• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSI Concealed Carry Defensive Pistol Review

This one is for Cross-X, who asked me to put up a review of this course. I spoke with my editor, who mentioned something about hoping I have a brother if my parents want grandchildren if I published this on the web before the paper went to print. I didn’t inquire further.

So, with permission (and the ability to procreate), I submit to Northeastshooters.com my review of PSI’s Concealed Carry Defensive Pistol as it appeared, in my files, and close to what was printed in the December issue of The Outdoor Message on page five.

I love my job. If I walk into the office with a gun case I am more likely to be asked what I brought in for show and tell. My co-workers don’t mind if I carry openly in the office or even if I field strip a firearm for cleaning. Besides, where else would I have access to some of the best training available to civilians?

A few weekends ago I attended Personal Security Institutes’ Concealed Carry Defensive Pistol course at Riverside Gun Club in Hudson, MA. I would like to extend a thank you to the club for hosting this event, and to Personal Security Institute for holding the class.

The lead instructor, John Peterson, is very knowledgeable in his subject and presents the information in such a way so as not to leave the student behind. The information is presented in a, as we in education say, multi-modal approach. Basically this means that the student is exposed to the class on several approaches. The student receives a copy of the power point presentation that Mr. Peterson references during the lecture along with space to make notations on his dialog. Physical materials are brought into the discussion and passed around for further student examination.

The first portion of the class revolved around classroom work regarding the basics of self-defense. This ranged from awareness of your right up through equipment selection to what you need to do after a self defense situation has occurred. The examples are based on real world situations, a majority of the equipment that he talks about is available in the classroom to examination, and the post encounter advice is taken from both case and general laws. There are also plenty of supplemental materials in the issued binder to read following the class; along with a listing of other reference materials to find. With the number of states that this class is offered in I would recommend getting in touch with Gun Owners' Action League, for Massachusetts residents, or the state pistol association for your home state, to check on local firearm, and carry laws for any new regulations or laws.

The shooting portion went beyond the classic stand at fifty feet and fire on a static paper target. Movement is the key in a self-defense situation and this course has plenty of movement. Before you get to the moving portion key basic elements are reviewed and corrected by the instructors. Everything from basic equipment use and set up, to how to follow through on your shots, and holstering are covered. There are aspects on firearm handling that I have learned from other instructors that have said that theirs is the best way. Not so with Mr. Peterson. He and his instructors will show you one way and if it doesn’t work for you, they’ll show you another, and another until you have found one that works for you and your particular equipment. As was said many times; this is not the only way nor is it the best for everyone, find what works for you and always seek out more training.

The second day of the class involved shooting in low-light conditions in the indoor range. This portion was taught by Mr. Joe Picariello, and again multiple styles were demonstrated along with several examples of equipment. Later that day the range work continued on the outdoor range with a quick review of the basics, followed by more movement drills. The drills involved the use of cover, movement to cover, and movement from cover to cover. As an adult I would have figured that I know how to walk, here we learned how to walk correctly, whether it was forward, backward or side to side.

The conclusion of the class was the combination of all the methods, less low light tactics, in one final stage where both the target and the shooter are moving. One last aspect that I though was a nice touch was the cool down shoot. This was a series of targets to work on the basic principles outlined through out the course. Sixteen courses of fire that one can use at the range to define what areas of shooting are causing problems.

Overall I found this course to be quite beneficial for both the beginner and intermediate shooter. The material was presented in a friendly manner, the instructors very knowledgeable, and plenty of supplemental information to take the student to the next level. A major plus for the course, if you needed back up equipment or gear, there was plenty available for student use. After the course was over Personal Security Institute followed up through e-mail to the students with a printable copy of the warm up/ cool down targets to use as the student sees fit. I am very much looking forward to taking another course from PSI, either the shotgun or carbine course.

Personal Security Institute can be reached through [email protected].

Great review...

I read it just the other day in the Outdoor Message..

I am VERY interested in taking this class if it should pass through MA again.

Adam

It will. I'm just trying to get the information from John to get the PSI web site up, and will post the schedule as soon as it's available.

Ken

Yea, I read it as well. It would be great if a group of us were to all take it. Mabye we can have one special for us if we had enough people to do it.

That brings up another point. I wonder if we could get group discounts if enough of us were to all get together and take some tranning classes.

Just a thought. I just think that there are enough of us on here that would want to take a class that we could fill one up.

I'm in, too. A group of regular shooters as a class could have the benefit
of cutting down on some of the remedial info that seems to be covered
in some of the generalist courses. Hey, who wants to go to Frontsite?!
(kidding, a little).

F

Back
Top Bottom