Providence program destroys children’s toy guns

For seven years, Providence municipal and law enforcement officials have organized the event around Christmastime as a way to raise awareness of the dangers of playing with guns, real or fake.

Boston Globe article here.

Jesus wept.

Seriously, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. We are headed to moonbat utopia, folks. Enjoy the ride!

Oh, also from the article:

Hall said she had no regrets. The 26-year-old mother of six said she has been trying to wean her only son off toy guns for years. In kindergarten, he brought a pop gun to school and shot at a classmate when the child refused to return his toy truck.

A mother of six kids and she's 26 years old? Good grief.

She should be spending less time worrying about toy guns and more time learning about birth control.

Boston Globe article here.

Jesus wept.

Seriously, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. We are headed to moonbat utopia, folks. Enjoy the ride!

Oh, also from the article:

A mother of six kids and she's 26 years old? Good grief.

She should be spending less time worrying about toy guns and more time learning about birth control.

Wean him off guns? How about parent your kids. If you don't want them to have something, take it.

She has a clown car for a vagina.

[sarcasm] Looks, its simple, if we remove all things that could potentially be used as weapons from our kids we can simply ignore the need to teach them things like right from wrong, conflict resolution, self reliance, respect for others, etc. Its so much easier. duh [/sarcasm]

Yeah, this makes about as much sense as a sneaker full of shit.

My son played with guns his whole life. If there was not a "real" toy gun around he'd make a gun out of a paper towel roller, stick or play dough. He'd pretend shoot anything that moved. He was a real killa.

I can't tell you the toll it has taken on his life. He graduates high school this year and is off to college next year. He's received multiple scholarship offers already. He's played for the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra for two years. He plays cello at parties, weddings and other festive events. He has schools recruiting him for his music abilities. And he's a damn nice kid... IMHO. Oh... and he has more than a passing interest in some form of law enforcement in his future... or perhaps aviation.

Damn... I wish I had known the extreme cost of him playing with toy guns. Maybe he could have turned his life around?

Do you think there is still time for him? Oh... damn... he has an FID card now and "plays" with real rifles and handguns at the range. The boy can shoot! Surely the rest of his life is doomed by my poor parenting skills...

Jesus... WTF is wrong with people?

Rich

My son played with guns his whole life. If there was not a "real" toy gun around he'd make a gun out of a paper towel roller, stick or play dough. He'd pretend shoot anything that moved. He was a real killa.

I can't tell you the toll it has taken on his life. He graduates high school this year and is off to college next year. He's received multiple scholarship offers already. He's played for the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra for two years. He plays cello at parties, weddings and other festive events. He has schools recruiting him for his music abilities. And he's a damn nice kid... IMHO. Oh... and he has more than a passing interest in some form of law enforcement in his future... or perhaps aviation.

Damn... I wish I had known the extreme cost of him playing with toy guns. Maybe he could have turned his life around?

Do you think there is still time for him? Oh... damn... he has an FID card now and "plays" with real rifles and handguns at the range. The boy can shoot! Surely the rest of his life is doomed by my poor parenting skills...

Rich

Sorry, to hear this, Rich. My thoughts are with you and hoping your son can turn his life around and make more poor life choices. Clearly, you spent too much time being a parent.

page0_blog_entry204_1.jpg

I can't tell you the toll it has taken on his life. He graduates high school this year and is off to college next year.
Yeah, I corrupted a kid by giving him one of my old Caspians (got to remind the father to transfer to him it on Birthday 21). I figured since the first part of my plan (convincing his father to give him a middle name of "Cooper") worked out, I should stay on the roll.

She has a clown car for a vagina.

It is truly a great day when one is exposed to a new insult. Thank you for your knowledge.......I promise to use it only for good.
Clown-car vagina!!! Priceless.

My son played with guns his whole life.........Do you think there is still time for him? Oh... damn... he has an FID card now and "plays" with real rifles and handguns at the range. The boy can shoot! Surely the rest of his life is doomed by my poor parenting skills...

Rich

Rich, I am concerned. I have two boys of my own, and I would hate for them to end up like your son.......college-bound, musically talented.....etc. I only hope that I can learn from your mistakes. No toy guns for my boys.......they'll just have to wait until they're ready for the real thing! [rolleyes]

I have nothing against kids playing with toy guns. When I was a kid I had a cap gun that looked like a nickel plated revolver (as best I can recall). I don't even think you buy caps anymore <sigh> .

HOWEVER -

Back in those days toy guns were pretty easily recognized as such. Today the airsoft guns (and even guns for younger kids) are so realistic it's scary. Can you imagine shooting a kid because you could have sworn he was threating you with a real gun? I don't mean 15-20 year old thugs who know what they're doing and hold up stores with airsoft guns. I mean 5-10 year olds who just think they're playing around and don't realize the risk. I don't envy cops who have to deal with this on a daily basis.

I have nothing against kids playing with toy guns. When I was a kid I had a cap gun that looked like a nickel plated revolver (as best I can recall). I don't even think you buy caps anymore <sigh> .

HOWEVER -

Back in those days toy guns were pretty easily recognized as such. Today the airsoft guns (and even guns for younger kids) are so realistic it's scary. Can you imagine shooting a kid because you could have sworn he was threating you with a real gun? I don't mean 15-20 year old thugs who know what they're doing and hold up stores with airsoft guns. I mean 5-10 year olds who just think they're playing around and don't realize the risk. I don't envy cops who have to deal with this on a daily basis.

Again, when children are ready, teach them how to handle real guns responsibly and safely. I never saw the point of toy guns. They're pointless, like fake plants. But yes: having a program to take toy guns "off the streets" . . . moronic.

wiffle bat = Thompson/grease/smg
tennis ball = grenade

"Hollywood rules" dead to rights - no cartoon saves or comedic relief.

Tennis ball comes bouncing into garage - most jump out the door - 3 second rule.
I bounce the t-ball back to thrower, then throw a nail to simulate pin
There was no laughter - I died

I wish I worked on lego projectiles more

Did your cap guns ever work for very long? The springs always rusted out on mine and I had to manually pull the cap roll.

I used to buy packs of caps whenever I could. Eventually I discovered that if you stuck a bunch of them together it made a bigger boom!

The joys of childhood. Do kids have cap guns now?

Rich

I know what you mean. My son used to turn his peanut butter sandwich into a gun.....sometimes it was a banana.

Now he is in Medical school......where did I go wrong!

HOWEVER -

Yes, you can still get caps and cap guns.

What cop would mistake a kid playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians with each other for a real criminal? Heck, we used to play "war" with camo, and spend the day out climbing trees, doing lookouts, etc.

Really now.

Here's the big cap gun thread:

Cap Guns

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom