• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prototype M1 garands

An outstanding use of two hours of your time. I am amazed how many gun owners haven't made the trek. I still have to get a group together for a private tour of all the good stuff hidden away. They have something like the first Garand, the 73 first made from tooling and the 1,2,3,4 and 5 Millionth Garand on display. Oh and the wall of Muskets....

An outstanding use of two hours of your time. I am amazed how many gun owners haven't made the trek. I still have to get a group together for a private tour of all the good stuff hidden away. They have something like the first Garand, the 73 first made from tooling and the 1,2,3,4 and 5 Millionth Garand on display. Oh and the wall of Muskets....

Rep I’ve heard people talk about the private tours and about the other floors not open to the public. How can this be made possible?

Rep I’ve heard people talk about the private tours and about the other floors not open to the public. How can this be made possible?

I looked into it about 5 years ago, at the time you would arrange a time and come in with a small group of people for a private tour. I probably should check again sometime

I looked into it about 5 years ago, at the time you would arrange a time and come in with a small group of people for a private tour. I probably should check again sometime

Wouldn't that be the ultimate NES meet and greet?

Private tour of the museum, followed by dinner at a nearby establishment. Or maybe, meet for lunch then take the tour, to accommodate those with a long ride.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate NES meet and greet?

Private tour of the museum, followed by dinner at a nearby establishment. Or maybe, meet for lunch then take the tour, to accommodate those with a long ride.
Just park a few blocks away and start shooting all cowboy style

There are other forums?
JK - real cool thread. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah I venture off sometimes but I have to come back to NES for the thicker skinned folks here. I was almost banned for my first post on another forum and another gun related forum I bucked the trend and got locked out for a while. Fun stuff

Or maybe, meet for lunch then take the tour, to accommodate those with a long ride.

I vote for an overnight stay and a 3 or 4 drink Supper, not lunch. Next day I can hit S&W for a look see then return home.

Anyone recommend lodging and restaurants?

I admit that I was a little disappointed in the standard walk around. Sure there was some nice stuff, especially the wall of muskets, but I was expecting more of everything. My buddy mentioned after my visit that is I wanted to see the real stuff, set up an appointment.

The Armory is awesome, just don't stop anywhere else in Springfield.
shadow of what it used to be. Went there 30 years ago for school fieldtrip. It had to be about a 2 hour walk. Went a few times every few years with dad. Was smaller and smaller.

Now that the Armory is officially under the National Park Service we might see the guns go into deep deep storage and only pictures of guns on the wall.
Herritage Museum down the cap no longer does their display.
Honestly you might have better times at the new huddson museum and the WWII museum in Natick. My plans are to hit those on these cold winter days ahead

I changed jobs last spring and took a few days off before I stared working the new job. I went up to Springfield to check out the site. It not like the Ft Benning Infantry Museum, but it's worth checking out. The musket collection is incredible and the general collection of WW1 & WW2 weapons are impressive.

Back
Top Bottom