1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proud Dad Day

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting General' started by Roland Deschain, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain NES Member

I took my son to his first IDPA match today. He shot clean, safe, and ended up 10th overall. ☺️

MoBeach IDPA Match December 1 2018

He ran my new G45 right out of the box... Such a talented kid.

2. Roland Deschain

3. grizquad

grizquad NES Member

Congratulations! Takes a good Dad to raise a good son!

fencer and Roland Deschain like this.
  4. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

That’s great!
    nicely done! Especially for his first IDPA match. Definitely looks like he’s not new to shooting.

I wish my dad was into pistol shooting and got me into it when I was a kid. I’m only 30 but it makes me look forward to when I have a kid, I can start them young and go to matches together.

Roland Deschain likes this.
  5. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Congrats and nice shooting!

6. fencer

fencer NES Member

Outstanding! Simply outstanding. It won't be long before he is whooping your butt! Ask me how I know..

Well done Stu! Very well done.

andrew1220 and Roland Deschain like this.
  7. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Really great. Like father, like son. He'll surpass you in shooting skills sooner or later. Ask me how I know. Jack.

andrew1220 and Roland Deschain like this.
  8. Roland Deschain

He almost beat me on 2 stages.... It's like when your boy can beat you 1:1 on the basketball court.... But way cooler.

9. slipknot

slipknot NES Member

Congratulations!
    He is very good
    A lot better than I am at IDPA
    I was there yesterday also but I was shooting a nail gun hanging shingles ;)
    on the addition to the shed.
    You should be proud of him, very impressive for sure.

45collector and Roland Deschain like this.
  10. fencer

fencer NES Member

LOL - He could have beaten me at basketball when he was 12. [laugh]

I bought a dueling tree a few years ago. It really changed our range trips. Nothing like a little competition to bring out the best in us. I always think... " I wouldn't want him shooting at me"

11. Roland Deschain

I definitely don't want Aaron shooting at me... More than i can say for some of my co-workers

fencer likes this.
  12. fencer

fencer NES Member

Wait till he starts kicking your ass at the gym. He sent me a text last night. " New max on bench press 275lbs".
    I haven't tried to find my max on the bench in a long time but know I better bring new underwear if I go for anything close to 250.

The two thoughts I had were " Damn, at 17 he is officially stronger than me" and " I will never lift another couch or move furniture again"

When I was a high school senior they put a huge emphasis on strength training and we lived in the gym. I was one of three kids in the 300 club, but the other two kids were shorter and had shorter arms, so I used to tell them it was easier for them. [laugh]

kerryman71 and Roland Deschain like this.
  13. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

Awesome day for both of you. Congratulations.

14. Bistro

Bistro NES Member

Congrats

I can’t wait until my kid gets old enough to take him out

15. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Roland Deschain and andrew1220 like this.
  16. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

Great shooting. Good job dad.

17. kerryman71

kerryman71 NES Member

A couple years ago my son and I were out doing some football stuff. Any time we go out, I have him finish with a 40 yard dash. I told him to line up, and I got a long sigh. It was hot and we had been working pretty hard. I told him I'd line up with him, that we'd do the full 100 yards and that "I'm going to smoke your ass!!" I was pretty confident in that statement. I run about 20 miles a week, lots of speed work etc. Well, I'm not sure at what point it was, but I thought to myself, while running "Am I really running as hard as I can?!" I was, and suffice to say I didn't smoke his ass!! He was 11 years old at the time!

Recently we were messing around about how he's almost as tall as me, which isn't much in height for me, but for a 13 year old is pretty good. I replied "Just remember, I can still kick your ass!" We started rough housing, and I realized that might not be true either!!

Roland Deschain and fencer like this.
  18. fencer

fencer NES Member

It's those friggin Flintstone vitamins and all the steroids in the meat!
    A few years ago when my son was feeling froggy he wanted to trade punches. You know, shot to the flexed arm or shoulder, tough guy kid stuff.Well, I can really swat. Dad was a boxer and taught us right, from the day we were old enough to walk, and we always had a heavy bag and a speed bag. And I am a big guy.
    Well there is no friggin way I was gonna really hit the kid, but I was curious to see how hard he could hit. I am thinking pfffft, he is a 15 year old kid. I weigh 250lbs, have a bunch of experience, been doing shit like splitting wood, swinging a hammer for 40 years. I am still pretty rugged.
    Holy cow. He hit me.. and it felt like someone nailed me with a 16lb sledge. In my head, I am thinking WTF! When did that happen?
    But, he grew up with the heavy bag too. And knows how to really throw a punch, good foot work, get your weight behind it, punch through the target blah blah blah, been showing him for years. There was a brief moment, when he squared up. and planted his feet just right, when I thought. "this might be a mistake...." lol.
    So I told him it was a pretty good shot, and spent the next day barely able to lift my arm. Friggin kids...lol

Roland Deschain and kerryman71 like this.
  19. kerryman71

kerryman71 NES Member

Haha, isn't it true. I chalked it up to the fact that he had cleats on and I had running shoes. I convinced myself that was the case. You know the whole "If you tell the lie enough, you believe it yourself" routine. Well, eventually I bought cleats for myself. I'm always working with him, running football routes as his receiver, etc and definitely needed them. Got the challenge for a race. He smoked me even more with my cleats on, haha!!

Oh, I almost forgot, he broke his nose at six years old, so this was all with a deviated septum. One side blocked 100%!! He just had surgery in September to repair it, so going forward, I'm toast!!

And to the OP, sorry for derailing your post. That's great stuff with your son.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Roland Deschain and fencer like this.
  20. Roland Deschain

No apologies. All these stories made me smile.

kerryman71 likes this.
  21. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Cool! I’ll get back to MoBeach IDPA once deer season is over.
    Looks like he did a great job!
    If you already shoot @ MoBeach often, I’m sure I know you. See ya in January hopefully.