PSA for Hunting people

Hwy Htr

NES Member
Hi Everyone,
I'm just putting this out there for everyone who may be hunting, at least in southern NH, possibly Ma soon. I in NH and bought my usual muzzy license and have been up in the tree stand most of the 10 days we get ahead of the regular firearms hunters. That being said, today I was up in the stand early and after about an hour, a piece of heavy equipment decided to start their work day. With the amount of noise going on and not seeing any deer, I decided to climb down and do a stalk hunt. Machine noise would help cover my walking footsteps on the terrain. Well after walking and seeing zero deer I called it a day. When I started to remove the layers of clothes it became apparent I picked up some hitchhikers. I found 3 small ticks on me. 2 of them managed to get under 2 jackets and a long sleeve shirt. 1 on my chest and the other on my lower back. That 1 got me really surprised as I wore bibs this am!! I won't be walking again till its either had a cold spell out or no brush to walk by. I've had zero ticks on me every time I've been in the stand.
So take caution out there if your walking the land. Warm weather has kept these little bastards around.

Happy birthday to the Marines and Thanks to all of our Veteran's!!🇺🇸

After a 2 hour rabbit walk a few weekends ago I found no fewer 20 Tics on me when I checked myself when I got back to the truck. Most were on my pants but a handful made it to my skin mostly on my sides and lower back. I don't give a flipping shit I stripped all my shirts off and used the truck side mirror to check myself out and then pulled my trousers down to my knees (was wearing briefs too and I didn't give a f***). None of them had embedded yet which was good. I was wearing permethrin treated pants and coat too but they were treated awhile ago. Apparently its time for a new coat of permethrin

I must have walked through a tic bomb.

The deer I shot last Saturday had only a couple that I could see......I was expecting an infested deer when I started dressing him out based on how bad they have been but it was not bad at all.

20201111_114106.jpg

Same here with the ticks. Recently treated my boots, backpack and outer layers with the spray and haven't had one tick on me the past three times I've been out. Haven't used the lotion yet.

View attachment 410237

Same here with the ticks. Recently treated my boots, backpack and outer layers with the spray and haven't had one tick on me the past three times I've been out. Haven't used the lotion yet.
I got the same one. The damn trigger broke after a half dozen shots. Need to move to another bottle.

View attachment 410237

I love this stuff, just need to make sure no cats are around while the clothing is still wet - instant death sentance.

OK, I was in a bit of a rush to get the PSA out there and well maybe it will be hunting people soon.. New Guy!!LOL
I have never heard of Picaridin but I'm be heading out to get some based on what you have mentioned about it working so well. Thanks a lot for the info.

Cheers, and good hunting, whatever the prey may be....[mg]

Picaridin is good stuff, works on skin and clothing and doesn't have the downsides of DEET and is generally non-toxic to cats, birds. Downside of Picaridin and DEET is that unlike they won't kill biting insects, there are purely deterrent/repellent.

For shoes and clothes dedicated to walking in the woods, I still use the pyrethroid spray every six weeks.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I was on a FB group and someone commented about walking around Massatoilet State Pk and how many ticks (30) were on the dog afterwards. Seems to be the HEIGHT of tick season. Damn. I was traipsing around Lake Nip on Sunday. Seemed to come out unscathed but very little long grass or anything that we walked thru.

Oh yeah. I was on a FB group and someone commented about walking around Massatoilet State Pk and how many ticks (30) were on the dog afterwards. Seems to be the HEIGHT of tick season. Damn. I was traipsing around Lake Nip on Sunday. Seemed to come out unscathed but very little long grass or anything that we walked thru.
the extended treatments (K9/Frontline/etc) do a real number on ticks -- they still climb onto the dog and hitch a ride home, but never live long enough to latch on, the ones we find are twitching or just crawling around in a circle until they expire.

Frontline works well in combination with Picaridin, as the latter is purely a repellent, not an insecticide.

the extended treatments (K9/Frontline/etc) do a real number on ticks -- they still climb onto the dog and hitch a ride home, but never live long enough to latch on, the ones we find are twitching or just crawling around in a circle until they expire.

Frontline works well in combination with Picaridin, as the latter is purely a repellent, not an insecticide.
Can the Picaridin be put on dogs year round ? As in camping in the Whites, spring , summer, and fall ? Thank You. Paul

Another vote for Permethrin. I will be applying to several sets of hunting clothes a few days before shotgun deer season starts. Holy crap that's 2.5 weeks away!

Hi Everyone,
I'm just putting this out there for everyone who may be hunting, at least in southern NH, possibly Ma soon. I in NH and bought my usual muzzy license and have been up in the tree stand most of the 10 days we get ahead of the regular firearms hunters. That being said, today I was up in the stand early and after about an hour, a piece of heavy equipment decided to start their work day. With the amount of noise going on and not seeing any deer, I decided to climb down and do a stalk hunt. Machine noise would help cover my walking footsteps on the terrain. Well after walking and seeing zero deer I called it a day. When I started to remove the layers of clothes it became apparent I picked up some hitchhikers. I found 3 small ticks on me. 2 of them managed to get under 2 jackets and a long sleeve shirt. 1 on my chest and the other on my lower back. That 1 got me really surprised as I wore bibs this am!! I won't be walking again till its either had a cold spell out or no brush to walk by. I've had zero ticks on me every time I've been in the stand.
So take caution out there if your walking the land. Warm weather has kept these little bastards around.

Happy birthday to the Marines and Thanks to all of our Veteran's!!🇺🇸
If you wear white or blaze orange you can see ticks easily. Or just use a deet spray.

Fixxah, one thing to really never do is wear white while out hunting or for that matter even walking where hunters may be. Some may mistake your white clothing for a white tail deer and "hunt you down". I'm mocking myself there since my title to this thread seems to have some members disappointed!!
I still do appreciate the input as to how some product work as a repellent while others are a insecticide.

Bottom line of this topic, ticks are out & can cause harm to both humans and their pets. SO some form of protection is always a good thing.

Ticks are still active. I just found one on me from being in the woods today.

Back
Top Bottom