• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area

I've been a member at various clubs over the years and have since let those memberships lapse. Reasoning = time, going to many of them is a pain in the ass from where I live and I'd rather spend my time doing something else besides sitting in the car.

That is not true. The membership is cost is $125 with a $30 discount if you join the NRA or GOAL. They are considering capping the membership shortly. I shoot trap often there. I don't know who would've told you that.
Just one of the members as I was leaving from trap about 3 months ago, but he did mention at that time that they were about to cap the limit.

There was a guy from Lynn that I enjoyed plinking with at MB. Any of you him?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's the guy. Excellent for discussing politics with. Crackshot with IS on his bolt action. 22.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When in HS, I used to take the ladies to nearby Dick Burns Wildtime Management Area. Down the street from Penicillin Park.

And people are trash by nature. It isn't something special with North Shore folks or shooters or troglodytes or anything.

Think back (those of you old enough) to the 70's and that stupid crying Indian TV PSA. We were a society that just threw crap out our car windows for DECADES. Why the heck not???

And movie theaters. Remember when you'd just toss all your food trash on the floor at the movies? Remember when the floors were sticky with Coca Cola??? How long has that been?

Society can pressure us into being neat, but deep down, we are all slobs. Ergo, on a place that is in the middle of nowhere, many, if not most, folks will just leave all their trash.

When in HS, I used to take the ladies to nearby Dick Burns Wildtime Management Area. Down the street from Penicillin Park.

And people are trash by nature. It isn't something special with North Shore folks or shooters or troglodytes or anything.

Think back (those of you old enough) to the 70's and that stupid crying Indian TV PSA. We were a society that just threw crap out our car windows for DECADES. Why the heck not???

And movie theaters. Remember when you'd just toss all your food trash on the floor at the movies? Remember when the floors were sticky with Coca Cola??? How long has that been?

Society can pressure us into being neat, but deep down, we are all slobs. Ergo, on a place that is in the middle of nowhere, many, if not most, folks will just leave all their trash.

I disagree.

I throw my shit away at the movies.

My gun club is always spotless because folks give a shit....mostly because of accountability with the sign in and camera security but also the sponsorship at the club "ties" the sponsors membership to the new member for 2 years.....new guy gets in trouble the sponsor is summoned before the board of directors right beside em. People tend to care and be more selective.

I don't think it's most people. It's a few that make a mess so it stands out.

I've been to rolling thunder rally in DC 3 times. 800,00 plus motorcycles in the Pentagon parking lot for hours and hours before the start. When that parking lot clears out THERE IS NOT ONE SPECK OF TRASH. NOT EVEN A CIGARETTE BUTT. know why? 95% of the people there are veterans......it's called respect and discipline.

Go to a political rally where it's mostly civilians......trash everywhere.

My point is there are certain demographics in our society that care......and some that don't. The "demographic" that does the necessary requirements to join a club for the I most part pretty much give a shit.....The "demographic" of "shooters" that want a free shit hole range to **** around on......well......you get my point.

Last edited:
You can disagree. But it was common practice in the 70's. At some point, they probably put a s-ton of PSA's on the screen and the practice went away. But if you went to the movies in the 70's or drove on the Interstate in the 60's, you totally littered. It was the thing to do.

It is ONLY because people are watching that people stay neat at ranges. Sure, there is a select bunch that are good doobies. (And they are ALL NES members.) But, by and large, people are slobs. Its' just a fact. Go elsewhere in the world and you'll be appalled at what is considered "normal."

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but does anyone know how to get "permission" to target shoot at Martin Burns or any other WMAs? And how long the permission slips is good for? I find it ridiculous that the state puts ZERO info online about this.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but does anyone know how to get "permission" to target shoot at Martin Burns or any other WMAs? And how long the permission slips is good for? I find it ridiculous that the state puts ZERO info online about this.
Last time I can recall was the info for permission was posted outside the maintenance shed. And remember that your permission slip was good for a year.

I find it ridiculous that the state puts ZERO info online about this.
Whaaaaa.

Oh the horror. You "find it ridiculous..." Call them up and ask them if they know who you are. They will be impressed that you find something the state does, or does not, ridiculous.

Whaaaaa.

Oh the horror. You "find it ridiculous..." Call them up and ask them if they know who you are. They will be impressed that you find something the state does, or does not, ridiculous.
I find it rediculous that so many Bitch about Martin Burns being a dump......not open when it's supposed to be......yada yada......then complain that they NEED places like Martin Burns because they can't afford a place to shoot. Let me get this straight......you take part in an activity in which the ANNUAL membership fee costs about 1/3 of a single fire arm your looking to shoot? Hell......an annual membership to most clubs costs less than what you'd spend in ammo to feed the fire arm your planning to shoot during one range trip....... and yet your looking for a free range to use.

People should just join a god damned gun club.

Whaaaaa.

It's ridiculous for the state to make me get its permission to exercise my natural right to bear arms.

It's ridiculous for the state to then make me get a second permission slip to shoot at a public range that's paid for by my tax dollars, and then make me renew it annually.

It's even more ridiculous that they seem to be deliberately making it difficult to find information about how to get that permission slip.

Do you actually disagree with these statements? If so you're probably on the wrong forum.

I find it rediculous that so many Bitch about Martin Burns being a dump......not open when it's supposed to be......yada yada......then complain that they NEED places like Martin Burns because they can't afford a place to shoot. Let me get this straight......you take part in an activity in which the ANNUAL membership fee costs about 1/3 of a single fire arm your looking to shoot? Hell......an annual membership to most clubs costs less than what you'd spend in ammo to feed the fire arm your planning to shoot during one range trip....... and yet your looking for a free range to use.

People should just join a god damned gun club.
Not defending peoples' bitching about Martin Burns being a dump, but personally I just want a no-hassle place to try out my shotgun using actual shells. I'll join a club at some point when I find the right one, but in the meantime I don't want my first time firing a shotgun with shells to be when someone breaks in.

I shot there in the very early 2000's, but don't remember anything about a "Permission Slip". Is the policy recent?
~Matt

Oh, and the people that don't pick up at the range don't put their shopping carts in the corrals either...

iu

Sorry, don't know how to block out the bad, but accurate words...

Last edited:
It's ridiculous for the state to make me get its permission to exercise my natural right to bear arms.

It's ridiculous for the state to then make me get a second permission slip to shoot at a public range that's paid for by my tax dollars, and then make me renew it annually.

It's even more ridiculous that they seem to be deliberately making it difficult to find information about how to get that permission slip.

Do you actually disagree with these statements? If so you're probably on the wrong forum.
They are probably making it harder and harder to gain access to the range because the f and w guys are sick and tired if picking up all the trash left behind by the skinflints, bubbas, and inbread mother f***ers that shoot there.

Last edited:
I belong to a club, but why shouldn't I go to Martin Burns as my tax dollars have already paid for it?

Your tax dollars don’t pay a penny to Martin burns , it is a WMA and is solely funded by revenue collected from hunting licenses , for years a hunting license was REQUIRED to get a range permit , it’s always been a shithole of a range and if they brought back the hunting license requirement for a permit it would probably weed out some of the bad apples that are running amuck

Martian Burns AKA downfall WMA has been in the crosshairs of anti gunners, anti hunters, and property developers for years now and these range issues don’t help keep the place protected for its intended use which also funds it , Hunting

Sadly belonging to a club doesn't mean there will be no more bubbas. I've seen people on here complaining about the messes and damage people do at their club and at the 2 clubs I belong to there have been complaints. Unfortunately there are people that have little or no consideration for others.

Might have been me sharing some horror stories of stupid stuff at the range. Thankfully things have improved a lot this year.

There was an episode of Mad Men where the family is having a picnic, and the lead character is lying on the picnic blanket finishing up eating his sandwich or whatever and just tosses the paper wrapper and such. Kinda funny and pretty descriptive of the times.

They are probably making it harder and harder to gain access to the range because the f and w guys are sick and tired if picking up all the trash left behind by the skinflints, bubbas, and inbread mother f***ers that shoot there.
Not really gonna disagree with you whacko, but, your condescending attitude has me wondering which one of the aforementioned class of people you are, skinflint/ bubba or inbred?
Anyway, I belong to two gun clubs in western Ma, both are spotless and emmaculate. It has nothing to do with the number of fellow veterans and everything to do with the members policing ourselves and having pride in our grounds. One club is $140 the other is $120, and I shoot a lot, both archery and guns, skeet trap and large bore.
These public wma ranges were common 30 years ago when I was young and we used to shoot at them a lot just to plink and rip off a few mags into some cans and go home. They are now long gone because of these "slob" problems as people are genuinely lazy. But what really happens is the anti gun advocates know when hunting seasons are, and when they are closed. Any gunshots out of season bring phone calls to the local PD's, even when all minimums are met, 500 ft from roads dwellings etc etc. All bringing scrutiny and unwanted hassle to the legit sportsman.
Another problem in the oppressed land of mass is the laws are changing so fast and are so varied, the police and the anti gun lobbys don't even know them.
The guy who wants to go shoot a couple shots a few days before deer season to check his gun, may not be a skinflint, bubba or inbred. Just lazy enough to not pack out his trash, and no these people who may shoot once a year are not going to join a club, they will just go to another sandpit.

The good old days when if you had a proper license you could go out in the woods and plink all day without hassle are long gone.

But a negative attitude makes us all look bad...

Not really gonna disagree with you whacko, but, your condescending attitude has me wondering which one of the aforementioned class of people you are, skinflint/ bubba or inbred?
Anyway, I belong to two gun clubs in western Ma, both are spotless and emmaculate. It has nothing to do with the number of fellow veterans and everything to do with the members policing ourselves and having pride in our grounds. One club is $140 the other is $120, and I shoot a lot, both archery and guns, skeet trap and large bore.
These public wma ranges were common 30 years ago when I was young and we used to shoot at them a lot just to plink and rip off a few mags into some cans and go home. They are now long gone because of these "slob" problems as people are genuinely lazy. But what really happens is the anti gun advocates know when hunting seasons are, and when they are closed. Any gunshots out of season bring phone calls to the local PD's, even when all minimums are met, 500 ft from roads dwellings etc etc. All bringing scrutiny and unwanted hassle to the legit sportsman.
Another problem in the oppressed land of mass is the laws are changing so fast and are so varied, the police and the anti gun lobbys don't even know them.
The guy who wants to go shoot a couple shots a few days before deer season to check his gun, may not be a skinflint, bubba or inbred. Just lazy enough to not pack out his trash, and no these people who may shoot once a year are not going to join a club, they will just go to another sandpit.

The good old days when if you had a proper license you could go out in the woods and plink all day without hassle are long gone.

But a negative attitude makes us all look bad...
Yeah....well....you certainly don't know me. Read the post again......the bubbas and the inbreads leave their shit behind.....an that's why the place is a mess and rarely open from what I know about it. So I'm neither of those.

As far as the skinflints.....it is what it is. The dumb asses that f*** the place up have ruined it for everyone else.....yet there are those here bitching I out the boys in green and blaming them for the lack of access to Martin burn........I don't blame the epos for limiting access to Martin burns.....I'd be tired of picking up other people's shit too. So......the skinflints looking for free shooting areas at this point should just pony up and join a club....cuz in today's world......you get with you pay for with "free access".....and as has already been pointed out.....if you don't have a hunting license you technically didn't help pay for that land anyway.

Yes some lazy people screw it up for the majority, that is a fact. It's not about free shooting areas as much as it is about public access to the outdoors.

Public land and wma's come from many different sources, land grants and chapter trusts are large contributions, not just hunting licenses so that point is moot.

Remember, ignorance and lack of education, and an arrogant attitude are three fuels for anti gun lobbyists nationwide

Yes some lazy people screw it up for the majority, that is a fact. It's not about free shooting areas as much as it is about public access to the outdoors.

Public land and wma's come from many different sources, land grants and chapter trusts are large contributions, not just hunting licenses so that point is moot.

Remember, ignorance and lack of education, and an arrogant attitude are three fuels for anti gun lobbyists nationwide
Dude......how the hell did a discussion about slobs at Martin burns turn into "fuel for the anti gun lobby"?

I've been on this forum for years and heard all the "fuel for the anti" comments in droves. You've been on here what? 2 weeks now? Didn't take you long to throw that "fuel for the anti" slogan around did it?

Nice job "hiding" the ignorant and uneducated slam at me too. Im far from ignorant......I just tell it how I see it.

Welcome to nes

Last edited:
I shot there in the very early 2000's, but don't remember anything about a "Permission Slip". Is the policy recent?
~Matt

Oh, and the people that don't pick up at the range don't put their shopping carts in the corrals either...

iu

Sorry, don't know how to block out the bad, but accurate words...

I’ve been hunting there and using the range since the mid 1980’s and a “permit” has always been required, even back then

The folks that manage Martin Burns do a great job. Sue and her staff in Ayer and Officer Ryan from the Environmental Police are truly stand up.

Most do what they can while they are there, including picking up after others.

Thanks Everyone.

Your tax dollars don’t pay a penny to Martin burns , it is a WMA and is solely funded by revenue collected from hunting licenses , for years a hunting license was REQUIRED to get a range permit , it’s always been a shithole of a range and if they brought back the hunting license requirement for a permit it would probably weed out some of the bad apples that are running amuck

Martian Burns AKA downfall WMA has been in the crosshairs of anti gunners, anti hunters, and property developers for years now and these range issues don’t help keep the place protected for its intended use which also funds it , Hunting

Money that flows from the people to the government is a tax. I get your point that hunting fees are a fairly appropriately scoped/targeted user fee, which is the best type of tax. But if the state owns the land and compels the payment of monies to support it, it's public land paid for with public money and I shouldn't have to get a permission slip to undertake lawful activities on it.

Back
Top Bottom