

The other thing to consider is the aftermarket and parts availability, and AKM-pattern rifles are right up there with ARs in terms of options. Stocks, handguards, grips, optics mounts, adjustable gas systems, springs, fire controls, you name it, there's options for an AKM-style gun.

Back when I was looking into PTR versus HK, I realized quickly that those are guns you have to buy. There's no real option to get a receiver and build a gun the way you want it, or build from a kit. In comparison, there's tons of AK kits on the market and building yourself or via a gunsmith is quite doable. Not AR easy, but doable.

I talk to a friend that went to century arms for a big buy for the company he works for they where breaking down the full auto guns into parts kit to selling to PTR also PTR was building the new ones for Century and the named them C308 it was because last Century build they had a lot of problems building them
3F95ED97-BE00-4D81-A753-782B85F90D41.gif … did I just read?

They look like fun guns, but are pretty heavy for a gun it's caliber. I agree that the VZ58 is a much better option if you are just looking for a semi auto in 7.62x39. The VZ is much ligher and handier. If you have a registered HK sear...that is a different story :)

I have a PTR-91 and mine is very well made and runs like a sewing machine.

Rob Ski likes the PTR

View: https://youtu.be/qv6kuSzzxDw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom