• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSA: Honor your WTS deal too much to ask?

To the NES brain trust: does the reason for backing out matter?

This seller was honest enough to say sorry I got a better offer. But what if he/she had a change of heart and didn't sell at all?
Or what if seller found out brother/sister wanted it and then sold it to them? And what if the price was higher/lower?

Interesting thought experiment. Should show that it is all up to judgement, as is the buyer's decision on how to react/respond

The reason matters as much as the item does for backing out of a basically done deal. “I want to keep this REVOLVER because XYZ” is certainly more understandable than “I want to sell this upper receiver, foregrip, scope, case of ammo, etc. to someone else for more money”.

Accessories aren’t firearms and carry with them less intrinsic value, for the most part.

Absolutely it does, having a change of heart and keeping an item does not warrant a negative, what this seller did, reneged on a deal for an extra couple dollars, is a dickhead move and shows his true colors. He needs to be known as a guy who's word doesn't mean shit.
I disagree if the buyer committed to it and the seller craps out. Especially if its like "oh lets meet Tuesday, done deal ill call/txt you to firm up the time" Days pass, Tuesday morning comes and the guy craps out. Now as the buyer i potentially just got f***ed on "loss of opportunity"- had i known the guy was going to crap out, I could have used the wasted time to make arrangements with some other seller of the same item. This is an even bigger deal in a more turbulent market.

IMHO crapout artists deserve negs. It's not that hard to not commit to a deal up front if you're uncertain.

I get it there are rare exceptions or whatever say Grandma dies or something and you can't sell the item for a while even if I was the seller in that case I would tell the buyer the item is still available exclusively to him if he wants to wait.

I disagree if the buyer committed to it and the seller craps out. Especially if its like "oh lets meet Tuesday, done deal ill call/txt you to firm up the time" Days pass, Tuesday morning comes and the guy craps out. Now as the buyer i potentially just got f***ed on "loss of opportunity"- had i known the guy was going to crap out, I could have used the wasted time to make arrangements with some other seller of the same item. This is an even bigger deal in a more turbulent market.

IMHO crapout artists deserve negs. It's not that hard to not commit to a deal up front if you're uncertain.

I get it there are rare exceptions or whatever say Grandma dies or something and you can't sell the item for a while even if I was the seller in that case I would tell the buyer the item is still available exclusively to him if he wants to wait.
Also. People change thier schedule to get to meet. Even ask bosses to get out by a certain time on said day

I must be missing something. No money was exchanged? The item was not exchanged? Then you didn't have a deal.

Try using your method buying a car, or real estate.

What? Your feedback stats speak to your ignorance on the matter. Not to gate-keep or anything, but to agree on a price and begin to finalize details for meeting to exchange currency for items, equates to a done deal. It’s damn near a written agreement.

I must be missing something. No money was exchanged? The item was not exchanged? Then you didn't have a deal.

Try using your method buying a car, or real estate.

The deal on just about every other forum classifieds is a commitment to the transaction.

Now that commitment does have some contingencies such as the item being as described, but once we have an agreement to a transaction-it's a deal.

For the most part 99.9 percent of the people I have dealt with on this forum have been great people. I had guys agree to a price and quantity and meet up for a day or to later. Then a day before meet up they change the quantity and want to change to lower price offer after we agreed to the transaction and meet up. Another person said they wanted a item I was selling and agreed on price and location to meet up on dates and everytime at the last minute 3 times he canceled with some lame excuse. So I told him to forget it and he acted like there was no problem. Other new members acting like keyboard commando collectors offering crazy lowball offers for items being sold. I act like a gentleman and then add them to my ignore list. Also I state the item is not sold or marked as SPF and all offers and correspondence are open until a deal and meet up is made complete.

For the most part 99.9 percent of the people I have dealt with on this forum have been great people. I had guys agree to a price and quantity and meet up for a day or to later. Then a day before meet up they change the quantity and want to change to lower price offer after we agreed to the transaction and meet up. Another person said they wanted a item I was selling and agreed on price and location to meet up on dates and everytime at the last minute 3 times he canceled with some lame excuse. So I told him to forget it and he acted like there was no problem. Other new members acting like keyboard commando collectors offering crazy lowball offers for items being sold. I act like a gentleman and then add them to my ignore list. Also I state the item is not sold or marked as SPF and all offers and correspondence are open until a deal and meet up is made complete.
I've marked as spf and had to change back to open but if there is a deal I change to spf. Makes the buyer feel locked in

Dude is a couch bag. His only contribution here is to sell. Neg rep his ass punish but to warn.

I have spoken…

I would like to introduce into conversation the term “couch bag”. Perhaps a misspoken douchebag, a couch bag is worthy of having multiple sweaty asses pressed upon it for at a minimum of a decades time.

NYyNuH4.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I've marked as spf and had to change back to open but if there is a deal I change to spf. Makes the buyer feel locked in

So I do that on every other board but here.

Unfortunately the rules say the mods will delete the SPF marked ads.

I prefer the ads to stay up so the buyer can get a good chance to look at the item and compare tot he pics(for shipped items).

I had a >$100 ad deleted after I marked it SPF, so I've stopped marking mine until the transaction is complete.

IMO, it's annoying that this board doesn't follow the basic norms that other firearms related boards follow.

Capture.JPG

I made a deal with a member on their WTS ad yesterday. We agreed on price, we agreed on location to meet, and we agreed that I would reach back today to dial in plans to meet up.

After reaching back to the seller today, they backed out of the deal, stating :

“Actually I just got another offer for the [Redacted Item] from a member a little closer and closer to my asking price so I'm gonna go with them for now.…I just got a better offer from someone else I'm sorry”

So, I offered the seller this option:

“look, I get it… but when you make a deal, you honor that deal…even if a better offer comes along 5 minutes later. We left thing with an agreed price and location to meet, and plans to dial in final timing today.

so I’ll be honorable and offer you a deal since you’re backing out on ours —

1. public shaming?
2. Negative feedback?
3. Or reconsider our deal as originally agreed?

choice is yours…”

So what say you NES… negative rep? Post their User Id here?

The seller has replied:

“Public shaming? I'm sorry but I've had numerous people back out on deals with me and never threatened them with negative feedback and public shaming. I understand your upset and I apologize again but I feel as if I should be able to choose who and how I sell my items.”

So what does the brain trust think…?

I honor my deals. Maybe that is too much of an expectation?

I don't really see it as shaming. I see it as a favor to the forum so that others will not waste their time on a seller that doesn't honor a deal. Technically, can't you leave negative feedback? Trying to remember who it was as it was years ago, but I had someone do this to me once.

Back
Top Bottom