• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PTG Bottom Metal into Remington 700 SPS stock (for AICS Mags)

PTG (Pacific Tool and Gauge) sells bottom metal for Remington 700 Short Action rifles that allow you to convert the rifle over to using AICS magazines. You do have to inlet the stock to accept the bottom metal, but I have done a few into laminated wood stocks (Fajan and Boyds) in 308, 243, and 6.5 CM. All have worked flawlessly.

When hunting I hate the Remington ADL setup for loading and unloading, and tolerate the BDL setup. So much easier to have a AICS mag in your pocket, and snap it in or out.

So during the last snow storm / cold freeze I was cleaning the basement shop and realized I had a Remingon 700 SPS ADL stock doing nothing, I had a set of BDL bottom metal for the stock, and I also had a PTG bottom metal that I had not put into anything yet. I had often wondered if there was enough meat to the SPS stock to inlet for the PTG metal, so took a little time to tackle this wild hair.

First thing I did, was cut out the opening through the bottom of the stock, and inlet the bottom to convert the ADL to the BDL configuration. Pretty simple, and took about 15 minuted. I put in a barreled action and it worked fine. Sorry, did not take any pictures.

So here is what is included in the PTG bottom metal kit.
Ptg 1 parts.jpg

It assembles to barreled action like this, and if you have some snap caps or dummy loads around, you can load up a mag and function test it like this.

PTG 2 Barreled action.jpg

So I drilled the stock and bedded the pillars, then using a dremel tool and selection of sanding bits inlet the stock for the PTG metal. It is easier to do a laminate stock as the plastic one wants to melt the removed material around the bit if you go to fast.

So pictures of the installed pillars, and the top and bottom inletting. (I still need to clean up a few plastic hairs)
PTG3 top inlet.jpg PTG 4 bottom inlet.jpg

The one issue you can see from the top view looking at front pillar. The pillar is in an island of plastic that is no longer attached at the end towards the stock. That cross web of plastic had to be removed to fit bottom metal. So I will fill the gap either side of the island with bedding compound before shooting it.

So a picture of the final test fit of the bottom metal into the stock, then the assembled rifle. I ran five mags of five dummy rounds through it and it feed and ejected without issue.

PTG5.jpg PTG 6.jpg

So it worked. I did this with an SPS stock for a heavy barrel, but looking at a stock for the regular barrel the dimension appear the same so should be no different.

Come warmer weather I will go shoot this stock with a rifle of known capabilities and see what it does or doesn't do.

Last edited:
PTG had good tools, well I like them. If they are making parts as well as there reamers and gauges ..should be nice stuff

I worked with five of these and the design and manufacturing of parts are excellent. The assembly of the parts are sometimes poorly done. First one had the lever installed backward. They said it shouldn’t be possible. They replaced quickly and replacement was perfect. Next one was fine. Third one the roll pin on lever was barely inserted far enough to work and I just tapped it in. Fourth and fifth ones came together. One was perfect and on the other the lever had almost no play and it was hard to release mag. I took both apart and the problem one has a spring that was too long and had been compressed in its holeremoving almost all movement. Trimmed it back and it worked perfect. I’ll do more of them but I look over closely when they arrive

As an alternative to PTG, there's also an outfit called CDI Precision Gunworks that makes bottom metal, and will inlet it to your stock.

I ordered one of theirs for a Savage 10 project, bought a Boyd's stock and had them ship directly to CDI for inletting, who shipped stock and new bottom metal to me. Took about 5 weeks for the whole process, the slowest part being Boyd's shipping to CDI. Their inletting job was excellent and their bottom metal appears to work fine, but I haven't finished the rest of the rifle so can't say how it functions when actually shooting.

I've seen a couple of PTG, they were very nice.

Back
Top Bottom