Protecting fido from coyotes

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

We have had a couple of coyotes prowl through the wooded area behind my house fairly often lately. We also had a pack very close to our cape house this weekend. Is a legal to shoot a coyote that is attacking, or stalking and looking like its about to attack -- not you or another human -- but your dog (who I think better of then many people)? In your own backyard, near other homes? In a State Park?

-= chuck

If I remember news reports correctly, people have shot them before defending their pets and have not been charged. You may face a civil suit from the family of the coyote though.

In your own backyard, definitely shoot it. When in doubt, say that it was coming after you as well. But the best thing to do with a coyote that looks like it's thinking about attacking your dog is to chase the thing off. They rarely go after anything bigger than them (according to one of my professors from BC who is one of the leading experts on coyotes and coyote behavior in the region.) Coyotes will attack smaller animals like cats or small dogs, or small children, but when faced with a full sized human adult, they think wiser and run away.

Last edited:
I suggest that you check on this very carefully. IIRC, any violation of game laws can result in you losing your LTC permanently. I strongly suggest that you contact MassWildlife in writing and ask for a written reply.

There's an actual coyote season too. If you have a farm you can shoot htem anytime they're threatening your livestock, in the burbs, I'm not so sure.

Keep in mind that there is the 150 feet from a road and 500 feet from a neighbor without permission rule that may apply too.

I'd check with the local police, and MassWildlife. I know MassWildlife has pamphlets. It's unlikely that the coyotes will attack you. It's unlikely that a single coyote would attack your dog unless it's a little foofie thing. A pair or pack may.

I am all for remote-detonated claymore mines. Just leave the remote under the coyote bait and........

wilecoyoteroadrunner.jpg

Just remember to shout "It's coming right for us!" first and you'll be OK.

DISCLAIMER WARNING BigWarden's silly comments should under no circumstances be taken as legal counsel. BigWarden is not an attorney, nor does he play one on TV. BigWarden also did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. The above post is intended for entertainment purposes only. By reading this post, you perpetually absolve BigWarden of all liability for all actions that you may take in response to any of his asinine commentary. Do not look directly at BigWarden. BigWarden may cause irritable bowel syndrome and a slight feeling of nausea. Do not taunt BigWarden. If you notice a rash or other skin discoloration, stop reading BigWarden's posts immediately.

Last edited:
Swift, silent, deadly.
I thought that that was the US Submarine Service...

It'd be difficult to fit an Ohio-class boomer in your back yard... Although my wife would love to figure out how to do so as she works on one of their systems. [smile]

chuck...i agree with jose...and it was what i was gonna suggest...had a coyote in the back yard 2 years ago...went to grab my bow but by the time i did it had retreated to the woods...no one will hear you shoot it and if youre a good shot with a decent bow 1 shot should do it...if youre not that great with a bow take a trip to kittery and get a crossbow with a scope on it

Didn't I see a full auto BB gun in the classifieds? I bet that would send them running.

Hi,

Is a legal to shoot a coyote that is attacking, or stalking and looking like its about to attack -- not you or another human -- but your dog (who I think better of then many people)? In your own backyard, near other homes? In a State Park?

-= chuck

In the instance you give the answer is NO.

Chapter 131: Section 58. Shooting upon or across highway; hunting near dwelling

Section 58. A person shall not discharge any firearm or release any arrow upon or across any state or hard surfaced highway, or within one hundred and fifty feet, of any such highway, or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

Chapter 269: Section 12E. Discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling or other building in use; exceptions

Section 12E. Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established; (e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and (f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

I can not find the section right now for protecting livestock and poultry but a dog does not come under that.

The bow is the best way or stake a chicken out in the yard.

I used to hunt coyote all the time as a child.

Regardless whether or not a dog counts as property, you can count on the MSPCA making life miserable for you. You may be spending some cash defending your actions.

As I found out with the squirrels, it's best just to deal with things quietly.

CH 269 12E su section f A FIRING SQUAD????? As to a crossbow was at kittery with a cousin,damn them thing ain't cheap. IIRC least exspensive was $200 - $300 with some of them in the price range of a very nice hunting rifle.
If you watch " The People's Court' or "Judge Judy" cases where dogs are killed etc people ask for pain and suffering for their pet standard answer they are considered property under the law thus not eligible for compensation.

DISCLAIMER WARNING BigWarden's silly comments should under no circumstances be taken as legal counsel. BigWarden is not an attorney, nor does he play one on TV. BigWarden also did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. The above post is intended for entertainment purposes only. By reading this post, you perpetually absolve BigWarden of all liability for all actions that you may take in response to any of his asinine commentary. Do not look directly at BigWarden. BigWarden may cause irritable bowel syndrome and a slight feeling of nausea. Do not taunt BigWarden. If you notice a rash or other skin discoloration, stop reading BigWarden's posts immediately.

[laugh2] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

That's awesome!

RJ

Back
Top Bottom