• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proud Daddy Here!

As you may have read in the "Good Morning" post, my daughter who lives in Florida with my EX flew up yesterday for her summer visit.

As I was tucking her into bed, and giving her a kiss goodnight, I was telling her how happy I was that she was here. She interrupted me and asked me. "Daddy, when is the next time you are going to that, um, range thingy"? I told her that I wasn't sure, but if she was asking because she wanted to go with me, I would make it much sooner. She said that she thought it would be "Pretty sweet to go to the range with you"

Last year, I had all I could do to get her to even hold a gun so I could do the responsible thing (as all gun owners should) and teach her safe gun handling. I asked her then if she would like to go to the range, but she refused and told me that she thought it would upset her mother. I told her that when she is in Florida, she has to follow her mothers rules, but when she is up here with me, my rules are the only ones she has to follow. I didn't push her though, and we didn't go.

But this year!! WOOOOHOOO!

Talk about a proud papa!

With her age and size I think the only gun I have that would be suitable for her to shoot is my Marlin 60. I think the M1 Carbine would be a bit much for her, so for now, I'll just stick with the Marlin.

So, at my range there is no plinking allowed. Only paper targets. They do have a petition going around now about adding a plinking section the the unused half of the pistol range, but for now it's just paper. So my question to you, is how do I make it a little more fun for her to just shoot at paper? So far I have thought that I could stick on some of the "Shoot-n-See" targets to the paper, but any other ideas would be welcome.

I strongly urge you to use a scoped rifle and those high visibility targets that make a fluorescent splatter. That way your daughter can see immediately where the bullets hit.

My daughter thought it was really boring shooting at targets where she couldn't easily see what was happening.

How do the rest of you feel about the scope? I thought it better to teach open sights first, then scope.

If scope, I gotta find a scope mount, rings and a cheep scope that will fit the mount on my Marlin by Saturday afternoon...

Great Adam,

See if you can hook up with someone in your area that belongs to a club that allows plinking. I recall taking my late MIL to the range, gave her a .22 and let her hit plastic milk bottles full of water at 50 yds (rules about target placement, not a recommended distance for first time shooters). She was thrilled when the bottle cap went flying in the air, followed by a plume of water. She was well in her 60s and it was the first and only time she ever touched a gun.

For non-shooters, instant gratification of breaking a balloon, watching a water spout, etc. beats the hell out of punching holes in paper.

Adam_MA said:
How do the rest of you feel about the scope? I thought it better to teach open sights first, then scope.

If scope, I gotta find a scope mount, rings and a cheep scope that will fit the mount on my Marlin by Saturday afternoon...

Adam,

Doesn't your 60 have the standard .22LR attachment rails? If so, I've got a couple of scopes you're more than welcome to borrow, or you could pick up a cheap one at Wally World.

Adam_MA said:
Yes it does Jay.

I think I will go to Walmart and check it out.

Thanks

Otherwise, I bought a Tasco sight for $10 from MidwayUSA. If you've got an order to put in with them, might be worth an extra $5 or so to get it sent Second Day Air...

the shoot-n-see is a great idea.

You could also make it more interesting by creating a game.

Make a tic-tac-toe target and alternate shots with your daughter, or make circles of different sizes, the smallest circles are worth $0.25, then make bigger circles up to the biggest being a penny, plus a perfect bullseye for a dollar or something along that lines.

Give her something more interesting than rings. [wink]

eta: and congratulations! Next up you'll have to get her one of those purple ARs!

Adam, normally I would recommend teaching open sights first. However, before you teach, you have to "set the hook" so to say. Using a scope makes it easier in this case. Use the scope, IMNSHO.

Yeah thats a proud moment indeed. I've taught my daughter who is 10 all the safe handling I can, but she refuses to go shooting. Closest I came was in the back yard and some soda cans with my Benjamin Sheridan .177 pellet target pistol and an airsoft with a carboard box trap in the house.
I'd definitely go with something light like a 10/22 that you'l be able to enjoy shooting to, or even an air rifle for starts. The pop of an air rifle, plus the easy to handle weight is a perfect starter for youngsters, especially daughters.
Make sure ya get some pics, they'll be great memories for when she gets older.

Len is right, a few balloons would be great for targets. You could even tape them to the paper target. I can't see any range frowning on a father teaching his daughter to shoot and using a balloon on a target board. They'd have to be in-human.

Last edited:
Adam,

Not sure where you live, but if it's near Gardner, drop a pm. My range allows plinking and I've got some plates you can use for .22.

Balloons can be fun too.

Matt

Adam how old is your daughter?

I took my neice shooting last year she was about 12

she shot my colt match target, with very little recoil. She loved it!!

Well the shoot -N- see target are a must!!

I hope you have fun.

Here's a photo of my daughter holding the Browning BL22 I got for her. She will be turning 9 this Fall.

IMG_4778.jpg

Since I joined the Westwood Gun Club, we have a lot of fun shooting at all sorts of targets; We rbing some metal resettable ones, some orange plastic spinning targets, and some nerf balls, amongst other things.

Adam, does your range allow resettable metal targets like this? If they do, you're welcome to borrow mine. PM me or email me and let me know.

BTW, does "proud Uncle" fit in this list? My nephew called me the other day to ask if he could come and visit while he's up here this weekend. I'm psyched. [grin]

a fathers bond never fails no matter how many miles might be on the ground from a son or daughter, I know my kids and wife are the "big brick" in my heart, I enjoy my daughters going to the range and I think this summer I will let my son fire a .22 for the first time towards the end of summer at the range.

jwilson said:
Going to bring him shooting again?
Maybe - schedule is pretty full this weekend already with paintball on Saturday and a Munchkin game scheduled for Sunday. Maybe Sunday AM - depends on if his gf wants to go shooting. (he said gleefully, rubbing his hands at the thought of converting yet another young innocent to the joys of smokeless addiction)

Back
Top Bottom