PSA: Honor your WTS deal too much to ask?

Only had one situation close to this. Made a deal with someone for an off-list handgun. On my way to the meet, he calls my cell and says he just realized he had hit his 4 transfer limit. so he can’t do the deal. I don’t try to convince him that doing 5 transfers in one year probably won’t even get him a letter; just turned around and went home. Later that day he called to say he found an FFL that would do it as a frame transfer and we went ahead and did the transfer the next day. He paid the transfer fee. Now that was an upright guy.

So I do that on every other board but here.

Unfortunately the rules say the mods will delete the SPF marked ads.

I prefer the ads to stay up so the buyer can get a good chance to look at the item and compare tot he pics(for shipped items).

I had a >$100 ad deleted after I marked it SPF, so I've stopped marking mine until the transaction is complete.

IMO, it's annoying that this board doesn't follow the basic norms that other firearms related boards follow.

View attachment 531180
What's the big deal about posting again if it falls through? The chances are low

neg feedback for sure. So the rest of us know what we are getting into. I had a guy contact me here a few years ago. Only had 2 posts... i can't remember the user name. I had something for sale and we agreed on a price and place to meet. He was a truck driver and had weird hours but i was more than happy to work with him. I had held it for 2 weeks waiting for a chance to get together. I had 2 other offers in the meantime which i said sorry already have a deal in place. We exchanged info and he even called me twice to apologize for the delay we finally picked a day. That morning he ghosted me and never showed up. I was so pissed but forgot to negative rep him to warn the next person. Don't make the same mistake.

What's the big deal about posting again if it falls through? The chances are low

It's not that.

I had a deal working, marked it SPF, got the funds, shipped the item, and some mod deleted it which is waaaaay off from what any other similar board would do.

I typically tell buyers that I won't mark it sold until they receive the item. That way they get a chance to compare the item received against my crappy pictures. Nope-deleted ad, and no chance for the buyer to easily compare pics vs the item.

It's not that.

I had a deal working, marked it SPF, got the funds, shipped the item, and some mod deleted it which is waaaaay off from what any other similar board would do.

I typically tell buyers that I won't mark it sold until they receive the item. That way they get a chance to compare the item received against my crappy pictures. Nope-deleted ad, and no chance for the buyer to easily compare pics vs the item.
Gotcha. Makes sense

Came here to post this. It's a dick move, but not sure it raises to neg rep territory. I'd only neg rep if I actually drove to meet the person and they backed out after I left. Otherwise I'd just put the item back on the market and chalk it up to dickheads being dickheads.

On the other hand, I'd be tempted to name him. Maybe not a neg rep, but a public shaming might be appropriate.
disagree with you completely. A deal is a deal. If you back out the Neg rep is absolutely warranted. I have been on that side years ago on a 1911 where there were multiple for sale and i had made a deal and agreed to meet. Guy stopped responding and also missed out on the second one as well because i believed the first guy. As i get older i waste zero time defending shitty behavior. Id call the guy out and neg rep. This occurs far to often both online and in person. People have no honor.

NYyNuH4.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Sooo....that list proves my point exactly. Thank you!

Nothing of value was exchanged. Per your list, its not a deal.

Sooo....that list proves my point exactly. Thank you!

Nothing of value was exchanged. Per your list, its not a deal.

I'll disagree. "...or for action or inaction" starts as soon as the buyer calls his boss or his babysitter. Or goes to PayPal to transfer funds, or to the ATM to fetch some cash. There are a number of ways in which the seller loses time or energy as the result of an unconsummated deal.

depends what value you put on time and honor.

well, the deal would have been about $100… so we weren’t talking high value…

honestly, the seller’s profile says they are 27… not that I put much on age when making a deal, but the way the seller backed out was kind of immature, so…

We list something to low, get a quick deal and then regret it when the better offers come in.
Since when does anybody on this site start off low? There are a very few that list something for a fair price in the beginning, like a very rare G19 Gen 5 for a $1000, but never low! It's just not the NES way!

I made a deal with a member on their WTS ad yesterday. We agreed on price, we agreed on location to meet, and we agreed that I would reach back today to dial in plans to meet up.

After reaching back to the seller today, they backed out of the deal, stating :

“Actually I just got another offer for the [Redacted Item] from a member a little closer and closer to my asking price so I'm gonna go with them for now.…I just got a better offer from someone else I'm sorry”

So, I offered the seller this option:

“look, I get it… but when you make a deal, you honor that deal…even if a better offer comes along 5 minutes later. We left thing with an agreed price and location to meet, and plans to dial in final timing today.

so I’ll be honorable and offer you a deal since you’re backing out on ours —

1. public shaming?
2. Negative feedback?
3. Or reconsider our deal as originally agreed?

choice is yours…”

So what say you NES… negative rep? Post their User Id here?

The seller has replied:

“Public shaming? I'm sorry but I've had numerous people back out on deals with me and never threatened them with negative feedback and public shaming. I understand your upset and I apologize again but I feel as if I should be able to choose who and how I sell my items.”

So what does the brain trust think…?

I honor my deals. Maybe that is too much of an expectation?
100% leave negative feedback. This is the definition of bad faith and the purpose of the feedback system

I might still try to buy something from the seller in question if he has something I want, even knowing about this douchy situation. Worst case he flakes on the deal and I got my hopes up only to be let down. That’s why it’s good to have the neg rep info though, so you don’t get those hopes up too high.

Negative feedback sounds an awful lot like pitching a temper tantrum because you didn't get the deal you wanted.
If that was the case, I wouldn’t have asked for NES opinion or opted to leave neutral feedback.

it’s less about getting the item/deal agreed upon and more about being honorable to the deal agreed. As many have said, some of us view it as an electronic handshake

My experience with buyers and sellers on NES has been mostly positive. Armslist, on the other hand, is the worst… Besides the scammers, I’ve had people trying to buy my firearm without an LTC, people offering to trade illegal drugs. If there’s a “Stupid Shit Seen on Armslist” thread, I have plenty to share.

Negative feedback sounds an awful lot like pitching a temper tantrum because you didn't get the deal you wanted.
That's a dramatic take on the meaning of "negative feedback" to my thinking, but to each his own. Feedback reflects on the person leaving it as well. That's why you should stick to the facts without embellishment or commentary. Convey why it was a negative experience for you. In this case, if it just says "We had a deal and a meet up scheduled, but the guy backed out because he got a better offer," as a prospective buyer on some other item, I wouldn't worry so much about this seller defrauding me or anything like that, just that he might back out. Good to know. I understand the OP left neutral feedback instead. That might be the best choice when there was no serious inconvenience. I do not think I would have presented the seller with any choices, however.

Id give the negative feedback, and explain why in the post......
we are seeing a new generation of less honorable people........
A member here - Bob P - gave me negative feedback because on a Thursday I made an appointment to look at a gun on Saturday. Then told him on Friday I couldn’t make it. He apparently thinks interest is a commitment to buy.

So now on my ads I clarify that any sales are subject to your in-person inspection and approval, and only then is it a sale. You really have to spell it out these days.

Back
Top Bottom