• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSL Build Questions

I want a PSL. Bad. It looks like one can be built for about half the cost of buying a "new" one, minus the jigs and fixtures and a press, etc.

I'm wondering how different it is to build one, vs an AK. If I went to the next AK build party with a receiver and a parts kit would I be able to complete the gun? Or are there special tools and equipment (I think different length rivets maybe?) Is an RPK receiver the same as a PSL? Please educate me, soviet experts!

functionally, they are not that different. I haven't seen any PSL receivers or blanks though lately, or cheap. Rails are different on RPK plus you need the butt re-enforcing plates.

Also, some kit come without barrels, so if you need to fit/headspace the new barrel, that's more tools and jigs that you need, not common in most AK build parties.

Buy one, if money is the issue.

Guaranteed, you won't build it cheaper in time or money unless you're already tooled up for it and know what you're doing.

Shop the prices of kits and what they come with, some come with barrels, others don't and thats an added expense, shop receivers if they are even available, then decide if you have the knowledge and tools to do the build.

I've built guns before, and found this particular model is cheaper to buy than build when all things are considered.

Lately I have seen kits going for $450-600. If you can find a receiver add another $100-150. Centerfiresystems.com is a good place to look every so often. Plus if you can find magazines the best price is about $40 per mag. PM me if you go this rout I might be able to locate some. Then you will need your rivet kit $15. Most likely you will not get a matching barrel unless you spend close to $700 on your kit so plan to head-space, drill and ream for an oversize pin. I have a contact that will do it for $20+shipping. I got a kit back when they were $300 and have been finding odds and ends for the last 9 months. If you buy chance get all your materials together by September 15th there is a build going on I sadly wont be able to attend.

If you you can find a kit for 350-400 with the barrel I would say that's a great buy these days.

John at Remsport has some experience with PSL's

Back
Top Bottom