• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pros and Cons of FID for Minor Child

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi All,

A friend of mine asked me if it was worth it for his child to get a FID at the age of 15 as is allowed by law.

I told him I didn't really know, but would try to find out.

So in a nutshell, what does it get him??

What are the costs as far as privacy?

Is there an interview?

Don

So in a nutshell, what does it get him??
Ability to possess ammo, low cap guns, and carry pepper spray.

The FID is good for 5-6 years (up to 6, expiring on birthday)

If your kid will be borrowing your car once he get a driving license, and FID is good insurance against problems from ammo left in the car.

When my kid was younger, I told her she would never be able to borrow my car unless she got an FID, because I often had a range bag or some ammo in the trunk and could not continually sanitize the car for her.

The interview is perfunctory as FID is shall issue.

Last edited:
It allows them to transport long guns. I help run a youth trap team and encourage the 15 year old youth athletes to get their FID. That way when they start to drive they can go to practice with their firearm legally.

I really don't know of a downside and remember that 15-19 year old kids pay a reduced fee ($25?) not the $100 but someone else can elaborate with the exact information

It will allow the minor to get a hunting license. Oh....and out of trouble if you leave ammo in your car by mistake.

NO downside, IMO.

BTW, Whacko, an FID is not required for a Hunting License - you can hunt with equipment that does not require one.

As for an interview, it depends on the town - mine has none. In fact, my younger son schooled the PD on the real cost of an FID for <18, among other things. [laugh]

As for the privacy, my kids were Out of the Gun Safe since elementary school. [wink]

According to the First Circuit, an FID card will let you keep a handgun in the home.
However, a more restrictive license, the FID Card, would permit a license holder to have a firearm in the home for purposes of self-defense. Morin v. Leahy, 862 F. 3d 123 - Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit 2017

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the response.

Re SwatGig's comment. This has nothing to do with my question, but is very intereseting since the statute law says you need a LTC to keep a handgun. (a firearm by MA terms) or am I reading too much into it?

Don

Thanks guys.

Re SwatGig's comment. This has nothing to do with my question, but is very intereseting since the statute law says you need a LTC to keep a handgun. (a firearm by MA terms) or am I reading too much into it?

Don

The FID statute says that you cannot possess a firearm (handgun under Mass law) with an FID Card EXCEPT at a gun range.

but....

The Heller case says that you have a right to a handgun in the home for self defense.

The Attorney General argued that there is no Second Amendment right to a LTC, because you only need a FID card to possess a handgun in the home for self defense, and cited a bunch of cases that had that incorrect statement.

The First Circuit bought off on it and held that you CAN possess a handgun in the home for self defense.

Morin v. Leahy, 862 F. 3d 123 - Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit 2017

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=13429964527995017489

Is there any statutory mechanism for a FID holder to PURCHASE a handgun?

Or is that what the Permit to Purchase is??

This is also interesting because I'm also thinking that Given Morin v Leahey, it would be legal for a 18 year old with a FID to have access to your firearms in the home. Including handguns.

I'm also assuming that between 15 and 17, a minor FID holder can not have access to your firerms in your safes. Correct?

Don

Don't know of any downsides - both of my children had their FID at fifteen to give them access to long guns, ammo and pepper spray.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

Don
The first circuit mis-stated Massachusetts law so that it could justify the decision it wanted to issue, rather than one which would be consistent with both SCOTUS decisions and the actual MA law. If you can't issue the decision you want based on the facts, use alternative facts.

Once they complete hunter safety course or have letter from parent or guardian - correct?

It's not one or the other....its both. Hunter Ed AND a letter from parent or guardian to purchase the license. Thennthe fid is necessary to hunt with a fire arm. Myoint is once a child is 15 they cannot hunt with a fire arm without an fid.

- - - Updated - - -

NO downside, IMO.

BTW, Whacko, an FID is not required for a Hunting License - you can hunt with equipment that does not require one.

As for an interview, it depends on the town - mine has none. In fact, my younger son schooled the PD on the real cost of an FID for <18, among other things. [laugh]

As for the privacy, my kids were Out of the Gun Safe since elementary school. [wink]

Correction ...it will allow the 15 year old to hunt with a fire arm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom