PRS Rimfire noob thread

SJan

NES Member
started new thread for my own journey continuing from this one Starter .22 for practical rimfire

I plan to attend the match on April 24 at the Rod and gun club of New Bedford. This will be my first match of this kind. I am well versed in practical pistol shooting and 3 gun shooting.
I already have a rifle that I will use, I will not be purchasing anything new for this match, other than a brick of ammo that I already received from Target Sports. The rifle is a Savage mk ii, and it has a Mueller scope, 4.5-14x. Today I went out to my range. I chronographed my ammo and zeroed the rifle at 25 yards. I also downloaded the Strelok app. (free version). After entering all the data into the app, I tried at 50 yards and then at 100, with what I think is good results. My 5 shot groups at 25 are not one hole, not exactly cloverleaf, but ragged cluster holes. At 50 with dialed 1/2" correction I was on target POA/POI and shooting 1/2" groups but with flyers up to an inch out. At 100 with dialed 8.5" correction I shot two 1" five shot groups that were about 1.5" to the right of POA, then I realized I forgot to dial the adjustable objective on the scope. D'oh, Then that one inch group was well centered. All shooting was from a bench, bipod and rear sand bag, shot somewhat quickly because I don't have patience.

@MC56
Is 1045 avg fps too close to supersonic to cause problems or nah ?
What is in the Strelok pro version that is not in the free?

Photo of rifle just because
IMG_20220320_144605176.jpg

1045 is good. you'll learn patience quickly 🤣

Download the pro version. The one time fee of $10 or so is small peanuts compared to the alternative, like a $700 kestrel. Strelok pro connects to Bluetooth and your phone GPS for fairly accurate, real-time location and weather data uploads. It also has more reticle options, and BC and velocity truing capability. There are some other added features as well that I haven't bothered messing with, like spin drift and coriolis effect. It also has a zero offset feature, which is helpful if you're swapping a scope between two rifles.

Oh yeah, how about I update this.

That match at NB I used wolf match target.
I enjoyed that first match, I learned a lot from the other shooters, I finished right in the middle of the pack at I think 9/19.

The following day I ordered a Vudoo barreled action, a timney trigger, a MDT chassis, a Leica scope, seekins rings, Atlas bipod, and a case of SK long range match.

With only 300 rounds on the new gun I won the May rimfire rampage match at Hardwick.

I then went in front of my clubs BOD asking for money to buy targets and start a Rimfire PRS program (hopkinton sportsman's). I ran the first match there on June 18 and finished 2nd place.

Today I again won the match at Hardwick, although today I did the MARS set of targets that ranged from 93-277 yards.

I use the strelok pro app. I downloaded and tried apps from Hornady, Lapua, Leica, 4-5 others and found the strelok to be the most user friendly and accurate.

Attachments

• PXL_20220505_222535083.jpg
    PXL_20220505_222535083.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20220618_165538419.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220618_165538419.PORTRAIT.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 114
  • PXL_20220606_212822189.jpg
    PXL_20220606_212822189.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20220618_165518238.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220618_165518238.PORTRAIT.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 118
Is that the same Savage rifle from the first pics?
Damn, I need to stay away from this game...

Ok, shows you how much I know about rifles. I thought those were all just "upgrades" to the original Savage.
But I think that further confirms that this is a game I need to stay away from. I will begin to dabble in Trap this winter, I think that will probably exhaust most of my available funds and keep me safely away from another new endeavor. Plus, this game looks like it requires patience, which I don't have when it comes to shooting.

But, that is definitely a pretty cool looking rifle.

@SJan Thanks for creating this thread. I've been considering the 22 PRS game for something different and a way to conserve centerfire ammo and not drive so far. I shoot quite a few of the CMP matches. I'm a member at Hardwick and showed up with my vintage iron just as they were wrapping up a NRL22 match. Helped them pick up the targets before I was able to shoot- maybe you were there?

I have a 10/22 that I built many years ago with Volquartsen and Kidd components. Just put it in an Atlas stock and mounted some Athlon glass. I think it has enough accuracy to do well at the 22 PRS stuff and scores would be totally up to me. Here are some groups:

50 yards, RWS ammo, the cheaper stuff. Orange dot is exactly .75" Group size is probably ~0.45"
1656940144489.png

100 yards. Top group is RWS cheap stuff, shot at bottom ~5:30 position of group is from something else, so group is in the .75 orange dot plus the two at 3:00
Bottom group is CCI SV. Top group size should be about 1" and bottom CCI SV group not much worse, which this rifle will do consistently at 100 if I do my part and the wind isn't bad.
1656940256546.png

Seems at least on par with your Savage Mk II? I think I'm all set for equipment, so it's all about learning the ropes then building the skill set. Of course getting off my ass and giving it a go would help.

Last edited:
Seems at least on par with your Savage Mk II? I think I'm all set for equipment, so it's all about learning the ropes then building the skill set. Of course getting off my ass and giving it a go would help.

That's definitely accurate enough. Get the strelok app, chrono your ammo and enter all the information into the app, then confirm your dope at various distances. There are practice there at Hardwick, not sure when, but this is the contact for info: [email protected]

That's definitely accurate enough. Get the strelok app, chrono your ammo and enter all the information into the app, then confirm your dope at various distances. There are practice there at Hardwick, not sure when, but this is the contact for info: [email protected]
are you planning upon running more matches at hopkinton? it would be fun to attend, but i am not a member. just want to try it out, if time will permit.

Oh looky, there's a thread for this stuff....

Rimfire PRS is a good time! I've only made it to one match so far, the one we ran at Hopkinton, but hoping to get to more in the near future. We learned a bunch during our first match and our next event will be better for it. We had a bunch of 10/22 guys and an AR platform as well so you don't have to build a super rifle like SJan to get in the game.

That said I did need another project so I put this together....

B14r.jpg

Oh looky, there's a thread for this stuff....

Rimfire PRS is a good time! I've only made it to one match so far, the one we ran at Hopkinton, but hoping to get to more in the near future. We learned a bunch during our first match and our next event will be better for it. We had a bunch of 10/22 guys and an AR platform as well so you don't have to build a super rifle like SJan to get in the game.

That said I did need another project so I put this together....

View attachment 633901
you are all crazy you are. :)

i am not doing anything to my cz 457 mtr, it will do just fine as is.
just not sure now if i will be able to make it on aug 13th, it looks like i have something scheduled already on the family task list for that day...

They're definitely more old Rebel Wilson than new Rebel Wilson. Balance is the name of the game and unfortunately the chassis I chose to go with (MPA Matrix) isn't great for rimfire, too much junk in the trunk. You can see the external weights up front but there's more weights inside the chassis as well. I haven't put mine on the scale since finishing the loadout but I'm guessing I'm around 20lbs and still a little ass heavy. It's a tack driver though

Lots of fun. Show up with an open mind and im sure everyone will be helpful. I was overwhelmed at my first match and couldnt believe how nice and helpful everyone was.

They're definitely more old Rebel Wilson than new Rebel Wilson. Balance is the name of the game and unfortunately the chassis I chose to go with (MPA Matrix) isn't great for rimfire, too much junk in the trunk. You can see the external weights up front but there's more weights inside the chassis as well. I haven't put mine on the scale since finishing the loadout but I'm guessing I'm around 20lbs and still a little ass heavy. It's a tack driver though
it's the barrel. I have no added weights but my barrel probably weighs 7lbs. Haven't weighed the rifle but guessing around 20lbs.

Attachments

• 20220402_162649.jpg
    20220402_162649.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
Nothing too fancy.

CZ457 MTR Varment with Lilja barrel, Vortex PST Gen II. Waiting on delivery at the moment.
You may want to review this thread for trigger tuning:

and i can confirm - my trigger is set to a 1# pull sharp, on all stock parts, no swapping of springs/pins or anything else. just by adjustment of the screws on the picture

Last edited:
You may want to review this thread for trigger tuning:

and i can confirm - my trigger is set to a 1# pull sharp, on all stock parts, no swapping of springs/pins or anything else. just by adjustment of the screws on the picture
Thanks! I'll put my pull gauge on it when I pick it up from the FFL this week. The dude I bought it from put YoDave parts in so I'm hoping that it's pretty slick already.

I have bad luck messing with triggers.

Thanks! I'll put my pull gauge on it when I pick it up from the FFL this week. The dude I bought it from put YoDave parts in so I'm hoping that it's pretty slick already.

I have bad luck messing with triggers.
if it's already got the yodave spring then it's likely already a 1#ish trigger.

I have been shooting SK long range match in my rifle, I had ordered a case before I even assembled it. I have since sourced 2 bricks of a different lot, and a case of a third lot. Now I can finally do some testing of different lots of the same ammo.

I also chronographed while shooting groups. This is all using a Labradar.
Lot 1 - first 10 shot string avg 1114fps/ second string 1110fos.
Lot 2 - 1007fps/ 1110fps
Lot 3 - 1110fps/ 1110fps

I was happy to see the speeds are all pretty much identical, no need to adjust my ballistic app when using ammo from a different lot.

If the test shows anything, it's that Lot 3 is a bit more consistent than 1/2.

The groups were shot at 50y
Here is the best of the session.PXL_20220827_182818585.jpgIMG_20220828_125353.jpg

Nothing posted since August?, c'mon guys keep this thread going. I'm glad I found this, I think I'm going to put something together this winter for next season. I have a rem 700 in a MDT chassis and love it but for the .22 I think I want to just buy something to run out of the box to start off with. I'm thinking either Ruger RPR .22 or trying to find a cz457 in the manners stock (more suggestions are welcome). Also, do you guys prefer fixed or variable power scopes?

Since last update of this thread there has been some discussion in the various local match threads.

I painted my chassis, just a rattlecan job so it isn't another all black rifle on the rack PXL_20220825_222026618.jpgPXL_20220825_221857014~2.jpgPXL_20220902_152834820.jpg

We continued to host matches at my club in August, September and October. I participated in matches this season at New Bedford, Reading, Granby, and Marlborough CT, as well as the finale in Catskill NY. I finished the season standing at 13th place in the New England region.

A CZ 457 is a better candidate than a Ruger. You will want a variable power scope, somewhere in the 5-25x range with a FFP Christmas tree MRAD reticle. If you have a price point in mind, we can make a suggestion

Back
Top Bottom