• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSA: Honor your WTS deal too much to ask?

For the most part the guys I have dealt with on this forum are good people,
but I have run into a few that are just losers. These are the ones that make
a deal with a few people and then jump on the one, that is the fastest and
easiest to get to.Feedback is there to let the next person know whom they are
dealing with.

My 100% positive feedback is important to me. I value it. I go out of my way for deals. Sometimes it's hard for me to meet. But I'm up front about it.

I would never be able to send a message saying I got a better offer. I would expect a neg feedback. f*** that

I made a deal with a member on their WTS ad yesterday. We agreed on price, we agreed on location to meet, and we agreed that I would reach back today to dial in plans to meet up.

After reaching back to the seller today, they backed out of the deal, stating :

“Actually I just got another offer for the [Redacted Item] from a member a little closer and closer to my asking price so I'm gonna go with them for now.…I just got a better offer from someone else I'm sorry”

So, I offered the seller this option:

“look, I get it… but when you make a deal, you honor that deal…even if a better offer comes along 5 minutes later. We left thing with an agreed price and location to meet, and plans to dial in final timing today.

so I’ll be honorable and offer you a deal since you’re backing out on ours —

1. public shaming?
2. Negative feedback?
3. Or reconsider our deal as originally agreed?

choice is yours…”

So what say you NES… negative rep? Post their User Id here?

The seller has replied:

“Public shaming? I'm sorry but I've had numerous people back out on deals with me and never threatened them with negative feedback and public shaming. I understand your upset and I apologize again but I feel as if I should be able to choose who and how I sell my items.”

So what does the brain trust think…?

I honor my deals. Maybe that is too much of an expectation?
Because you didn't agree on a pickup location and it was less than 24hrs, I would say f*ck it and move on.

If you had already agreed on a pickup location and date and 3 days after agreeing he backed out to sell to someone else, I would leave NEG REP.

Still a shitty thing to do from a seller.

If you do give the seller herpes (neg rep), make sure you write some details. Don't be that guy that types one word.

I've had that happen before. Gave an offer and they wanted a day or so. That's fair
An offer being made is not the same as a "deal". That would be offer + acceptance of the offer. What I said, and you agreed with is just a gathering of information, for a potential future "deal".

So, is a neg rep more, or less, severe punishment than outing their name here?

Unless it's a Flobert parlor rifle. Then? Normal rules don't apply. Those things are WAY too desirable to be logical about.
Me, I'm holding out for a Florbert. [rofl]

Edit- holy run on sentence batman. I be handing out commas like candy corn on Halloween.
A.k.a. "Comma Corn".
5pydf0.jpg

As long as this doesn’t get to the point of one user telling the other user they’re getting a lawyer involved…..do whatever you want.
Self-representation in small claims court should suffice.

An offer being made is not the same as a "deal". That would be offer + acceptance of the offer. What I said, and you agreed with is just a gathering of information, for a potential future "deal".
Exactly. I agree. It's working toward a deal. No guarantees at that point. Or i have had them come back and say I need a day to think about that but if you come to this price we will have a deal. Sometimes it's only a matter or 50 or so dollars. I'll for sure want to be fair

To the NES brain trust: does the reason for backing out matter?

This seller was honest enough to say sorry I got a better offer. But what if he/she had a change of heart and didn't sell at all?
Or what if seller found out brother/sister wanted it and then sold it to them? And what if the price was higher/lower?

Interesting thought experiment. Should show that it is all up to judgement, as is the buyer's decision on how to react/respond

Came here to post this. It's a dick move, but not sure it raises to neg rep territory. I'd only neg rep if I actually drove to meet the person and they backed out after I left. Otherwise I'd just put the item back on the market and chalk it up to dickheads being dickheads.

On the other hand, I'd be tempted to name him. Maybe not a neg rep, but a public shaming might be appropriate.
No, backing out after agreeing is a neg rep, unless I know the guy and he has a good reason.

Like if @drgrant had a gun for sale, we agreed on a time to meet and a day later he told me he was sorry but the gun is sentimental and it feels great on his soft palms, I wouldn't give him a neg rep. The same goes for the 40 or so guys I have either met or know that people have met and talk good about and are active on the forum.

But some dude that only posts to bump their adds and is here to only sell (while I think it is nice because it keeps the classifieds alive), if we agreed on a location and the day after you bail out and the reason is to sell to someone else... INSTANT HERPES.

What happened to a mans word is his bond. I say out him. I think it is even worse that is was less than 24 hrs since you guys had agreed. I could almost see if you told him you needed 3 weeks to get the funds, but if it was for the next day and just trying to finalize a location and exact time 👎

This seller was honest enough to say sorry I got a better offer. But what if he/she had a change of heart and didn't sell at all?
Or what if seller found out brother/sister wanted it and then sold it to them? And what if the price was higher/lower?

Interesting thought experiment. Should show that it is all up to judgement, as is the buyer's decision on how to react/respond

At that point, the seller is throwing themselves on the mercy of the buyer, hoping to convince them their reason was valid. That's fair.

The only thing I'd accept is family stuff: you decided to pass it on to your son (though you should have thought of that already, frankly) or, if a buyer, your dad passed and you suddenly need the cash for airfare. Something like that.

Because you didn't agree on a pickup location and it was less than 24hrs, I would say f*ck it and move on.

If you had already agreed on a pickup location and date and 3 days after agreeing he backed out to sell to someone else, I would leave NEG REP.

Still a shitty thing to do from a seller.

If you do give the seller herpes (neg rep), make sure you write some details. Don't be that guy that types one word.

we agreed on a pick up location as I was out to dinner last night with the GF… seller proposed the location to meet up. I agreed. I told them I was out to dinner last night and asked to connect today… which I did earlier this afternoon…

Absolutely it does, having a change of heart and keeping an item does not warrant a negative, what this seller did, reneged on a deal for an extra couple dollars, is a dickhead move and shows his true colors. He needs to be known as a guy who's word doesn't mean shit.

we agreed on a pick up location as I was out to dinner last night with the GF… seller proposed the location to meet up. I agreed. I told them I was out to dinner last night and asked to connect today… which I did earlier this afternoon…
F*ck it. Give him internet herpes then.

That red mark never goes away.

For sure. If I get the impression im being dicked around for reasons im not going to be happy.

If the other party has to back out and the reasons in my opinion legitimate, what can I say about it. Shit happens.

Rep should not be used to punish people. It should be used to warn others or praise the other party.

Last edited:
I say negative feedback is warranted at that point of the agreement. People's word means less and less these day's and it's dam sad. I had a guy back out on our deal a few weeks ago. At the point my babysitter was set up right before the meet up and he bailed on the deal. I wish I had Neg rep'd him.

Back
Top Bottom