PRS Rimfire noob thread

not bad. when their site stopped glitching for me - those were already gone. it is a very good price for that glass.
not sure if for 22lr it would be worth it - it probably would be a better fit for a 600+yds gun. but a good glass nevertheless.

Last edited:
not bad. when their site stopped glitching for me - those were already gone. it is a very good price for that glass.
not sure if for 22lr it would be worth it - it probably would be a better fit for a 600+yds gun. but a good glass nevertheless.
Even though it was out of stock I still bought it to lock in the sale price, they shipped one out seven or eight days later. I know it's not really necessary for a 22 LR but that's what I'm going to test it on first. I can always put it on another rifle down the road

Even though it was out of stock I still bought it to lock in the sale price, they shipped one out seven or eight days later. I know it's not really necessary for a 22 LR but that's what I'm going to test it on first. I can always put it on another rifle down the road
necessary? no, but I've never heard someone regret getting better glass. The extent of how much it helps may vary based on personal vision. I'm partially colorblind and have enough vision issues working against me, so better glass definitely helps me make out targets against a dirt/rocky background, especially after they've been shot up and are speckled gray/white without solid colored edges.

Looking at getting into PRS rimfire. Trying to decide between either the Bergara BMR or Tikka T1X. Any advice or lessons learned in those rifle choices? Aslo looking at the Athlon 6-24X for the scope. Wanting to stay in the production class.

Looking at getting into PRS rimfire. Trying to decide between either the Bergara BMR or Tikka T1X. Any advice or lessons learned in those rifle choices? Aslo looking at the Athlon 6-24X for the scope. Wanting to stay in the production class.
Get ready someone's about to come around and tell you not to waste your time with production class.

I'm a big fan of Athlon Helos gen 2 glass. I have a 2-12x, it's well built, clear glass, and was able to grab at a steal. my only other experience was with a Nikon p22 scope. So I don't have much knowledge with scopes. My only bit of opinion really is get an FFP. The hash marks remain the same across all magnifications. No need for recalculations at magnification changes.

I would kindly suggest not bothering with production class for rimfire. Nobody shoots it and you will struggle trying to balance most factory stocks.

T1x is an extremely accurate rifle, but mags suck. The springs get weak fast and there isn't a lot of aftermarket support. Speaking from personal experience on this one.

I would stay away from the BMR as it was designed to be a "micro .22" and is a lightweight, proprietary design. It is not R700 footprint, so you are stuck with the hunting stock it comes with and cannot use aftermarket triggers. Accuracy reviews online seem to be mixed.

The best deal going is the Bergara B14R steel barreled action for 6ish. B14r steel barrel is accurate and it's a R700 footprint.

Athlon 6-24...it'll get the job done. Get one with a MRAD Christmas tree reticle, like the APRS6 reticle.

Another rifle to consider is the CZ457 variants. If you want to run production, f_€$ the stay away from production noise hahaha, there are several options that will keep you under the $1500 with quality glass. I'm a big fan of my CZ457 MTR Varmint

The CZ vs Tikka debate is a common comparison. I had both, the Tikka was sold. Between the two rifles I had the CZ was nicer all around.

457 is great as well. Keep in mind, the $1500 cap for production is based on MSRP, not MAP or actual sell price. It's severely limiting. If determined to stay in production, the best option would be the CZ 457 varmint mtr in the wood stock which has an MSRP just shy of 900. That would leave you enough wiggle room for a lower end Athlon or Vortex scope, or an Arken.

457 is great as well. Keep in mind, the $1500 cap for production is based on MSRP, not MAP or actual sell price. It's severely limiting. If determined to stay in production, the best option would be the CZ 457 varmint mtr in the wood stock which has an MSRP just shy of 900. That would leave you enough wiggle room for a lower end Athlon or Vortex scope, or an Arken.
The MSRP on the 457 MTR Varmint is currently $865. What's interesting to me is that MSRP changes and at one point in time organizations like PRS or NRL didn't take that into effect. I recently read that they would take the MSRP into account at the time of purchase, however, you have to provide proof of purchase if when you purchased it it was a lower MSRP and the new MSRP has taken you over the limit.

I personally wanted to go with the Swampfox WarHawk 4-20x50, but it's LITERALLY $4 over the $1500 budget for the production class at $639. [rofl]

The MSRP on the 457 MTR Varmint is currently $865. What's interesting to me is that MSRP changes and at one point in time organizations like PRS or NRL didn't take that into effect. I recently read that they would take the MSRP into account at the time of purchase, however, you have to provide proof of purchase if when you purchased it it was a lower MSRP and the new MSRP has taken you over the limit.

I personally wanted to go with the Swampfox WarHawk 4-20x50, but it's LITERALLY $4 over the $1500 budget for the production class at $639. [rofl]
Yep, except the cap was $1050 a few years ago back when that particular CZ was around 600. They can't keep track of every specific model price, especially with optics, so they adjust the cap as needed. It needs a big bump and should be separate rifle/optic budgets like in centerfire, which is 2500 rifle and 2500 optic. I think making rimfire $2k rifle and $2k optic would be reasonable, as it would basically permit any rimfire rifle that isn't a rimx, vudoo, curtis, etc. and the $2k optic budget would allow some nice Japanese glass options without opening the flood gates.

Yep, except the cap was $1050 a few years ago back when that particular CZ was around 600. They can't keep track of every specific model price, especially with optics, so they adjust the cap as needed. It needs a big bump and should be separate rifle/optic budgets like in centerfire, which is 2500 rifle and 2500 optic. I think making rimfire $2k rifle and $2k optic would be reasonable, as it would basically permit any rimfire rifle that isn't a rimx, vudoo, curtis, etc. and the $2k optic budget would allow some nice Japanese glass options without opening the flood gates.

This makes sense to me. I would think $1.5k and $1k make more sense to me. Optic) $2k on an optic, in a base class, seems like it kills the idea of affordable. Yes, I know everyone has a different definition of affordable, but if you look at the market value of most scopes, sub $1k appears to be a target for most of the optic vendors. Most product lines, from say Vortex, seem to fall under $1k in price. The majority of their scopes fall below $1k, the Razer, Golden Eagle, and some of the Viper hit above the $1k mark. While some of the Viper, strike eagle, DiamondBack, and Crossfire all fall under the $1k mark. I'm not saying that's the way all vendors line up, but you will have the majority of the probably line up very similarly. Rifle) Here I'm a little more torn. yea, perhaps $2k makes a lot of sense. That leaves out all the custom builds. I don't know enough about the .22 bolt market to throw a figure down.

With that being said, I agree 100%, the $1500 total does seem to be a little artificial to me. It would make a lot of sense to me to either bump the price point for the production class, or split it into three classes, ie production, trainer, and open. Production would handle most of the rifles that fall under the production class now, the trainer class would be for rifles like the Bergara B14r, the CZ 457 Trainer, etc, and of course, drop your load Open class.

and I agree they can't keep track of every specific model price. Thats why in the rules, they make sure its clear that its up to the competitor to supply proof.

1672689507560.png

Just finished watching this, looks pretty cool. I wish I had the time to travel to some of these matches. Night time shoot would be awesome.

View: https://youtu.be/esmQZcjRjYs

how cute, he uses a 'blowy thingy' to clean up his lens. so much for a spit and a thumb cleanup.
:)

i zeroed my cz457 mtr dropped into the MDP LSS gen2 chassis other day, it was nice. I still think i like the wood better, but chassis is definitely more versatile. still does same dime sized groups at 100yds.

Just finished watching this, looks pretty cool. I wish I had the time to travel to some of these matches. Night time shoot would be awesome.

View: https://youtu.be/esmQZcjRjYs

That's Matt Hui. Nice guy and good rimfire shooter. He lives in Canada and comes down for the matches in NY.

how cute, he uses a 'blowy thingy' to clean up his lens. so much for a spit and a thumb cleanup.
:)

MAYBE he doesn't want to risk scratching the lenses on his $3k scope. MAYBE he knows what he's doing and is trying to offer some advice...

Do any of you guys that shoot Vudoo actions have any experience with the Norma tac-22 ammo? I found a brick in the back of the safe this morning and was thinking about using it to break in my new toy. I haven't shot it yet. Or should I just wait till I get my hands on some Lapua or other match ammo?
PXL_20230115_020501371.jpg

Do any of you guys that shoot Vudoo actions have any experience with the Norma tac-22 ammo? I found a brick in the back of the safe this morning and was thinking about using it to break in my new toy. I haven't shot it yet. Or should I just wait till I get my hands on some Lapua or other match ammo?
View attachment 709434
I tried the Norma Tac 22 in a vintage 513T and my 10/22 'precision' build. For me it was OK but definitely no better than CCI Standard Velocity. It did not come close to RWS and various Eley target ammo.

For sure it's more than good enough to break in a new rifle & maybe it will shoot tight groups for you. You can compare the other stuff later once you have it.

I do not have any experience with the Norma brand.
"match" ammo is a lead bullet and the bullet and case have a lube applied. Paraffin, tallow, beeswax ... I forgot who uses what, but Eley (tenex, match, team, club, target) uses one type of lube on their line, and Lapua/ SK (center-x, x-act, midas, SK standard plus, SK rifle match, SK long range) use the other type of lube.
The lube builds up or "seasons" the barrel, and actually aids in consistency. If you switch between the types of lube the barrel will need X number of rounds to "re-season" to establish the most consistency that type of ammo can achieve. I have experienced this in my early ammo testing of my Vudoo. In my experience I needed 50-100 rounds to see the potential of an ammo lot. Specific ammo availability was a factor in my testing (it will probably be for you too)

I'd say go ahead and use what you have on hand to sight in / break in the new rifle. Get some chrono data and dope while shooting. Keep in mind that if your groups are not what you expected you just have to find what it likes

I opened a box and it feels like there is a wax coating on the bullets. I guess I'll give it a try. I thought I read at some point that the voodoo chamber was designed around the lapua casings and some of the lower grade ammo has a tendency to have feeding/extraction issues. Same with Eley ammo, I think voduu even sells an Eley specific follower. I know there's no short cuts and I'm gonna have to do my own ammo testing , just want avoiding wasting as much time and money as I can.

I opened a box and it feels like there is a wax coating on the bullets. I guess I'll give it a try. I thought I read at some point that the voodoo chamber was designed around the lapua casings and some of the lower grade ammo has a tendency to have feeding/extraction issues. Same with Eley ammo, I think voduu even sells an Eley specific follower. I know there's no short cuts and I'm gonna have to do my own ammo testing , just want avoiding wasting as much time and money as I can.
Mine doesn't love to feed CCI. I haven't tried shooting bulk .22 out of it

Mine doesn't love to feed CCI. I haven't tried shooting bulk .22 out of it
So I finally got my 360 out to the range the other day to zero the scope. All I had was the Norma tac-22 ammo so I ran about 70 rounds through it and it went pretty well, only 2 failure to eject, extraction was ok but the cases didn't fully eject. The accuracy was ok but not great, the top spots are 100 yds, the tighter groups on the side are 50 yds. All groups are 10 rounds. I'm dying to get my hands on some lapua center x but it looks like it's out of stock every where ☹️

PXL_20230310_192020937.jpg

Thanks, center x is out of stock. Maybe I'll try some SK.
so, from what i can tell from looking at your groups there - the green circle below is most likely an ammo/gun and rest of it is you.

as of SK - get long range match most, and can get standard and rifle match too.

next time - try to ditch the bipod and shoot it from a heavy bag, just for the fun of it, and compare results.

my cz457 likes norma, but not all barrels do. and it hates sk standard - i posted thread about it some time ago.

1679104172119.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom