Protecting Barrel from Obstructions in Woods

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
Doing some reading about putting electric tape over the muzzle of a hunting gun to keep snow, rain, and other debris out of the barrel. If someone had a gun with a compensator or some other muzzle device, except a suppressor that could be taped, a condom should fit over the muzzle device, right? Then it'd blow off upon firing.

Sort of like this:

View attachment 365064
Just remember you can’t use it after.

I use electrical tape on my muzzleloader. Being neurotic when it comes to accurate shots while hunting, i tested it at the range. Not surprising, it had zero effect on accuracy.

Same here. Tested both the ML and the 12g with the same result.

One of the things that I tell students in Hunter Ed is to bring a take-down cleaning rod, in case they jam the barrel with crud. Of course, I also tell them that muzzle-down carry is less than ideal, most of the time.

I fell in the snow and had only been hunting a few years. Fortunately, I checked the barrel and it had several inches of snow in the barrel. I ended up taking the barrel off and using a stick and my hanky to clear the snow.

My first year hunting downeast I ended up with a branch stuck in my barrel. Found it when we returned to camp and I was wiping it down. Would have been ugly if I took a shot. I would use a small diameter red, rubber cap now that fits over the end of the muzzle. Finger condoms work well on muzzle loaders along with a baggie over the hammer and nipple.

A piece of Saran Wrap between the percussion cap and the nipple is just as effective and less cumbersome. There is plenty of spark to blow through the Saran Wrap and ignite the main powder charge. I always use real black powder in a “real“ muzzleloader. It has the lowest ignition temperature.

Bob

Mythbusters showed that even welding a steel washer to the barrel of a 12Ga shotgun that the barrel wouldn't blow up. It sheared of the welds and blew off the washer.

For the rest, what are you guys doing, crawling through mud and sand for hours? Covering up the muzzle has never crossed my mind. If there was an instant where it touched the ground (3 times in my life, I'm 49 now) I'd just check the barrel and shake out what was in there IF there was something in there.
Keep the barrel pointed down, problem solved.

RC

Mythbusters showed that even welding a steel washer to the barrel of a 12Ga shotgun that the barrel wouldn't blow up. It sheared of the welds and blew off the washer.

For the rest, what are you guys doing, crawling through mud and sand for hours? Covering up the muzzle has never crossed my mind. If there was an instant where it touched the ground (3 times in my life, I'm 49 now) I'd just check the barrel and shake out what was in there IF there was something in there.
Keep the barrel pointed down, problem solved.

RC

However it may affect your accuracy. Here is something a bit more tongue in cheek.

You could always sling your rifle muzzle down and save the condom in case you find a hot chick in the woods.

I remember going through Topsfield Fair and the Mass Wildlife guys (I think) had an interesting hunting rifle that was all kablooey. I guess the story is carrying it muzzle-down in the snow and then attempting a shot. So muzzle-down might not work in every situation. ;)

Back
Top Bottom