• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PRS Rimfire noob thread

so, from what i can tell from looking at your groups there - the green circle below is most likely an ammo/gun and rest of it is you.

as of SK - get long range match most, and can get standard and rifle match too.

next time - try to ditch the bipod and shoot it from a heavy bag, just for the fun of it, and compare results.

my cz457 likes norma, but not all barrels do. and it hates sk standard - i posted thread about it some time ago.

View attachment 733021
That was the first Target I shot after bore sighting and was planning around with the turrets. You're definitely right about me being part of the problem and not 100% ammo related though. Same with the bag. I tried a couple groups off a bag on the bench but honestly felt more stable using the bipod. Out of the SK, Lapua and Eley what have you found works the best for you?

That was the first Target I shot after bore sighting and was planning around with the turrets. You're definitely right about me being part of the problem and not 100% ammo related though. Same with the bag. I tried a couple groups off a bag on the bench but honestly felt more stable using the bipod. Out of the SK, Lapua and Eley what have you found works the best for you?
i never got lapua as most of my experiments aligned with total ammo draught. i shoot for my own pleasure, and i got used to the way how norma groups, as i got plenty of it - like, a lot. :)
it works well for my both ruger mark4 and cz 457.

for the price of SK and Eley - i think SK gets a bit better rating. Eley Tenex was grouping slightly better than eley match - but, again, they are both expensive, and improvement over SK rifle match is quite ephemeral.

it is really a game of what is the ratio of price vs performance, for your specific gun. if your gun really hates that norma tac and is simply not consistent with it at all - you need to find what will work better. may be with a barrel tuner involved.

for most the SK rifle match and long range match works well. i just ordered 2 bricks of long range from there - as i know i will use it and it will work for me - but, if you look at my other post - sk standard did not work for me too well, at least not to justify its price above norma tac.

try setting trigger for 1lb, play with it more, see how it groups on clean barrel, on a barrel after 100 shots, on a dirtier barrel after 200/300 shots, how speed differs - right now you got a brand new gun, you will need to beat it up a bit, and use a chrono to monitor the speed. keep shooting at 100yds until you get a consistent feel of what happens.

Last edited:
Most of the guys I compete with in PRS22 shoot either SKRM, SK Std or CTR X. I shoot SKRM and it is plenty accurate at distance for what I do.

Wind is more the problem than anything at distance. Couldn't say for sure, if misses at distance are inconsistent ammo or the wind. I've had hits at 350-400 with SKRM. SKRM is a happy medium for me, cost vs performance.

Like @paul73 said that new rifle needs some rounds on it. It will need at least 1000 rnds on the barrel before it is even starts to settle in.

I'm running a RimX with a proof barrel and it shot like shit at 50yds before I put an EC V2 tuner on it. My Bergara barreled action is lights out with no tuner. Go figure!

Been wanting to grab a more accurate bolt gun to try and dabble into this myself. Have a few hot rodded 10/22’s and a savage mk 2 in a chassis. Watching all the reviews for usual players and found this interesting.

He shot production class and won that division and finished 2nd overall.

I’m leaning heavy towards the MTR 457. Cant find any reviews that say don’t buy it.

View: https://youtu.be/u4R_3p6gcdQ

I always found this interesting. If you want to skip the trial and error have Lapua do lot testing for you. Lapua test center. I know there are others, I think eley does it as well. They will test their full range of products and find a specific lot number that shoots well for you barrel/action. The service is only like $100, and then they sell you the ammo directly. I think

Been wanting to grab a more accurate bolt gun to try and dabble into this myself. Have a few hot rodded 10/22’s and a savage mk 2 in a chassis. Watching all the reviews for usual players and found this interesting.

I’m leaning heavy towards the MTR 457. Cant find any reviews that say don’t buy it.

Hers my current MTR setup. I love it thus far. My first and only bolt gun

PXL_20230218_192707881.jpg

You won’t find any reviews that say don’t. So go ahead and buy one.

Update

At 4700 rounds the bolt stop broke on my Vudoo.
PXL_20230507_203409203.jpg PXL_20230507_203841051.jpg

I'm hard on my stuff, I run the bolt like it owes me money. I whipped this up and finished the match
PXL_20230507_170318957.jpg

I contacted Vudoo the following day. I assumed they would send out a replacement part. Instead they sent a shipping label for the whole barreled action so they could install the "bombproof" updated part. The whole process was pretty hassle-free. I have the rifle back and assembled and scope back on. I had a little issue getting the trigger set up and working properly. Also it looks like they cleaned my barrel, so I'll have to season it back in. I won't have a chance to shoot until Sundays match. I can't think of a single thing that could go wrong.

Update

View attachment 760457View attachment 760458

I'm hard on my stuff, I run the bolt like it owes me money. I whipped this up and finished the match
View attachment 760459

I contacted Vudoo the following day. I assumed they would send out a replacement part. Instead they sent a shipping label for the whole barreled action so they could install the "bombproof" updated part. The whole process was pretty hassle-free. I have the rifle back and assembled and scope back on. I had a little issue getting the trigger set up and working properly. Also it looks like they cleaned my barrel, so I'll have to season it back in. I won't have a chance to shoot until Sundays match. I can't think of a single thing that could go wrong.
The socket extension ingenuity is genius...

Update

View attachment 760457View attachment 760458

View attachment 760459

meh, 20-30rnds and you'll be good. glad to hear your shipping experience was successful. I had a barreled action get lost in TX on the way to a gunsmith, but thankfully recovered. I'll never ship a firearm again.

Hmm, I don't know why, but this is peaking my interest.
Is there a decent gun "out of the box" that already comes in a chassis that you can just throw a scope on and play?
I was thinking maybe a Ruger Precision Rimfire, but I don't know if that will cut it.

I would like a few suggestions that I can go off and research, then buy, then learn that I bought the wrong gun and need something different. That's usually when I tell my wife that the first one was "for the kids..."

Picking the CZ 457 MTR now at bobs now in webster and he has two more coming in next week if anyone is looking.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I’d be more interested in the aluminum chassis version, do you know if he’s getting one of those? I’m not a big fan of wood stocks personally. They seem like they’re just too nice for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I’d be more interested in the aluminum chassis version, do you know if he’s getting one of those? I’m not a big fan of wood stocks personally. They seem like they’re just too nice for me.
Ive not seen any around at all. I think there is a used one in the classifieds here. Edit. Looks like it sold

Last edited:
My 2 cents...buy the wood stock version and throw an arca rail on it and save money. Shoot some matches and ask folks if you can get behind a couple different chassis, see what you like and what works for you, then upgrade the chassis. The chassis on the factory CZ variant is nothing special and there are more feature-rich aftermarket options available. I think the chassis variant also has a 16" barrel, where the wood stock variant has a 20".

I’m
My 2 cents...buy the wood stock version and throw an arca rail on it and save money. Shoot some matches and ask folks if you can get behind a couple different chassis, see what you like and what works for you, then upgrade the chassis. The chassis on the factory CZ variant is nothing special and there are more feature-rich aftermarket options available. I think the chassis variant also has a 16" barrel, where the wood stock variant has a 20".
Thanks. Right now, it's looking like the Bergara B14R, since that's about all I can easily find in a left hand version.

I’m

Thanks. Right now, it's looking like the Bergara B14R, since that's about all I can easily find in a left hand version.
So how do you mount a scope on this rifle? Do the rings bolt to the barrel? Do you attach a rail to the barrel and then a one piece scope mount to that?

Ok, can we start a list of all the other crap that's needed? I have no clue, but I imagine I am going to need:
- Sand bags/rests of some sort.
- Bipod.
- Phone app? Which one, Strelok doesn't seem to be available anymore.
- Shooting mat for prone shooting?
- Do you need a sling for these? What kind?

Oh boy, do I need a lot of stuff, but luckily, everyone is having labor day sales, so the sooner you guys can provide info, the sooner I can start shopping..

Thanks,
-Cuz

Ok, can we start a list of all the other crap that's needed? I have no clue, but I imagine I am going to need:
- Sand bags/rests of some sort.
- Bipod.
- Phone app? Which one, Strelok doesn't seem to be available anymore.
- Shooting mat for prone shooting?
- Do you need a sling for these? What kind?

Oh boy, do I need a lot of stuff, but luckily, everyone is having labor day sales, so the sooner you guys can provide info, the sooner I can start shopping..

Thanks,
-Cuz
There's a guy on YouTube, I think his name is womfat? He has a ton of videos on rimfire PRS stuff. Also make a wish list of what you might want if you can wait for Black Friday, it's right around the corner. You can scoop up some decent deals if you're savvy. We had a black Friday thread last year you can comb through to get an idea of what vendors have deals.

B14r is a great rifle.

Yes to a bipod.

Skip any bags for now until you can see what others are using, and how they are using them. You will have many opportunities to try them all.
GeoBallistics is the other free app that works well.

A mat isn't really necessary, but if you already have one it's good to have, actually if you want a free rubber gym mat I have a few on hand, that's all I use.
I've yet to see anyone ever use a sling

Re mounting a scope to a b14r, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it should take a rem700 rail. Get a 20moa.

We should be having one more match this year at Hopkinton on September 24.... If you need pressure to buy stuff soon

Back
Top Bottom