Pros Cons Glock 26 vs 27?

Looking for a carry gun, any reason to opt for the 27 over the 26 or vice versa?

Should the fact that I have like 1000 round of 9mm but no 40 influence my decision?

There are several in the classifieds right now, starting think it may be time to jump on one. I've only held a Glock 19 so i would imagine these are a whole different ballgame.

if you dont mind the extra cost in ammo and extra recoil id go with the 27. i have one and i love it! its the only gun i own that i use as a carry.

You can't really go wrong either way. I have a 26, and Dench was nice enough to let me shoot his 27 a while back. They aren't that different, really -- just a little more recoil flip on the 27. In Mass, I would get the one that is available in good shape at a decent price.

A good 9mm +p hollow point round does as much damage as a .40 round. "xx caliber is better than xx caliber" is a silly argument these days.

Differences:

.40 has more recoil.
.40 costs more than 9mm.
You can drop 9mm and .357Sig barrels into the G27.

That's it really.

I personally own and carry the G26. Only because I never liked the .40 round and knew I'd never want to shoot it.

Cheaper ammo costs of 9mm and less recoil of the 26 aren't real arguments because you can always drop a 9mm barrel into the 27 and shoot 9mm. But I'd only go this route if you ever think you'll want to shoot .40 or .357sig out of a sub compact.

If you don't think you'll ever care to shoot .40 or .357sig (like me)... then just get the G26.

G26's pop up all the time on NES... and Four Seasons get an infusion of them every few weeks.

A good 9mm +p hollow point round does as much damage as a .40 round. "xx caliber is better than xx caliber" is a silly argument these days.

I didn't say it was better, just a bigger hole.. [laugh] I personally carry 9mm, because I perefer less recoil, but my husband carries a G27, and it is an awesome gun.

I agree with Hanwei. I used to have G23/G27 but I converted them to G19/G26 and haven't looked back.
Glock is best in 9mm anyway.

Yeah I was never a big fan of the .40 S&W. Owned a Walther P99c in .40 and I liked it but it just wasn't quite right for me. I now have a 3rd gen G26 for my daily carry and like it alot. Never shot the G27 though.

You just can't swap barrels. I believe you also have to swap extractors and the trigger housing with the ejector.

You don't have to swap anything else if you don't want to. It will work fine with just the barrel swap. I'd only use it for range use in the 9mm conversion, not for protection/carry.

-Cuz.

I've shot them both and prefer the 26. The 27 kicks harder and the .40 has not done well in recent police shootings. I'd rather carry a slightly larger gun in .45acp which is what I do but I'd carry the 26 over the 27.

Multiple center mass hits did not prevent the bad guy from continuing to fire. I'll stick with the .45auto.

I'm a .45 guy myself, but there are PLENTY of the failure to stop reports for all the major calibers. I think you are fooling yourself if you think a .45 is vastly superior than the .40.

I only see a problem G27/G26 prices in Massachusetts. Instead of paying the "can't get them here" markup, try an M&P9c.

I carry an M&Pc sometimes and it's a fine pistol, however, the big advantage of the G26 (for example) is that you stuff a G17 hi-cap mag in your pocket as a second mag. The fact that you can get legal hi-caps for glocks in a big factor for a carry gun IMO.

I carried a Glock 36 in 45 ACP but found it was challenging to always conceal relaibly. I have since opted to carry either my S&W 642 revolver or Kahr PM-9 in pocket holsters.

I'm new here and just went green, thought I'd share my experience.
I bought a night sight gen 2.5 G27 because that's what I could get in MA locally. You can get a 9mm barrel from storm lake or wolf, they both have good reviews. The wolf has an ugly dog head on the face so I went with storm lake. The chamber is considered match but I'm told storm lake will ream it out to Glock specs if you want. You should get at least 1 9mm mag (I bought 2 g26 and use my g19 mags also) for reliable function. I've shot about 100 rounds so far with no problems at all. Some people have to change extractor, ejector or both but I haven't seen it. Last but not least, you can't get a 40 conversion for the g26.
For carry I personally would only use the stock barrel at this point. I do like the option of shooting both calibers in one gun and it takes about a minute for the swap.
--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Are you saying that 9 is as good as .40 when it comes to bad guys?

Basically. Yes. [grin]

1. The caliber you carry matters less than shot placement. A bad guy will be just as dead with a 9mm +P HP round through their heart/lungs or a .40 round through their heart/lungs. Only my opinion of course.

2. But if we're going to compare these two calibers... modern 9mm +P HP ammo has basically closed the gap with .40 in terms of penetration, wound channel, etc. So in my mind (again, only my opinion)... there's really no reason to carry the 27 (.40). In the 26 you get a gun with less recoil, more capacity, and a caliber that, now, performs similarly to the .40.

Bottom line... both calibers will do the job just fine as long as you do your part.

OP... which ever one you get... 26 or 27... practice a LOT with it. 9mm or .40 won't matter if you can't hit what you're aiming at [smile]

1. The caliber you carry matters less than shot placement. A bad guy will be just as dead with a 9mm +P HP round through their heart/lungs or a .40 round through their heart/lungs. Only my opinion of course.
Here in the US we are obsessed with the latest go-fast, bigger, better widget, as evidenced by our obsession with the "best" caliber or "best" gun.

The difference in performance between 9mm, .40, and .45 just isn't worth a hill of beans. All handgun rounds are relatively weak. And none of them work worth a damn when you miss COM.

Get a gun that you can shoot well and practice a lot. Nothing else really matters much.

the big advantage of the G26 (for example) is that you stuff a G17 hi-cap mag in your pocket as a second mag.

Or a 31 round Glock 18 mag with a +2 [smile]

Just for kicks here's a pic:
102_0900.jpg

Multiple center mass hits did not prevent the bad guy from continuing to fire. I'll stick with the .45auto.

This has happend with every handgun cartridge known to man including your beloved .45 ACP.

I'll take 17 9 mm 147 grain JHPs over 8 .45 ACP 230 grain JHPs any day.

Back
Top Bottom