• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pro's and Cons of 01 FFL vs 07 FFL with SOT

So a little background. I'm in NH. I have had my 01 FFL for 15 years now, it is an LLC not a Sole Proprietorship. The past few years I have been thinking about getting my SOT tax stamp so that I can deal in NFA stuff. But lately I have been thinking that if I do that then maybe it would be better to get an 07 FFL and a SOT tax stamp. Just wondering if people have opinions on what way would be better to go and the pro'a and cons. Thanks

Last edited:
The issue for me was the ITAR export registration requirements that cost $2500 a year for manufacturers, even if the company didn’t export.

I’m not certain, but the latest changes may have eliminated that. Hopefully someone will chime in with info

They removed a lot of stuff from ITAR but post samples are still there so if you're going for an 07 and want to make some posties, ITAR still applies.

The issue for me was the ITAR export registration requirements that cost $2500 a year for manufacturers, even if the company didn’t export.

I’m not certain, but the latest changes may have eliminated that. Hopefully someone will chime in with info

07/SOT gives you more options. ITAR is a grey area. Research that carefully if you actually want to make post samples. Meanwhile, you can have post samples transferred to you under the right conditions. The SOT will allow you to deal in transferrable NFA stuff. You don't "apply" for the SOT, you just buy it. Jack.

They removed a lot of stuff from ITAR but post samples are still there so if you're going for an 07 and want to make some posties, ITAR still applies.
Yea, I believe most title l stuff will not be itar controlled when the regulation takes effect.
However, machine guns & silencers are still controlled.
Means I still have to register, even though we don't export (yet)

Steve

Back
Top Bottom