• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSA: Honor your WTS deal too much to ask?

There was a time when one's word was all that was needed to make agreements. My late Dad always said you give your word you keep it. Its just the way it is these days when some believe its "OK" to be a weasel and go to great lengths to justify it, after all we are living in the its all about me era.

If a deal was reached based on a man's word then indeed a deal was broken rendering that mans word as useless and he fully deserves a dope slapping via negative feed back.

Why are people so terrified of neg rep? I remember this being the case back when we had a rep system for posts too, people would go nuts if they got negged. Who cares? Despite what they say, the internet is not serious business. A deal is a deal; the seller is not someone I'd want to buy from; neg him.

Why are people so terrified of neg rep? I remember this being the case back when we had a rep system for posts too, people would go nuts if they got negged. Who cares? Despite what they say, the internet is not serious business. A deal is a deal; the seller is not someone I'd want to buy from; neg him.
Murica is getting soft. Lower testosterone levels.

My opinion, leave honest feedback about the situation. Some people arent just sitting around the house with nothing to do, they have lives, job, kids, family, etc. i think it’s good to get the truth out there so they can make judgement calls when buying from people like this, I know if I saw the feedback it would definitely make me think whether or not I want to do business with that person and if my time was worth them potentially wasting it

Bottom line is the seller thought that the few extra bucks he made was worth more than his character. Materialism has really screwed up peoples value system in this country. It is nothing short of greed and the sellout is exactly what all the politicians are doing. The ironic thing is at the end of the sellers life, he/she will probably die with some sort of positive net value, which means he sold his soul for nothing.

I generally honor my deals to the first person that offers full price. I ignore lowball shitposting altogether because I price my stuff below or at market.

Neg rep if you want and move on.

Its just as bad for sellers. I had a guy offer to meet me, I had to travel. So I told him it would be full price.

He said oh, I was going to offer you 50 less when we met. Now im not interested. Glad he said that and I didnt waste my time.

Had I not been clear I would have burned 20 dollars in gas 2 hours of my time and then been lowballed.

I think its good to be very clear when working out a deal before you meet.

Selling shit sucks. Lately I just trade it. Even if its 50 less than I want its easier than dealing with all the bullshit. Usually ill go up to KTP and trade it for store credit and you get as much or more as the cheap f***s on this place.

TL, DR. Too many posts to wade through.

But to address the OP's original point...I agree that when you receive an offer which is accepted you (both of you) live up to it. If someone offers you more, tough chit. Unless your word means nothing, you live up to your agreement.

FOXTROTJULIETBRAVO

on the plus side the seller told the truth to mr. _guy.

me, i have 2 tales of woe. #1, i stiffed someone but certainly not intentionally. i was selling a gun, was setting up a meet & greet with a serious buyer and got laid off from my job the next morning. forgot about the pending sale and pretty much everything else in life to immerse myself in unemployment activities and benefits my company was offering to ensure a successful and speedy job search. a while later the prospective buyer pm's...hey, what's up a**h***? you die or what? he was kind enough to understand and held back on the neg rep. never did sell the gun, still have it buried in the safe.

#2, i got stiffed...by a long time well respected nes member. i was so hot for the item(s) i offered to pay up front in advance via paypal until we could arrange a when and where for pick up. he told me that wasn't necessary, he'd hold them for me and he'd get back to me. 2+ weeks go by and crickets...nothing. a short answer to an inquiring pm i sent wondering what was going on...he sold them to someone else. wtf! i held my tongue and held the neg rep. in fact, this is the first time i publicly have mentioned this. i laugh when this member answers threads like this with a lot of fist shaking and calls to out the bastard. people here are so funny.

as long as no money was involved or someone intentionally sold damaged goods and concealed it, i don't think being butt hurt warrants the energy to neg rep. reading the comments i see i'm pretty much alone in thinking that. have fun at the public hanging, lol.

IIRC, a couple of us would neg rep each other just to F with each other- all in good fun.

BRING BACK NEG REP

[rofl]

you men this?

post #2

The Goose's Disclaimer:
First and foremost if you want something I am selling then say “I will take it”. I do not consider questions or inquiries as a commitment of any sort. Terms like “I am interested” mean nothing. The fact that we may be having a dialogue does not mean that I am waiting for you to make a decision. The person who steps up and says “I will take it, when do we meet” closes the deal.
• I expect you to read the ad. Every single time I sell anything I get at least one and usually multiple questions about something that is already stated in the ad. Yes it has a 5” barrel AS STATED IN THE FREAKIN” AD!
• I expect YOU to know that you want the item. I am not a store. Do your own research and visit a gun shop if you just want to handle a particular gun. And no I will not meet you at your club so you can try it out to see if you like it. Of course you get to inspect the gun before you buy it, but barring a mechanical or condition issue I expect you to buy it. If you are not sure then do not waste my time. I once met a prospective buyer at the range so that he could try out a revolver I was selling. After trying it out and BSing for more then an hour he simply said that it just did not fit his hand right. WTF!
• If you want to negotiate that is fine, but do not start out by telling me that my price is too high. This is not a good way to make friends and influence people. I have never made a dime on any private sale ever. In fact I routinely lose money and have often cut deals for a friend. I may be asking more then you want to pay, but the price is never too high. Also as stated in the first item above I do not consider negotiating a form of commitment. If you are in the process of offering less then I am asking and someone else says “I will take it” then you lose. Don’t bitch at me.
• I reserve the right to sell to whoever the hell I want. Having said that I scrupulously sell to the first person who makes a firm commitment. Provided that person does not piss me off. Such as demanding that the transaction take place that day, when it does not work for me. Also do not assume that just because you are the first person to post a reply on the forum that you are also the first person to contact me directly. Not everyone posts a reply, some folks just PM an “I will take it”. I am not obligated to justify anything to some guy I have never met who demands to know why he did not get the deal when he believes he was the first in line. You may also rest assured that if you take that tack that you will also not be first in line if the initial deal falls through.
• Do not ask me if it is MA compliant. Actually, feel free to ask me, but if you are depending upon my answer without doing your own research then you should not even be participating in a private transaction. Do your own damn research.
• Do not agree to a deal on line and then offer me less when we meet. If that happens the deal is over, no matter what. A deal is a deal. The time to negotiate is during the initial transaction, once the deal is made that’s it.

People are lazy and stupid, on average. I'd say most on the forum are better than average, but we do get the full spectrum. I ignore dumb questions that can be answered in the ad, and the senders usually either go away, figure it out from the ad, or they double down on their dumb question and state "I already asked- is it too much to expect an answer?" To that I will answer, "Is it too much to read the ad?"

Unless there is truly a condition issue that I missed in the description, price is set before meeting and any "Will you take.." gets a "No!". I've had enough flakes that I usually will word my ad to include "First to show with cash gets it" if it is a common and popular item such as a Glock. If a little more obscure such as old milsurp rifles, I expect some will want to see before committing to purchase. You start to get a sense of who the dumbasses or shysters are and can avoid them.

. I do not think I would have presented the seller with any choices, however.

I gave the seller an option up front for the same reasons I didn’t sh*t post on this one, I didn’t post his User name and put him on blast, I brought this to the NES Tribe of Appeals, and I chose a neutral over a negative rep —

A man’s reputation is as important as his word. As someone else had pointed out, the transaction reflects on me as the buyer as well. “Fairness” and “honorable” can be subjective — from the seller’s perspective he didn’t do anything wrong. On the other hand, I take my reputation seriously.

I must be missing something. No money was exchanged? The item was not exchanged? Then you didn't have a deal.

Try using your method buying a car, or real estate.

Deal was "struck", deal was not "consummated".

OPs problem, as stated, is that seller made an agreement, and then seller backed out with statement that they were going to sell it to someone else for more money. So they broke their agreement with OP so that they could grub a couple more bucks.

That says a lot about the seller's character, or lack thereof.

yeah, same here....
really? Go see wilson911 response,tonydebo as two quick examples. People telling the buyer to just move on and ignore it is no different than defending the behavior based on this topic of neg rep. The rep system is in place for these kinds of instances. As far as goose rules....Ive meet losts of geese and all they do is make noise and shit. Thats what i think of goose rules.

I appreciate everyone’s input —

I opted to leave neutral feedback and link to this thread so a future potential buyer can form their own opinion without me completely trashing another member’s reputation. That seemed fo be the most fair resolution under the circumstances.
I have never seen anyone with neutral feedback.

People telling the buyer to just move on and ignore it is no different than defending the behavior based on this topic of neg rep.
I’m going to disagree here. They’re two separate issues.

The buyer cannot control what the seller does. He can only control what HE does. So advising him to get over it is a legit opinion about what he ought to do, in accord with the reason he started the thread. Well and good, even though I disagree with that opinion.

That says nothing about the seller’s conduct. They’re not “defending” the seller. By the same token, it’s possible to hate both drug abuse AND the war on drugs: it’s not a binary thing.

I’m going to disagree here. They’re two separate issues.

The buyer cannot control what the seller does. He can only control what HE does. So advising him to get over it is a legit opinion about what he ought to do, in accord with the reason he started the thread. Well and good, even though I disagree with that opinion.

That says nothing about the seller’s conduct. They’re not “defending” the seller. By the same token, it’s possible to hate both drug abuse AND the war on drugs: it’s not a binary thing.
In regards to the feedback its important to let others know that when dealing with this person, you may or may not get the item after agreement of purchase. I was specific when i said "behavior based on this topic" I should probably worded it different. My bad.

While I personally would have kept the agreed upon deal as the seller, I would never fault someone who takes an offer that was closer to asking price. Its not like he cancelled on you while you were on your way driving to meet him. He didn't inconvenience you.

This situation happened to me before, I just accepted it and moved on. The fact that you made a thread about it is sad. Neg rep and move on if it makes you happy.

Back
Top Bottom