• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PRS type matches in the region?

Maybe you have to have a Magpul PRS, if you dont, then you can't compete in the match. [laugh]

It would seem not. And I am not really prepared to risk any travel into MA with my firearms, legal there or otherwise.

As for "PRS type" matches, I wrote it that way because Precision Rifle Series or PRS is a sanctioned match series and not all matches of this type are, but those who participate would understand. For those that don't know what it is, PRS along with F class are the fastest growing most popular type competitive rifle shooting in the US today.

Just looking for alternatives to feed my competition shooting jones. After living in Tennessee for the last few decades and shooting a dozen or more competitions a yr I am finding this entire region to be rather lacking. I'm already getting my travel plans squared away for the Canadian Nationals and the Worlds in Canada later this yr, the East Coast Fullbore matches in Butner, and maybe the nationals at Lodi and/or the Spirit of America matches in Raton.

There's a pretty good highpower scene around here if you're into that sort of thing. Nashua and Pelham in NH run a lot of matches, also Scarboro in ME, Reading in MA and Camp Ethan Allen in VT. There are some other clubs that run highpower too (Keene, NH and Hamden, ME for example) but have more abbreviated schedules. Additionally some other clubs that don't have full size ranges run reduced matches. All in all there's at least one highpower match every Saturday and every Sunday somewhere in New England during the season. Often if one club is running a course match another club pretty close by will be running a prone match. F-class shooters are always welcome in the prone matches but for whatever reason we typically don't get a ton of F-class shooters around here. It seems like a lot of the prone shooters that show up are current or former course shooters who kept their course guns and like to shoot from a sling but that doesn't mean F-class guys are unwelcome.

PRS "style" matches are slowly picking up. Granby started up last year. There was also the Green Mountain Rifle Challenge in VT last year and I assume they'll run it again this year. I've heard rumors about Pemi possibly running a few. It's sort of hard to run a "real" PRS match around here because very few of the existing clubs around here have the facilities to do it right.

Here's a consolidated calendar that shows the schedules for most of the main rifle clubs in the area: http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/2017/2017_NE_Combined_Schedule_15FEB2017.pdf

Last edited:
I am primarily an F-TR shooter, but this winter I've picked up some of the missing pieces to my service rifle kit and plan to start shooting SR locally this yr. I just got a SCATT system and i have a scope on order from the Leupy Custom shop to put on my WOA AR. As luck would have it the day after the SCATT got delivered I broke my left wrist, so no slinging up to practice for another 2 months.

I've got Colonie on my calander for 4 LR matches this yr, but one of them is the weekend I'd have to travel to shoot the Full Bore matches at Butner, and I really like shooting full bore and the only chances I get to shoot 2 to a mound are Butner and Raton if I can make it out to Spirit of America out there.

I am primarily an F-TR shooter, but this winter I've picked up some of the missing pieces to my service rifle kit and plan to start shooting SR locally this yr. I just got a SCATT system and i have a scope on order from the Leupy Custom shop to put on my WOA AR. As luck would have it the day after the SCATT got delivered I broke my left wrist, so no slinging up to practice for another 2 months.

I've got Colonie on my calander for 4 LR matches this yr, but one of them is the weekend I'd have to travel to shoot the Full Bore matches at Butner, and I really like shooting full bore and the only chances I get to shoot 2 to a mound are Butner and Raton if I can make it out to Spirit of America out there.

Cool, hope to see you on the range at some point.

Back
Top Bottom