PSA - Don't throw out your old license

wheelgun

NES Member
I was at B&K today in Natick, to process a transfer from Cooler (nice place, nice guy). I filled out all the paperwork and handed the owner my license. After a minute he said there's a problem. :(

I started the process to renew my license about a month ago. It was due to expire in December, so I wanted to make sure there was enough time to complete it. I was pleasantly surprised to get the new one in only about 3 weeks, great.

What I didn't realize however, is that the new license can't be used until its term starts in December. In other words to make any purchases between now and December I have to use my old license. Of course I didn't have the old one with me, so had to put my transaction with B&K on hold until I could return with the old license. I also was lucky that I still had a copy of the PIN that goes with the old license.

So just keep in mind, licenses are not like credit cards. You can't use the new one until the old one expires. They have a start date and end date and can only be used within that range.

What? Why? Your license number is the same, at least for me it was. The only difference is the star on top and “Not for Federal ID” is removed.

You’re saying I have to carry both for the next 2 years?

You're correct that the license number is the same. My old one had no "star" or "Not for Federal ID" on it. So my new and old are identical on the front. Apparently the Feds have no problem using the new license, but the guy said the State won't accept it until it starts in December.

ETA: Just to clarify, my old one expires Dec 2019, and the new one starts Dec 2019.

You renewed your LTC two years early?

Not LTC, but drivers license, and I renewed it that early because we’re going to Austria next year and I don’t know when the provision for flying out of or in between US airports goes into effect. It’s at some point next year.

OP, did you get a new PIN on the early LTC? Maybe you need to use the old PIN with the new card? Your post was not clear on if you tried new card/old PIN or not.
Maybe Brian can try it that way and still be legal...?

Also, December is a looong way away. Maybe you could contact the FRB and find out what happens if you loose your current LTC, but have a future LTC on hand. Maybe they can update on their end and help you out?

Last edited:
OP, did you get a new PIN on the early LTC? Maybe you need to use the old PIN with the new card?
Maybe Brian can try it that way and still be legal...?
Brian never even reached the point of asking me for my PIN, that's not the issue. I have to go back with my old license (and associated PIN) to complete the transaction. The new license can't be used for anything until it "starts", at least as far as Mass. is concerned. The Feds apparently don't have such restrictions.

to process a transfer from Cooler

Any chance you can ask him if he still has the pedestal sink for sale? I've been contemplating the purchase since I joined NES, but I actually think I'm finally ready to buy.

ftr...I bought a Marlin 1936 off Cooler at his home years back and he has a LOT of really cool stuff!

Any chance you can ask him if he still has the pedestal sink for sale? I've been contemplating the purchase since I joined NES, but I actually think I'm finally ready to buy.

ftr...I bought a Marlin 1936 off Cooler at his home years back and he has a LOT of really cool stuff!
Wait, as part of my deal you want me to ask Cooler if he'll throw in the kitchen sink? :D

I was at B&K today in Natick, to process a transfer from Cooler (nice place, nice guy). I filled out all the paperwork and handed the owner my license. After a minute he said there's a problem. :(

I started the process to renew my license about a month ago. It was due to expire in December, so I wanted to make sure there was enough time to complete it. I was pleasantly surprised to get the new one in only about 3 weeks, great.

What I didn't realize however, is that the new license can't be used until its term starts in December. In other words to make any purchases between now and December I have to use my old license. Of course I didn't have the old one with me, so had to put my transaction with B&K on hold until I could return with the old license. I also was lucky that I still had a copy of the PIN that goes with the old license.

So just keep in mind, licenses are not like credit cards. You can't use the new one until the old one expires. They have a start date and end date and can only be used within that range.
Umm, reading the new LTC would have avoided that problem. The "date of issue" stated on it is the date it becomes valid and not a day earlier. I never carry the new one until my birthday, I just put it and the PIN letter in my safe until then. I've seen others with the same problem as you encountered, but reading it should avoid the problem altogether.

What? Why? Your license number is the same, at least for me it was. The only difference is the star on top and “Not for Federal ID” is removed.

You’re saying I have to carry both for the next 2 years?
Not DLs here, OP is referring to LTCs and those numbers do change ever time you renew (and your PIN does also).

AS to LTCs - ALWAYS keep your last 4ever as long as it has not been revoked for a reason other than file change of address; you become a PP; or you have been denied a renewal. The expired LTC turns possession/carry without a license from a criminal PP manufacturing offense into a non-criminal civil one (carrying with an expired LTC)

The new license can't be used for anything until it "starts", at least as far as Mass. is concerned.

How does the State know which LTC you are handing the salesman...?
If the LTC number is the same and you still have the old PIN, I'd sell you the gun, and ask you not to shoot anyone till after December... [smile]

ok mr. wheelgun, two things, never post here about your bonehead rookies mistakes and never publicly admit a deal with cooler. you want your post count to go up, toss a rip in the shitload of death threads we get weekly, "famous" people you never heard of, dogs, cats, possums, rabbits etc. we get 10-15 a week.

The new license can't be used for anything until it "starts", at least as far as Mass. is concerned.

For clarification, if you cannot "buy" a gun because your new LTC has not gone into effect, and you no longer have your old LTC, does that mean that you are currently unlicensed and CCW and possession are also not lawful?

So, lawful to CCW and posses? How do you prove you are legal to Leo..?

AS to LTCs - ALWAYS keep your last 4ever as long as it has not been revoked for a reason other than file change of address; you become a PP; or you have been denied a renewal. The expired LTC turns possession/carry without a license from a criminal PP manufacturing offense into a non-criminal civil one (carrying with an expired LTC)
Good to know. My thread title was a bit misleading, as I do keep all my past licenses. I just don't usually keep the old PIN's written down. In this case I had a backup file that saved me in that respect.

Not LTC, but drivers license, and I renewed it that early because we’re going to Austria next year and I don’t know when the provision for flying out of or in between US airports goes into effect. It’s at some point next year.
Pretty sure that real ID is only good for boarding flights in North America. If going to Austria I think you still need a passport.

You can't.

So LEO can confiscate until things get sorted out. Or you can submit a request for a replacement LTC (dupe of the one you threw away).

What I’ve seen done is someone takes their receipt from their renewal appointment and make the size of a credit card, laminate it, and keep it next to their expired LTC. No word on whether it would work or not, but at least some proof of legality is with you while you wait for the new one to come in.

Pretty sure that real ID is only good for boarding flights in North America. If going to Austria I think you still need a passport.

I have a passport. I thought you needed a Real ID for any flights originating from the US. Thanks for the head’s up.

What I’ve seen done is someone takes their receipt from their renewal appointment and make the size of a credit card, laminate it, and keep it next to their expired LTC. No word on whether it would work or not, but at least some proof of legality is with you while you wait for the new one to come in.
BTDT That's perfectly legal. Dealers can choose to do business or refuse but the last sentence on that MIRCS receipt makes it clear that there is an infinite grace period with same privileges as the expired LTC.

Back
Top Bottom