Protecting the M1 Garand from premature dispersion deterrioration

I would hazard millions of M1 Garand barrels were ruining by troops not having been show how to protect muzzles when cleaning them. Rubbing a cleaning rod on the end of the barrel will destroy the barrel in one or two cleaning sessions unless the muzzle end is protected.

This is what I use 30.06 commercial brass for. Note the neck is lengthened and also reduced in different dies and finally the base is drilled out.

If you have a lever gun these will work in 30.30 and 35 Rem as well. You can leave them on your cleaning rod.

This is how it is used

WKYNWzph.jpg

I don't think I've ever use a rod on any gun in the last 10 years. Bore snakes all the way. I clean the chamber from the breach side. All soft nylon. BUT. I've had to use a rod to take out a stuck case. This is perfect in that application.

Agreed but you can still get bore wear with such. The Swiss utilized cords on their cleaning of their rifles and their manuals warn of muzzle damage (complete with pictures) caused by cords not pulled straight through the bore. The US military specs solid rods because if you get a muzzle full of mud you need something stiff to push them out. Also on MGs with hot barrels a rod may be needed to get a case out. That is why the patches with synthetic material was not approved as putting them in hot barrels tends to melt them. You will see a number of shooters carrying a cleaning rod to the line at Camp Perry on the 1000 yard line as did I. Never needed one myself but I have had guys borrow my rod to get a stuck case loose.

I have one of the plastic M1 muzzle protectors but I like this idea for everything else. My 94AE in .307 Win can use this trick. A coated rod helps, but agreed that it's always best to just stay off the muzzle.

Nice reminder to bring a cleaning rod to the line, just in case.

At first I used an aluminum cleaning rod. Aluminum is softer than steel and can't wear down or mar the muzzle.

When using aluminum you have to be careful not to get hard particles embedded in the aluminum which could scratch muzzle.

But now I use bore snakes all the time.

I have a few solid brass rods that are really long. They don't get much use as like others have said, boresnakes.

I'm seeing that i'm the minority here, but I use my tipton carbon fiber rod and brass jags almost daily. In my experience, there's just nothing that cleans as well, and in the past year of cleaning this way I haven't noticed any variance in accuracy. I use the setup on junky old milsurps and match barrels alike.

I'm guessing maybe the carbon fiber/brass jag combo isn't really what anyone is referring to, but it seems to work just fine for me and the combo was about $50 through amazon for the tipton (i want to say 40" rod) and a set of about 12 or so brass jags (also tipton). I honestly don't even know why it took me so long to start using jags, but the difference is night and day.

Bore snakes are good for a quick swipe to get debris out as the firing line, but are no way to really clean a rifle. If you wipe your nose with a dirty tissue, you end up getting snots all over your nose...smell what I'm stepping in?

and ftr...just because the military does something, makes me want to do the exact opposite.

and also, to the OP...cool idea anyway! if it works for you that's really all that matters. necessity is the mother of invention!

the garand collectors association did a muzzle wear test with a issued steel sectional cleaning rod and purposely rubbed the rod against the muzzle crown, the wear was minimal and IIRC there was not a measurable accuracy decline from the before and after test IIRC.
iirc they ran the rod back and forth 6k times? I will look for the magazine when i get home but i think its berried at the moment while i do so work in the basement.

you can damage a crown and barrel with improper methods and not being careful for sure. I have had many smarter gun guys tell me more damage is done from over cleaning and frequent cleaning.
Old sign on the desk of a gunsmith my dad used to use said "i have repaired more clean guns than dirty guns"

The jointed military rods are the killers and definitely not straight.
Straight is laughable the few I have go off in several directions at each joint! I use the muzzle protector on my cleaning rod . screws to the handle base.
Good stuff you have been posting , thank you

I would hazard even further, that millions of combat troops didn't have the time or give two fiddler's %$#@s about the condition of their muzzle on the battle field when they were trying to make it alive into the next minute of their given situations. They didn't have a drill or mill handy to remove the case head of a piece of brass either! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom