PRS Rimfire noob thread

that hide thread has been my black Friday guide for a few years now. I know I can get the low down on some good deals plus the entertainment value it provides when it eventually turns into the "how MDT ruined thanksgiving again" thread is priceless.

MDT has some incredible customer service. Every year their site crashes and they f*** something up, but every year they also take a hit making it right for customers.

Not that any of that makes it any less hilarious.

I'm sure you meant to link to an F1 NX8 model. The one you linked is a 2nd focal plane.

Anyway
I am completely satisfied with the choice I made when I purchased my Leica.

I've had the opportunity to look through or shoot with all of the top of the line scope options. They each have their pros and cons. Guys I shoot with have an ATACR and Razor Gen3. It's my opinion that my Leica has (sometimes overlooked) features that make it better than those. User friendly things like the ease of zero adjustment, and zero stop adjustment, the feel of the turrets, zoom and parallax knobs, as well as how the turrets are marked.
that Leica is right up there with the rest of the 2500-3500 scopes for sure

MDT has some incredible customer service. Every year their site crashes and they f*** something up, but every year they also take a hit making it right for customers.

Not that any of that makes it any less hilarious.
what discount did mdt offer last year? xlr does this right now, and their element 4 chassis with add-on grip gets to $417 before those coupons:

USE CODE: 22BF50 for $50 OFF ORDERS $250 - $594
USE CODE: 22BF150 for $150 OFF ORDERS $595 - $749
USE CODE: 22BF200 for $200 OFF ORDERS $750 - $999
USE CODE: 22BF300 for $300 OFF ORDERS $1,000 +

the cheapest mdt is pretty much higher than that for any model.

what discount did mdt offer last year? xlr does this right now:

KRG, MDT and MPA all have blem sales plus other sales

The MDT and usually MPA sales are very good. But it’s havoc trying to actually order things. They sale is absolutely worth the effort and when the MDT site crashes like it always does. Usually a message to MDT will get you what was on your list for the same price

what discount did mdt offer last year? xlr does this right now, and their element 4 chassis with add-on grip gets to $417 before those coupons:

the cheapest mdt is pretty much higher than that for any model.
I put together a lss xl gen 2 with skeleton butt stock and folding adapter a year or 2 ago and everything was 40% off. Worth every penny. I could only find the blemish on the forend, the other parts I can't notice it to this day. I believe they warranty the blems the same as regular parts. There's a running joke about their web site constantly crashing or items mis advertised. Last year they advertised "acc chassis systems" but infact it was just the main forend. Grips and but stocks are extra, always have been, that's how MDT works and I honestly prefer it that way, I like options.

The MDT and usually MPA sales are very good. But it’s havoc trying to actually order things. They sale is absolutely worth the effort and when the MDT site crashes like it always does. Usually a message to MDT will get you what was on your list for the same price
I sat there for almost 2 hours waiting for the ready to check out icon to appear, I almost gave up but then bam! Order processed and I couldn't be happier.
IMG_20201017_195010.jpg

I put together a lss xl gen 2 with skeleton butt stock and folding adapter a year or 2 ago and everything was 40% off. Worth every penny. I could only find the blemish on the forend, the other parts I can't notice it to this day. I believe they warranty the blems the same as regular parts. There's a running joke about their web site constantly crashing or items mis advertised. Last year they advertised "acc chassis systems" but infact it was just the main forend. Grips and but stocks are extra, always have been, that's how MDT works and I honestly prefer it that way, I like options.

The sku for the bare chassis, priced just north of $400, was posted twice and one of the descriptions was for a full chassis setup with buttstock, grip, etc. People who ordered the duplicate, incorrect sku were told to email MDT so that they could coordinate with Shipping to have a full chassis shipped to them instead of the sku that was on their order, or MDT's shipping dept would have just sent the bare chassis automatically.

They sold a boatload of full ACC chassis for under $450 last year and since it was a screw up, a lot of them weren't blems. Customer service doesn't get better than that.

The sku for the bare chassis, priced just north of $400, was posted twice and one of the descriptions was for a full chassis setup with buttstock, grip, etc. People who ordered the duplicate, incorrect sku were told to email MDT so that they could coordinate with Shipping to have a full chassis shipped to them instead of the sku that was on their order, or MDT's shipping dept would have just sent the bare chassis automatically.

They sold a boatload of full ACC chassis for under $450 last year and since it was a screw up, a lot of them weren't blems. Customer service doesn't get better than that.
Holy sh*t, I didn't realize they honored a lot of those sales. I've dealt with them a few times and have had good experiences, the discount on mags alone is a good reason to spend some money this holiday. Hopefully they screw something up again this year and I can score a full system for a discount, otherwise I'll be happy with a xrs blem for a 22lr Bergara action. I almost scored an athlon Cronus btr yesterday for $1250 but they were all sold out of the aprs6 reticle 😭

mdt, mpa, xlr - they are all fine. whatever deal is better - wins.
i just needed something very simplistic now, only a basic core chassis, as i will repurpose fab defense raps stock on a carbine tube there. an xlr element 4 accommodates that very well.

i just needed something very simplistic now, only a basic core chassis, as i will repurpose fab defense raps stock on a carbine tube there. an xlr element 4 accommodates that very well.

I have 3 XLR chassis. 2 Element 3.0 and an Envy Pro. Both are great… I have started to favor my MPA but don’t plan to sell the XLR’s.

I have 3 XLR chassis. 2 Element 3.0 and an Envy Pro. Both are great… I have started to favor my MPA but don’t plan to sell the XLR’s.
my dasher is in mpa and bergara in xlr, i think, element 3.
mpa is still, i would say, it has an edge. it is made for prs, front rail and overall balance of mpa is better, i think. expensive, though. i got it after a bonus ,so, did not care for a deal.
this one i just want to be frugal with, it will be an ugly duckling. :)

i will put a new vertical grip i ordered here onto bergara, and will move old regular grip on this one. i am still not too clear what element 4 got different from element 3, will see. looking at pictures they seem to be pretty identical. may be i will swap them.

my dasher is in mpa and bergara in xlr, i think, element 3.
mpa is still, i would say, it has an edge. it is made for prs, front rail and overall balance of mpa is better, i think. expensive, though. i got it after a bonus ,so, did not care for a deal.
this one i just want to be frugal with, it will be an ugly duckling. :)

i will put a new vertical grip i ordered here onto bergara, and will move old regular grip on this one. i am still not too clear what element 4 got different from element 3, will see. looking at pictures they seem to be pretty identical. may be i will swap them.
I always see people talking about these chassis systems. Sometimes I look at them and I am shocked at the prices.

I have never made a "custom" rifle. What makes these chassis systems so good? Why take a CZ 457, or a Tikka, highly rated rifles, and spend hundreds or $1k+ dropping them in a chassis? What advantage do they provide?

Basically, convince me to spend my money on one this year...

BTW I don't do PRS but have always wanted to try. If I did I would probably take my Ruger Precision Rifle.

I always see people talking about these chassis systems. Sometimes I look at them and I am shocked at the prices.

I have never made a "custom" rifle. What makes these chassis systems so good? Why take a CZ 457, or a Tikka, highly rated rifles, and spend hundreds or $1k+ dropping them in a chassis? What advantage do they provide?

BTW I don't do PRS but have always wanted to try. If I did I would probably take my Ruger Precision Rifle.
first of all, not all chassis are that crazy expensive. one i just got - it was a $378. if you plan upon getting a barreled action, or making it all from the scratch - you will need to put that action into something. an aluminum or magnesium chassis are sturdy, reliable and overall better than old fashioned plastic or wood stock for precision rifles.
with that said - i absolutely love my cz 457 varmint mtr that IS set in the solid wood stock, and not going to swap that out, as there is no real need for that.

if you can get a factory rifle you want in the chassis you like - it will be a better deal, of course, like most lrp bergaras in the xlr chassis are around $1500 as is, a great deal considering the stand alone xlr chassis will cost close to $1k with no deal. but, there are always deals. :)

btw, the cz 457 in the chassis is around $1k as well.

Adjustability and modularity are the two main benefits to modern chassis systems. A chassis can be tailored to a shooter for weight, balance, LOP, buttstock height/cant, cheek height, etc. and have attachment points for thumb rests, side rails, weights, dope cards, levels, arca rails if not integrated, sling mounts, timer mounts, you name it.

Then you can completely change configuration to be ergonomically correct for someone else or strip it down for a different type of rifle build without ever permanently altering the rifle.

If you like a rear stock but want the modularity of a chassis forend, look up the Henderson Precision chassis. It's a McMillan U1 with custom chassis and mlok forend.

the baby`s new MDT. :)

-Look at it, I like it so much, do you like it, baby?
-(baby`s fussy voice) NO! I! DON`T!!!
:)

a blem lss-rf gen2, was on sale at $258, i could not resist. plus had 2 AR style stocks already, so, why not...
difficult to tell what was blem about it, looks pretty clean. may be i should have gotten an rem700 one too at that price, but, it has no arca rail, no other more modern stuff, so, heck with it.
for the cz 457 it will do. and size wise it fits 20" barrel nicely, 24"-26" would probably be a bit off.
cz_mdt.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for half of my MDT black Friday stuff to ship, I'm gonna email them tonight. I did however score the Cronus BTR I wanted, Cameraland NY for the win. It was out of stock but they got me one and shipped it out free priority about a week after I placed my order.

I'm still waiting for half of my MDT black Friday stuff to ship, I'm gonna email them tonight. I did however score the Cronus BTR I wanted, Cameraland NY for the win. It was out of stock but they got me one and shipped it out free priority about a week after I placed my order.
Doug is the best.

nice, the Cronus is a nice piece of glass. APRS6 mil?

Supposedly my MDT order is arriving today, just a grip and some mag guts. Also scooped an MPA BA Comp folder grenade that arrived lightening fast.

nice, the Cronus is a nice piece of glass. APRS6 mil?

Supposedly my MDT order is arriving today, just a grip and some mag guts. Also scooped an MPA BA Comp folder grenade that arrived lightening fast.
Ya, aprs6. The aprs1 was in stock but I didn't like how the .2 mil subtensions stop after the first mil or 2, after that it only gives you 0.5 mil subtensions. I'm pumped because I have the gen 1 ares btr and was curious What the difference was between that and the cronus gen2. I'm happy to report the Cronus is a league above just playing with it at the kitchen table, the turrets feel so nice. I can't wait to take it to the range

Ya, aprs6. The aprs1 was in stock but I didn't like how the .2 mil subtensions stop after the first mil or 2, after that it only gives you 0.5 mil subtensions. I'm pumped because I have the gen 1 ares btr and was curious What the difference was between that and the cronus gen2. I'm happy to report the Cronus is a league above just playing with it at the kitchen table, the turrets feel so nice. I can't wait to take it to the range
Cronus is made by Low in Japan. It's in an entirely different league than the Ares BTR.

Not sure if people saw liberty optics, but they had 50% of msrp off a lot of stuff like the vortex gen iii and Steiner stuff.
Was that a few weeks before black Friday? I know they had a huge vortex sale but by the time I found out it was over.

Cronus is made by Low in Japan. It's in an entirely different league than the Ares BTR.
The fit and finish is clearly above the ares, unfortunately it's dark every day when I get home so I haven't had a chance to check out the glass. As soon as my barreled action clears NICS I'll have something to mount it to. I get delayed every time ☹️

yea, same sale. it wasn't just vortex.
I would have jumped on a Steiner for the right price but by the time I found out it was too late. Nothing against vortex but for razor $ you're pretty close to German glass prices. The Cronus with a $350 instant rebate from an AD was a no brainier to me

I would have jumped on a Steiner for the right price but by the time I found out it was too late. Nothing against vortex but for razor $ you're pretty close to German glass prices. The Cronus with a $350 instant rebate from an AD was a no brainier to me
How much was the final amount for the Cronus after rebate?

Back
Top Bottom