• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proud Daddy Today!

My 13 yo daughter has been joining me at every shooting match I have attened for the past year. She has shown the interest in participating in these events. Some of you have seen and met her at them. I have purchased TZ75 9mm for her to use when the time comes.
Up until yesterday, her training just consisted of learning safe gun handling, muzzle awareness and tirgger finger awareness and some dry firing in our basement. For about the past month and a half, I've had her actually moving from one shooting box to another while paying attention to the 180 degree rule and the trigger finger out of the trigger gaurd while moving rule.

Yesterday, we went to the range and started her live fire practice. We started out with the Ruger single six .22 and an IPSC target set at about 7-8 yards. After reminding her of all the safety rules I showed her how to operate the single action and shot 6 rounds for her to watch. I reloaded it and handed it to her. I asked her to simply shoot all A's (A's being the center scoring zone on an IPSC target). Six rounds later, six holes in the A zone!

She shot the single six for about 75 rounds or so. 90% of them were A's. I think she has the sight picture thing down. She asked if she could shoot "her" TZ and of course I didnt say no. She knows how to run this pistol due to the amount of dry fire time she has with it. I loaded only one round in the mag and locked the slide back. I handed it to her and told her to hold on a bit firmer than with the .22 and that it will be a bit louder and the recoil a bit stronger. She porceeded to drop the slide, dropped the safety down and squeezed off the round. Dang, another A zone hit! I took it from her and she turned and looked at me with the biggest grin and asked to shoot the TZ more. She shot it about 100 rounds and was doing very well. I didnt think the afternoon was going to be any better but she had a surprise in store for me. She ended up shooting everything I had brought to the range. My 1911 shooting 230 gr hardball, She didnt like that but she did shoot it. My Custom built Para .40, That was better than the .45 but she liked the 9mm best of all.

That was until I took the AR 15 out of the case. I had brought along a one gallon Tide jug and had that about 30 yards down range. I shot a mag through it and she asked if she could try. I loaded one round and showed her how to operate the boltand the safety. She sat at the bench and was ready. I told her that whenever she was ready she could...BANG! The kid was al set. She hit the Tide jug and sent it a little further down range! I thought the smile on her face wne she shot the 9mm was big, but that was nothing when she looked at me after shooting the AR! She was hooked. She continued to shoot the AR and knock that jug all over the range. She couldnt get enough of it! I could not believe how well she was shooting for her first time using live ammo! I was welling up with pride!

She couldnt wait to get home and call her Grandfather to let him know how she did, she was bursting at the seems while she talked to him on the phone. We have plans to head back to the range next weekend and work on the 9mm some more. I really can wait!

Thanks for having a place to be able to tell this story!

Excellent!

Now - have you purchased her life memberships in NRA, GOAL and USPSA yet?

Remember - they're For The Children..............

That's fantastic! Are ya worried she's gonna show you up? [mg]

I can only hope that when I am able to brag about my kids, too. I am very happy for you, Proud Father. [smile]

Great !
Reminds me of my 15yo daughter's grin after she shot a 30 rounder from a friends scoped AR.
She got up from the bench, raising a fist and said "Dad, THAT rocks !".
I told her "let Mum know", gotta have an argument for buying an AR....
She'll get more range time on Saturday.
I'll introduce her to my .30M1 Carbine for starters; no sense in letting
the 8mm Mausers knock all the fun out of her.
We'll take it slowly, next step is likely going to be the Swede.

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

She does not have any memberships yet. She will in time.

She wont be shooting L10 anytime soon. When I think she's ready, she'll shoot Limited minor and that wont be for a while. She still struggels to rack the slide and the TZ needs to go to the smith to be changed to single action only and have a different trigger installed.

Christmas and birthdays will be great. She needs all the leather and stuff so we have quite a bit of things to choose from for her.

I'm not worried at all if and when she shows me up. She has a lot of work to do to get there but I'll be proud when it happens, because that'll mean she could be well on the way to a Jr. or Ladies title in the future. That would be awesome!

At the Matches, she has already started telling me things I've done wrong...LOL, "hey dad, why did you start with your feet like that, you had to step back to make your first step down range, If you started with your other foot forward you could have just stepped out and not wasted the time..."

Congrats to you and to "H" Having met her, I can picture that grin. She is a fine young lady and will be a great addition to the sport.

If you want some Frangible for some steel practice, let me know, I load it in 9MM

Best to you both, see you soon.

Regards

Fun..........Isn't it?

Hamar,
My little girl, who's now 22, has been shooting since she was nine. I can't begin to tell you how much I've enjoyed having her with me all the times we've shot together. It's something that keeps us together, even as she's got her own life and ambitions to persue.
Mind you......it will only take about 20 minutes for her to reach the age of eighteen........have fun with her while you can!!!
I'm happy for ya!
CJC

dwarven1 said:
Jen, you wouldn't be the first 30 year old I've "adopted"! [smile]

Ross if you adopt me the first thing we have to do is figure out my allowance (to be paid in full each week in ammunition). That is right after you grant me full access to any and all gun safes... Hey kids are expensive [devil]

SiameseRat said:
Ross if you adopt me the first thing we have to do is figure out my allowance (to be paid in full each week in ammunition). That is right after you grant me full access to any and all gun safes... Hey kids are expensive [devil]

No problem, Jen... let's go over your CHORE list while we're at it. Let's see, you'll have to clean the Ruger, the P12, the 66 and the Mk 1. Oh, yes, the Remington .44 c&P needs to be cleaned each day after shooting... and we'll have to discuss how many rounds of ammo you'll reload per week, too.

[devil] [devil] [rules]

dwarven1 said:
No problem, Jen... let's go over your CHORE list while we're at it. Let's see, you'll have to clean the Ruger, the P12, the 66 and the Mk 1. Oh, yes, the Remington .44 c&P needs to be cleaned each day after shooting... and we'll have to discuss how many rounds of ammo you'll reload per week, too.

[devil] [devil] [rules]

You know if given the choice between working for a living or letting you support me (hey look- a dependant to claim on taxes!) and cleaning guns, reloading and shooting all day, no contest.
I think I'm going to change my SN to dwarven2. Or maybe dwarvenjr? [smile]

MrsWildweasel said:
So will you adopt me Nickle?[smile] I work the shows just pay me in guns!

If your tastes in guns are like mine, hell no, I couldn't afford it. Ammo, yes, but guns, damn, that'd hurt. I can see it now, a couple of Barrett .50's, a few M1A's..........

Back
Top Bottom