• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prospective Gun Store Employee

Hey all,

I was offered an interview at a store that sells firearms in CT. I'm currently at school down here and have my MA FID (turn 21 in March) and will apply for my CT long gun certificate/ammo certificate if hired.

I know that if hired, I have to take a test written by the state to qualify to sell firearms. Has anyone taken the test? What does it cover? Is there going to be a problem since I'm a non-resident? I made it very clear on the application that I'm only here for school and actually live in MA. I have a pretty good understanding of CT law, but I'm still learning.

Hope this all works out. I really want this job!

This!
If you don't know the answer tell the customer you need to get someone who can answer the question for them.
This x2! That's what I plan on doing. I see way too many people with bad info on here and in LGS and I don't want to contribute to it.
According to the BATFE you are a DUAL Resident. Google ATF Ruling 80-21 and enjoy!

Thanks! I knew I was technically a dual resident per ATF standards, but I don't think I fit the criteria for CT/MA dual residency in CT's eyes.

According to the BATFE you are a DUAL Resident. Google ATF Ruling 80-21 and enjoy!

could you point to the word DUAL in that ruling? I don't see it anywhere.

DUAL would imply you are a resident of TWO states at the same time but the ruling specifically states the opposite--you are a resident of ONE state or the other but not both.

The regulation states that during the time the individual actually resides in State X he is a resident of State X, and during the time he actually resides in State Y he is a resident of State Y.

https://www.atf.gov/file/55301/download

Is he also from a predominantly black neighborhood? If so, then a nearly all white jury isn't exactly a juror if his peers, is it?
What Len meant bu "Dual" is that you do not have to renounce your residence in one to take up residence in the other.

Not looking to get into a match about it haha. I'm just curious about the test I need to take..

27 CFR 178.11: MEANING OF TERMS

An out-of-State college student may establish residence in a State by residing and maintaining a home in a college dormitory or in a location off-campus during the school term.

ATF Rul. 80-21

"State of residence" is defined by regulation in 27 CFR 178.11 as the State in which an individual regularly resides or maintains a home. The regulation also provides an example
of an individual who maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. The individual regularly resides in State X except for the summer months and in State Y for the summer
months of the year. The regulation states that during the time the individual actually resides in State X he is a resident of State X, and during the time he actually resides in State Y he is a resident of State Y.

Applying the above example to out-of-State college students it is held, that during the time the students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an off-campus location they are considered residents of the State where the dormitory or off-campus home is located. During the time out-of-State college students actually reside in their home State they are considered residents of their home State.

[ATFB 1980-4 25]

DUAL would imply you are a resident of TWO states at the same time but the ruling specifically states the opposite--you are a resident of ONE state or the other but not both.

Last edited:
What Len meant bu "Dual" is that you do not have to renounce your residence in one to take up residence in the other.

you can't renounce your residency anymore than you can declare it. you're a resident where you reside.

sure, ATF won't care how many times you change residences. But will Mass consider it a "move" when one becomes a resident of another state and per ATF's opinion you cease to be a resident in Mass? That certainly seems like the definition of "move" to me.

my point being, that ruling doesn't really help one's "dual residency" argument as it applies to the MGL

Last edited:

That is absolutely incorrect.

The ATF explicitly has agreed that if you are a student or have a weekend home in a second state, then you are a bona fide resident of that state when you are there. Its pretty basic stuff.

Its so basic that its written into the form 4473 that you need to complete when you buy a firearm at retail. Look in the instructions for questions 3 and 20.

Don

from ATF FAQ
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-constitutes-residency-state

What constitutes residency in a State?

For Gun Control Act (GCA) purposes, a person is a resident of a State in which he or she is present with the intention of making a home in that State.

- - - Updated - - -

27 C.F.R. 178.11: MEANING OF TERMS
An out-of-State college student may establish residence in a State by residing and maintaining a home in a college dormitory or in a location off-campus during the school term.
ATF Rul. 80-21
[Status of ruling: Active]
The Bureau has been asked to determine the State of residence of out-of-State college students for purposes of the Gun Control Act of 1968. “State of residence” is defined by regulation in 27 C.F.R. 178.11 as the State in which an individual regularly resides or maintains a home. The regulation also provides an example of an individual who maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. The individual regularly resides in State X except for the summer months and in State Y for the summer months of the year. The regulation states that during the time the individual actually resides in State X he is a resident of State X, and during the time he actually resides in State Y he is a resident of State Y.Applying the above example to out-of- State college students it is held, that during the time the students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an off-campus location they are considered residents of the State where the dormitory or off-campus home is located. During the time out- of-State college students actually reside in their home State they are considered residents of their home State.

Hey all,

I was offered an interview at a store that sells firearms in CT. I'm currently at school down here and have my MA FID (turn 21 in March) and will apply for my CT long gun certificate/ammo certificate if hired.
Good luck!

I would go with CT's permit to carry pistols and revolvers. It's shall issue, and you can keep as a resident or non-resident. If you were to move away from CT, all you need to do is notify them of the address change and you can maintain it. Really worth it and it would let you carry in CT.

you can't renounce your residency anymore than you can declare it. you're a resident where you reside.

sure, ATF won't care how many times you change residences. But will Mass consider it a "move" when one becomes a resident of another state and per ATF's opinion you cease to be a resident in Mass? That certainly seems like the definition of "move" to me.

my point being, that ruling doesn't really help one's "dual residency" argument as it applies to the MGL

what you do outside of MA is none of MAs business. **** em.

Totally forgot to update the thread. Got the job, but had to turn down their offer due to logistical reasons. Oh well!

Too bad! Re-read your OP and noticed you aren't 21 yet so...you can disregard my entire earlier post anyway ha!

Cite me one example where a snowbirds resident MA LTC got revoked/cancelled due to an impromptu residency swap. You can't because it's never happened.

I can't cite any MA legal opinions. But as far as the feds are concerned, see my post above.

FL could not care less either.

People way over think this. Its very simple. If you maintain a residence in a state, then you are a resident when you are there. Proceed based on this unless someone in a position of authority says otherwise, then challenge it.

Remember our legal system is based on english common law. Everything is legal unless it is prohibited.

Last edited:
I can't cite any MA legal opinions. But as far as the feds are concerned, see my post above.

FL could not care less either.

People way over think this. Its very simple. If you maintain a residence in a state, then you are a resident when you are there. Proceed based on this unless someone in a position of authority says otherwise, then challenge it.

Remember our legal system is based on english common law. Everything is legal unless it is prohibited.

I just find it comical that the NES legal advice is two parts "you can't do that, 'cause Mass" and one part mythical terms like "dual citizen".

Like in one post people are saying boy scouts become felons for picking up spent brass and then here it's "oh, that law doesn't apply, screw Mass."

I don't care what people do. Go "declare" your residence in all 50 states and then rock out with your glock out. [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom