PRS Rimfire noob thread

Nothing posted since August?, c'mon guys keep this thread going. I'm glad I found this, I think I'm going to put something together this winter for next season. I have a rem 700 in a MDT chassis and love it but for the .22 I think I want to just buy something to run out of the box to start off with. I'm thinking either Ruger RPR .22 or trying to find a cz457 in the manners stock (more suggestions are welcome). Also, do you guys prefer fixed or variable power scopes?
variable power FFP scope with uncapped elevation turret for dialing on the clock.

CZ 457 is in another league compared to the ruger. Get the CZ 100x out of 100.

alternatively, you could pick up a steel barreled bergara barreled action for 700 bucks and throw it in the R700 MDT chassis you already have.

variable power FFP scope with uncapped elevation turret for dialing on the clock.

CZ 457 is in another league compared to the ruger. Get the CZ 100x out of 100.

alternatively, you could pick up a steel barreled bergara barreled action for 700 bucks and throw it in the R700 MDT chassis you already have.
Wait, the 22lr barreled action will bolt into my R700 .308 lss xl gen2 chassis?

Wait, the 22lr barreled action will bolt into my R700 .308 lss xl gen2 chassis?
Yes, Bergara, Rimx or Vudoo will fit, as they are all R700 footprint. They take the same triggers as well, so if you splurge on a TT Diamond or Bix Tacsport Pro, you can swap it between rifles.

T1x, Ruger RPR, CZ and others have a different footprint and the stocks/chassis/triggers are not compatible with R700 footprint.

Yes, Bergara, Rimx or Vudoo will fit, as they are all R700 footprint. They take the same triggers as well, so if you splurge on a TT Diamond or Bix Tacsport Pro, you can swap it between rifles.

T1x, Ruger RPR, CZ and others have a different footprint and the stocks/chassis/triggers are not compatible with R700 footprint.
This changes everything, I feel like this is about to get more expensive than I wanted it to, oh well. Thanks for info guys.

This changes everything, I feel like this is about to get more expensive than I wanted it to, oh well. Thanks for info guys.
welcome to the club. the good news is it's a ton of fun and you surely won't regret it.

Get some decent glass as well. XTR3 has great glass, MRAD reticle/turrets, parallax goes down to 25yds, and they've been available for around $1k recently NIB. Best deal out there at the moment and you won't get into good Japanese/Euro ED glass for less than that, especially not that parallaxes down to 25yds.

If you need a less expensive option, check out the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x w/ APRS6 reticle. 34mm tube, tons of adjustment, decent turrets, decent glass, MRAD adjustments, etc. Made in China with their HD glass. I've been using one for 2 yrs without issue. Tracks well and no issues. Glass is better than any other sub $800 scopes I've used but still not the same as a quality Japanese/Euro optic.

Last edited:
If you need a less expensive option, check out the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x w/ APRS6 reticle.
for less expensive the absolute king now is the arken ep5, it has great turrets and a very clear glass. but, it is heavy - for this application it actually will be a plus.
also, sometimes it goes on sale for around of mid-400s.

I'm currently using the first gen athlon ares btr 3-15x FFP/MRAD on my 308. I've only shot it out to 600yds but I've been pretty happy with the quality of their HD glass for the money. I also have their 15-45x ares spotter.

I noticed you guys seem to like the 5- 25x , seems a bit overkill for a.22

Are you using them to spot your hits so you can make corrections?

Nothing posted since August?, c'mon guys keep this thread going. I'm glad I found this, I think I'm going to put something together this winter for next season. I have a rem 700 in a MDT chassis and love it but for the .22 I think I want to just buy something to run out of the box to start off with. I'm thinking either Ruger RPR .22 or trying to find a cz457 in the manners stock (more suggestions are welcome). Also, do you guys prefer fixed or variable power scopes?

A Bergara B14R in an MDT chassis would be a great way to go since it would be setup just like your R700. You can get the B14R as just a barreled action for about $700.

Most will say they use 10-15x in a match. The extra magnification is great for zeroing/ shooting groups.

With just about any scope on the market, the higher you are in it's magnification range, the less forgiving the eye relief and eye box becomes. Also consider how easily you can see the reticle subtensions at the scopes usable magnification level

Basically, if you compared a 5-25x and a 3-15x from the same product line, both set at say 12x, the 5-25 will be better in many ways

care to explain?
I found humor in the "for less expensive the absolute king now is Arken" comment. Arken isn't doing anything different than Vortex, Athlon, Holosun, or any of the other manufacturers that outsourced their manufacturing to China in order to provide useful features at a low price point. The product is decent but it certainly isn't "King" of anything. The CA and edge to edge clarity at high magnification are worse than Athlon's HD offerings IMO, and they haven't stood the test of time yet. In fact, just last year they were using pre-order money to fulfill backorders and had a lead time in excess of 6 months.

This might be a stupid question but how do the magazines work? Do they make an AICS pattern mag that holds 22lr?

This might be a stupid question but how do the magazines work? Do they make an AICS pattern mag that holds 22lr?
yep, nailed it. All Rem700 footprint rimfires use AICS pattern mags. Each company makes their own mag for their own action, but companies like L3i are starting to make universal 3D printed rimfire mags for all the 700 footprint rimfire actions. Supposedly they work well, though I haven't tried one yet.

Curtis/MPA is now also selling a rimfire bolt for their centerfire receiver as of about a month ago.

yep, nailed it. All Rem700 footprint rimfires use AICS pattern mags. Each company makes their own mag for their own action, but companies like L3i are starting to make universal 3D printed rimfire mags for all the 700 footprint rimfire actions. Supposedly they work well, though I haven't tried one yet.

Curtis/MPA is now also selling a rimfire bolt for their centerfire receiver as of about a month ago.
Ok cool, MDT didn't seem to have one on their website but I just checked Mile high shooting and it looks like vudoo makes one. The pieces are starting to come together. It's funny because I was thinking about taking the 700 action out of the MDT and trying something new anyways.

Ok cool, MDT didn't seem to have one on their website but I just checked Mile high shooting and it looks like vudoo makes one. The pieces are starting to come together. It's funny because I was thinking about taking the 700 action out of the MDT and trying something new anyways.
MDT doesn't currently make one. I would recommend buying whichever mags are made by your action manufacturer so that you get up and running with a reliable setup. After that, if you want to start messing with other mags to find alternative options, at least you are isolating variables and know your gun runs with the original mags.

Here is my 457 with an old 24x Weaver scope

F5D09669-8B70-4538-9F36-0A47115181BF.jpeg

I noticed you guys seem to like the 5- 25x , seems a bit overkill for a.22

Are you using them to spot your hits so you can make corrections?
I have a Burris and a Weaver which are both 24x. I use either for 50 or 100 yard targets. no need for a spotting scope at that range with 24x. Go to a store and check one out first. But…. If you think you are going squirrel hunting with a 24x, good luck! The field of view is just too small, but a decent variable power scope can help with that. i Have a cheaper .22 for goofing off, rodents, plinking,etc with a cheap 4x that works fine.

I have a Burris and a Weaver which are both 24x. I use either for 50 or 100 yard targets. no need for a spotting scope at that range with 24x. Go to a store and check one out first. But…. If you think you are going squirrel hunting with a 24x, good luck! The field of view is just too small, but a decent variable power scope can help with that. i Have a cheaper .22 for goofing off, rodents, plinking,etc with a cheap 4x that works fine.
Cool thanks, this will just be target rifle so I'll probably go with a 5-25x. I'd like to try and get involved in some local .22 shoots, I think my club was hosting some this year. I usually prefer lower magnification and wider FOV, when I take my .308 out 3-600 yds I usually never go past 5-8x with my 3-15 but I know .22 is going to be a different ball game.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I made up my mind and going with the Bergara action. If MDT has another blem sale this black Friday I'll try to grab a xrs chassis. I think I want to keep everything in the R700 footprint. I'll worry about glass after I get something to mount it to. That CZ in the manners PRS stock is pretty damn tempting though 🤔

I found humor in the "for less expensive the absolute king now is Arken" comment. Arken isn't doing anything different than Vortex, Athlon, Holosun, or any of the other manufacturers that outsourced their manufacturing to China in order to provide useful features at a low price point. The product is decent but it certainly isn't "King" of anything. The CA and edge to edge clarity at high magnification are worse than Athlon's HD offerings IMO, and they haven't stood the test of time yet. In fact, just last year they were using pre-order money to fulfill backorders and had a lead time in excess of 6 months.
so, i slapped my spare EP5 on the cz457 and zeroed it today - no CA, no edge clarity issues, the scope is as crisp as a whistle and a total joy to use. just tad heavy.
fun to see a bullet flying to 100yds target through a clear glass. to each their own.

I shoot bench rest and haven't been able to find another club other than mine (Woburn) that also shoot BR at 100 and 200 yards. That being said I see many people using lower priced scopes in the $500 range and even down to the $150 range. I had attempted indoor 50 foot comp, but I damaged my right shoulder and the pain is 12 on a scale of 10. I even bought a new coat just for this competition and haven't been able to do more than try it on once. Big owwey here.

So where was I? Oh yeah. There are but a few companies who make top of the line scopes, and all of those companies use Japanese and German glass, or are made in Japan or Germany. Some of these companies even use the same glass from the same factories.

I have a large number of scopes and many of those scopes are Vortex, however, all of my good scopes are Nightforce. My 100 and 200 yard rifles are Vudoo and Remington 40X, and both are outfitted with NightForce Competition 15-55 power scopes. At 200 yards the retical does not cover the bull, and I can see where I hit. At 100 yards it's just that much better. For other competition I generally use another NightForce scope I rely on. That scope is the NX8, 4-32 power. This scope will focus to less than 20 feet and even works well to 200 yards. And, like all NightForce scopes the glass is pristine, focus is quick, and resolution is ultra sharp. Another feature with higher priced glass is the crisp and fast side focus, combined with .125 MOA adjustments allowing for fine adjustments in all directions. Lower cost scopes are fine, but I suggest that if you can handle the price of a high end scope like a NightForce, March, etc. that you buy one. You'll never regret doing so. Better glass equals faster target aquasition, clearer targets, and higher scores.

And for most types of competition, my favorite all around scope.

Last edited:
I'm sure those NF models are wonderful for the use you mentioned, bench rest 100/200, but they are not good examples for PRS use. We need to accurately shoot using the reticle subtensions at various distances and therefore require first focal plane scopes.

Additionally, 1/8MOA is far to fine of an adjustment for PRS use, we will sometimes dial 10 or more MILs elevation between targets within a timed stage.
.1 MIL adjustment is the most common we use

MDT doesn't currently make one. I would recommend buying whichever mags are made by your action manufacturer so that you get up and running with a reliable setup. After that, if you want to start messing with other mags to find alternative options, at least you are isolating variables and know your gun runs with the original mags.
are vudoo expected to do any black friday sales, or they do not really discount their barreled actions? i think of kukri one in 18", it`s time. :)

are vudoo expected to do any black friday sales, or they do not really discount their barreled actions? i think of kukri one in 18", it`s time. :)
doubt it, but can't say for sure. I'm keeping an eye on the Black Friday thread on the hide. Any particular reason you want a 18" kukri?

doubt it, but can't say for sure. I'm keeping an eye on the Black Friday thread on the hide. Any particular reason you want a 18" kukri?
kukri - based mostly on what people say, about kukri vs mtu topic. i do not have a specific preference there, weight diff does not seem to be too drastic, if mtu would be cheaper then kukri - it would be a decision factor. from all i could see so far, there is no indication that either one is significantly better than other accuracy wise, and i kinda like kukri profile better.

as of length - 20" vs 18" - 18" is preferable as extra 2" do not add any accuracy and actually slow down the projectile on 22lr.
16" is tad short for my taste, and it will go into XLR chassis where 18" should be a nice fit. and with less weight on kukri it gives an option for build to be lighter, and if more weight is needed the xlr allows installation of weights into the chassis itself. more flexibility this way.

Last edited:
I'm sure those NF models are wonderful for the use you mentioned, bench rest 100/200, but they are not good examples for PRS use. We need to accurately shoot using the reticle subtensions at various distances and therefore require first focal plane scopes.

Additionally, 1/8MOA is far to fine of an adjustment for PRS use, we will sometimes dial 10 or more MILs elevation between targets within a timed stage.
.1 MIL adjustment is the most common we use

I agree 110% with your statement with the exception being the NX is a scope is a scope that meets or exceeds the needs you defined. The Competition is a long range scope designed just for BR. Nothing special, just incredible glass.

The NX8 is my everything but long range scope, and it would be perfect for PRS

Now, if you want the ultimate scope for your type of competition then take a look at the ATACR

I can't compete in anything but BR anymore. I'm a 70 yr old Vietnam Vet and the damage done to my body has caught up to me.

that hide thread has been my black Friday guide for a few years now. I know I can get the low down on some good deals plus the entertainment value it provides when it eventually turns into the "how MDT ruined thanksgiving again" thread is priceless.

The NX8 is my everything but long range scope, and it would be perfect for PRS
I'm sure you meant to link to an F1 NX8 model. The one you linked is a 2nd focal plane.

Anyway
I am completely satisfied with the choice I made when I purchased my Leica.

I've had the opportunity to look through or shoot with all of the top of the line scope options. They each have their pros and cons. Guys I shoot with have an ATACR and Razor Gen3. It's my opinion that my Leica has (sometimes overlooked) features that make it better than those. User friendly things like the ease of zero adjustment, and zero stop adjustment, the feel of the turrets, zoom and parallax knobs, as well as how the turrets are marked.

Back
Top Bottom