• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prototype P365 Light

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Testing a configuration for a DIY light for my P365. I don't like the function or look of the Sig Foxtrot365 light. I hate the concept of the on/off button on the grip. I much rather have something like the APLC design, and while the P365 has rails, they are proprietary. There are aftermarket rail adapters out there, but between the added bulk and the lack of space, this may be a lateral move.

So with that being said, I decided to 3D design my own light and 3D print a prototype housing. This is the first 3D printed mock up. The quality is very low just so I could print it fast. I needed to get an idea of where I'm putting the LED electronics. Ultimately, it will run off 3 button batteries and have about the same lifespan as most compact lights at 100 lumens. It will be activated by the capacitive bar you see on the right side, so just s feather touch with your finger to turn on/off. Tradeoff is that it won't be glove compatible. I already have the electronics operational outside the unit, but it will be interesting trying to condense the circuits enough to get it to fit inside the housing. If anything, I need to make the housing smaller by the trigger to give more finger space, but that will be a challenge given the tiny space already. Probably a week or two off from final run.

What do you guys think? Worth the effort to just wait for more after market lights?

20181112_155032.jpg 20181112_155042.jpg 20181112_155106.jpg 20181112_155123.jpg

Lots of light leak and an indirect LED, so this isn't showing the full power of the light. Just proof of concept.
20181112_161844.jpg

I love how in today's day and age, you can come up with an idea and 3D print something like this and actually use it. Where 10 years ago this would have been crazy talk and prototyping from a block of carved wood. Good work. Love it. And I don't own a Sig.. So carry on and do your thing.

I love how in today's day and age, you can come up with an idea and 3D print something like this and actually use it. Where 10 years ago this would have been crazy talk and prototyping from a block of carved wood. Good work. Love it. And I don't own a Sig.. So carry on and do your thing.

Thanks! Rapid home R&D is a full blown thing these days. I grew up with a Commodore 64, so this still feels so futuristic. If I can come up with a suitable housing design, I'm probably going to mold it with a similar material to a hockey puck, but a little harder. 3D printing is great for designing, but too easy to delaminate at layer seams for practical daily use. The hardest part will be the circuit, 'cause I suck as soldering.

Thanks! Rapid home R&D is a full blown thing these days. I grew up with a Commodore 64, so this still feels so futuristic. If I can come up with a suitable housing design, I'm probably going to mold it with a similar material to a hockey puck, but a little harder. 3D printing is great for designing, but too easy to delaminate at layer seams for practical daily use. The hardest part will be the circuit, 'cause I suck as soldering.

Nice work! I was partial to “Death Sword”, “Defender of the Crown” and “The Last Ninja” on the C64.

Back
Top Bottom