Protestors gather in Akron after police finally release footage of Jayland Walker shooting: Black DoorDash driver, 25, who cops say opened fire on

Reptile

NES Member

Protestors gather in Akron after police finally release footage of Jayland Walker shooting: Black DoorDash driver, 25, who cops say opened fire on them was shot 60 times by eight officers as he fled traffic stop in ski mask and left gun in car​

• Akron police released body camera footage from the shooting of Jayland Walker
  • The 25-year-old black man was shot 60 times in hail of 90 bullets on June 27
  • Video shows multiple cops firing at Walker as he fled a traffic stop on foot
  • The footage revealed Walker had a gun on the front seat of his silver Buick
  • The clip also showed the moment cops say gun was fired from the driver's side
  • The family attorney said he has not seen any evidence Walker fired a weapon
Police have released body camera footage of the moment a black man from Ohio was shot by police at least 60 times - on the final deadline they had to turn over the video to the public.

Jayland Walker, 25, was killed by Akron police after officers tried to stop him for a traffic violation while he was driving on June 27.

The shocking footage, made public on Sunday, showed multiple officers approach Walker's vehicle and open fire as he fled on foot. The hail of bullets sounded like 'a whole brick of fireworks going off,' the family's attorney alleged.

Video from the scene also showed a gun on the front seat of Walker's car, contradicting earlier reports that the 25-year-old had been unarmed.

The cameras captured what appeared to be a flash of a gun coming from Walker's car during the chase. Akron police previously claimed Walker had fired a gun at officers who were pursuing him.

The medical examiner determined Walker had suffered 60 gunshot wounds during the incident, Akron Police Chief Stephen Mylett confirmed Sunday. The exact number of shots fired remains under investigation, but initial estimates suggested a hail of 90 bullets.

Continues...

Next time dontdo shoot at the copsh.

Is there another video? 6:30 of driving, a foot chase, and a lot of shooty shoots make up the remaining 30 seconds. I saw No evidence of a shot being fired and considering the gun was found in the car, I have questions? This video is vague enough to be used as fodder for another George Floyd-esque summer of “love”.

The video isn’t clear at all, it’s dark, video is shaky, the dead guy is a decent distance away and fairly small in the video.

So it may have been a legitimate shooting early on. When the dead guy had already been shot many times and was motionless on the guy yet the cop with the body cam pumps another 8 rounds in him, that’s hard to justify (to be kind). If cops were better trained to deal with his stress situations they wouldn’t mag dump into a motionless guy on the ground.

Training is expensive though so cities, states. etc risky the payout settlements because it’s cheaper.

The dead guy could have not run too, he’d be alive and at most facing moderate charges. He chose poorly

The video isn’t clear at all, it’s dark, video is shaky, the dead guy is a decent distance away and fairly small in the video.

So it may have been a legitimate shooting early on. When the dead guy had already been shot many times and was motionless on the guy yet the cop with the body cam pumps another 8 rounds in him, that’s hard to justify (to be kind). If cops were better trained to deal with his stress situations they wouldn’t mag dump into a motionless guy on the ground.

Training is expensive though so cities, states. etc risky the payout settlements because it’s cheaper.

The dead guy could have not run too, he’d be alive and at most facing moderate charges. He chose poorly
I’m with ya right up until your last sentence. Run and gun? Get shot. Simply run though? The penalty for resisting/evading arrest isn’t death. Heck, even those complying and informing officers of the fact that they’re carrying (Philandro Castile, checking in) still get shot, so playing the odds doesn’t seem all too outrageous. However, the extended pursuit (I assume there was a chase, considering the 6:30 of driving vid?) makes this a less than reasonable comparison.
So, I guess,
🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm not going to knock a delivery driver for packing heat, though. That can get weird out there.
I would expect most of those people (Uber, Door dash drivers, etc) to be carrying for their own protection, especially in Akron. That’s just practicing sound 2A logic.

Watch at 9:25 and see them all cross each other

There are indeed other videos! Great link. Got damn! My only solid takeaway is, that’s a whole lotta gunfire for one fella running away. I’ve watched a few times (admittedly on my phone) but I can’t make out a turn, or motion that initiated the barrage. The media is quick to call shoot outs “a barrage of gunfire” or a small collection a “cache”. That, was a barrage of gunfire if I’ve ever seen one.

The penalty for resisting/evading arrest isn’t death.
Sure, but the cops aren't meting out punishment. This isn't Judge Dredd. Shooting out the window (presumably at the cops, though it isn't actually that important where the shots were aimed) morphed a situation where a person was fleeing a traffic stop, maybe because he had too many tickets, to one where he was a fleeing felon and an active public safety risk. Once you discharge a firearm under those circumstances, you've pretty much just authorized deadly force against you, and leaving the gun in the car isn't going to help. Your damned finger might as well be a gun for all the time the cops have to ascertain that you're no longer armed during foot chase.

Having said that, I don't know about the wall of lead they all threw at him. It seems like there's a sympathetic instinct that needs some regulation, the instinct that gets everybody shooting whether they've seen a reason to open fire or not. "Well, my buddy's shooting at him, so I guess I'd better empty my magazine at him, too." Seems like that's not what we ideally want.

Sure, but the cops aren't meting out punishment. This isn't Judge Dredd. Shooting out the window (presumably at the cops, though it isn't actually that important where the shots were aimed) morphed a situation where a person was fleeing a traffic stop, maybe because he had too many tickets, to one where he was a fleeing felon and an active public safety risk. Once you discharge a firearm under those circumstances, you've pretty much just authorized deadly force against you, and leaving the gun in the car isn't going to help. Your damned finger might as well be a gun for all the time the cops have to ascertain that you're no longer armed during foot chase.

Having said that, I don't know about the wall of lead they all threw at him. It seems like there's a sympathetic instinct that needs some regulation, the instinct that gets everybody shooting whether they've seen a reason to open fire or not. "Well, my buddy's shooting at him, so I guess I'd better empty my magazine at him, too." Seems like that's not what we ideally want.
If he shot out of his window that certainly changes things, I hadn’t heard or read that. Then yeah, deadly force is likely justified (wall of lead not withstanding?). Now it just seems kinda spendy, considering the current price of hollow points, but I suppose in that situation then is not the time to be stingy.

60 hits out of 90 shots is great numbers for cop shooting!
(Wonder where the other 30 ended up?)😬
At least the officers got to go home.

I’m with ya right up until your last sentence. Run and gun? Get shot. Simply run though? The penalty for resisting/evading arrest isn’t death. Heck, even those complying and informing officers of the fact that they’re carrying (Philandro Castile, checking in) still get shot, so playing the odds doesn’t seem all too outrageous. However, the extended pursuit (I assume there was a chase, considering the 6:30 of driving vid?) makes this a less than reasonable comparison.
So, I guess,
🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not saying he deserves to be shot for running, I’m simply saying if he pulled over like a normal traffic stop instead of fleeing in his car, then on foot, no one would even know his name because he’d be out on bail right now. When anyone does something stupid like running from cops, cliff jumping in a quarry, a tik tok challenge, they increase the risk of injury or death.

The cops are claiming when he ran he raised looked back and raised his arm. No idea if that happened because the video isn’t clear.

Last edited:

Even if the initial shots were justified (no idea because I can’t see anything on the video) they need to justify each shot fired. He was clearly on the ground motionless and took at least 20 shots. What ,any have been a threat and a justified shot can and does change when the threat isn’t there and the shooter becomes the aggressor.

The cops may not be charged with murder, manslaughter, etc but it’s hard to see how some art not charged with excessive force by the prosecutor or at least by the department administratively

PSA black guys. Warning: Dumbocrat in White House. Nobody cares if you get shot Now. Come back when trumps back in office and we’ll play the Black Lives Matter nonsense again. Thank you that is all.

There have been a few shootings which never got any traction. Funny how outrage fluctuates based on politics. The media threw gas on everything in 2020.

CSI effect happening with police videos now. If it's not crystal clear on the dash/chest cam, it's never going to be good enough.

I'm not saying anything about this incident, or 'you' in particular, if they put rounds into him after he was down, that's 'bad' generally speaking. I watched some of the video and it was so jittery, I turned it off.

Back
Top Bottom