• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

proposed law would let police enter homes without warrants and shoot dogs

From Mississippi. I think you guys will enjoy this one.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/propos...homes-without-warrants-and-shoot-dogs/203140/

I'll get the title right eventually. I copy and pasted the link heading. The original title was a joke in reference to one of my other posts.

Just thought this was amusing given the penchant for jokes and comments about dogs being shot so often here.

Pretty crazy that this was floated as an idea though.

Last edited:
I do not disagree with this assessment however it is funny to me (not in a good way) how quickly they jump to the bill of rights to defend themselves against unfair practices. Oh, except when it comes to the second of course...

Kris Diaz, executive director of a group that advocates for breed-neutral legislation, said that “the fourth amendment clearly protects people from such actions.

“This bill effectively removes any protections people have from unreasonable search and seizure, and opens the door to using a dangerous dog claim as a way to scrutinize people for things they couldn’t otherwise get a warrant for.”

I fully support this amendment. But it doesn't go far enough, most people have knives in their houses too, and we must protect our officers.

[troll]

House Bill 1261 not only says police may enter homes without warrants, but they could actually kill the animal if they determine the dogs are “not under proper restraint when on the premises of its owner” or if they are not wearing vaccination tags and “attempts to peacefully capture the dog have been made and proven unsuccessful.”

That is just plain foul. They illegally enter a house (even if this bill becomes law, it's still an illegal search and seizure according to some wrinkly document our country was founded on) without the owner present. Because a dog isn't instantly submissive to a group of strangers in the house, they can kill it cart blanche? Absolutely sick.

ETA: this thread needs a real title. It's because of titles like this that things aren't searchable and there are double, triple, quintuple dupes.

Last edited:
The bill did die in committee but for argument's sake, lets go down this rabbit hole.

People who shoot dogs are cowards. Dogs are territorial. If a cop enters a dog's territory, instinct will tell it to alert its owner by barking and appearing aggressive. What you have here is a self-fulfilling mandate to kill dogs in their owners' homes.

Cop opens door without warrant dog is not "Securely confined" (Caged?) - dog gets shot.
Cop opens door without a warrant, dog sees stranger entering home and A) decides to defend home B) runs to greet its new friend - Dog gets shot
Cop opens door without a warrant, dog runs out - Dog gets shot.

The part in question. Clearly a 4th Amendment violation on its face.

In order to determine if there is a violation of this section, a law enforcement officer, at any time, may enter the 187 premises where a dangerous dog is kept, or is believed to be kept, for an on-site inspection of the premises.

The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prevent a law enforcement officer from destroying, or using deadly force when confronting, a dangerous dog pursuant to Sections 1 280 through 6 of this act.

This part is also absurd. We all no felons can't own guns, ever hear about felons not being able to own dogs? Well they tried.

It is unlawful for a person who has been convicted of any felony to be the owner of a dangerous dog, or to reside within any premises upon which a dangerous dog is located.

No matter, the bill is dead. The fact it was even proposed is scary though.

They aren't saying they can just shoot any dog. They can ONLY bust your door down if there is a Pit Bull in your house. Then they can shoot it if you don't have it chained to a desk or steel column wearing Proper tags.

Oh, well its okay then. /SARCHASM.

Back
Top Bottom