Proposed Ballot Question Would Require Gun Safes in Massachusetts

mikeyp

NES Member
BOHICA

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...ire-Gun-Safes-in-Massachusetts-538603201.html

In response to mass shootings in Ohio and Texas, a Boston man has filed a petition to address gun safety on the 2020 ballot in Massachusetts.

The proposed ballot question asks whether gun owners should be required to store their weapons — handguns, rifles and shotguns — in a "certified" safe in their homes. It also states that gun owners would be responsible for crimes committed with their weapons.

"It's common sense. I think having a safe for guns, and anything like that, you want to just side on the side of caution," said Jimmy Keenan, who signed the petition.

Currently, Massachusetts requires gun owners to store their weapons securely by lock, or using a trigger that is resistant to tampering. Gun control advocates said that system has worked.

"Yes, a safe would make it safer. But it's not a priority," said John Rosenthal of Stop Handgun Violence.

Massachusetts has long had a reputation of having some of the stricter gun laws in the country. Rosenthal does not believe the proposal would necessarily make a difference in regulation here.

"Before we add to those gun laws, other than improving our background check requirements, I'm not interested in making it harder for law abiding gun owners." Rosenthal explained.

In addition, gun rights advocates said the cost of adding a safe to a home would unfairly penalize lawful gun owners.

"You're going to actually price people out of being able to exercise their civil rights," said Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts.

NBC10 Boston reached out to the man who initially filed the petition, a West Roxbury resident, but did not hear back. In order for the question to reach the ballot, it must first be certified by the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office. After that, supporters must obtain roughly 80,000 signatures.

Who does the "certification"? I'm sure something like a UL fire rating or security rating or some other standard won't be enough.
The state will require an expensive battery of tests, like dropping the safe off the top of the AG's office building onto the parking lot to see if the doors fly open and the angry, scary guns get out and start shooting people.
A $75 handgun box will now cost $175.
Will there be two lists?

Drip, drip, drip, drip, drip.
I'm sure there will be no problem getting 80,000 leftists in Massachusetts to sign onto any initiative to further errode the rights of gun owners.

Rosenthals very existance makes it harder for law abiding gun owners.

One of the best visions I've ever had was the Massachusetts state line sign in my rear view mirror as I left that police state.

And if you already own a safe (or safes), it of course won't be "certified" so you'll have to figure out how to get a perfectly good 1200 pound safe out of your basement, toss it, buy another and get that back down there. Great.

I'll pass. My guns are secure enough that even my wife can't get to them (she's not licensed and scared of them anyways).

The phrase “common sense” infuriates me. It’s effectively liberal speak for “we’re smarter than you”

No its leftist "new speak" that they use when ever their position cannot be justifiably defended. Its a white wash designed to soften the blow of their dictatorial actions in the minds of useful idiots.

This will be the start of the slippery slope. If this ballot petition works and this gets put up as ballot question for a vote and then passes and then gets signed into law the next thing will be a ballot question on placing insurance on each of the firearms owned then a tax on firearms owned and then a special sales tax on firearms and ammunition and on and on with the next safe gun ownership idea. This ballot question ploy will end up being one more tool for the liberals in this state to push the agenda and fulfill there dreams of a gun free state. No need to confiscate or outlaw firearms just make it unbearably expensive to own firearms in this state. The common cry will be we are not trying to take your guns away we just need common sense gun control to make firearm ownership safer for everyone. It will be a state of only criminals and law enforcement having firearms. Lets see how that will work out. In this state I will put my money on the criminals. they are the true protected class in MA.

Last edited:
Their idea of safe storage of firearms is probably similar to John Wick using a sledge hammer to excavate his stash from under a concrete slab.

I can;t see this withstanding a constitutional challenge - even if it does get on the ballot - and does pass. All this will do is cost the state money to defend and won;t do a damn thing to prevent misuse of firearms.

That said - safes are a good idea.... But mandated in law... All that does is price people out of firearm ownership.

The heroes can inspect my certified safe anytime. No warrant needed. Just “secure” the house and you’re good to go!

"I can;t see this withstanding a constitutional challenge" like all the other stuff this state has done that has been able to withstand a constitutional challenge.

Damn. When Rosenthal is against your new gun law, you know it's beyond stupid.

Rosenthal is only against this because he likely harbors fears that it might piss a bunch of people off that otherwise wouldn't care about gun politics, and possibly motivate others to push back against his other brand of pet bullshit... because this is exactly the type of ballot thing that might piss off a shitload of fudds at once. "What do you mean my glass cabinet with the geese on it isn't good enough?" etc.

It's much harder to steal the radio from people while they're listening to it if the thief is dumb enough to not put batteries in it first before unplugging it
from the wall... when the music STOPS abruptly people tend to start paying attention.

-Mike

Rosenthal doesn't want to make it harder for law-abiding citizens? Who does he think he is kidding? If this petition had more onerous gun control measures such as UBC, one gun/month, waiting periods, etc., he'd be all over this like a fly on shit!

Drip, drip, drip, drip, drip.
I'm sure there will be no problem getting 80,000 leftists in Massachusetts to sign onto any initiative to further errode the rights of gun owners.

Rosenthals very existance makes it harder for law abiding gun owners.

One of the best visions I've ever had was the Massachusetts state line sign in my rear view mirror as I left that police state.
Can't wait to take that picture, looking like 9/24-5.

I keep all my guns in a safe other than the one that is on me and the one in a lockbox on my night stand. If I’m not correct this would require me to remove my locked nightstand gun. The only place with room for my gun safe is in a closet down the hall. So this guys idea of safety is taking that locked gun by my bed and putting it down the hall in my safe. That’s insane.

Dumb. What he wants is the ability for the police to come inspect your safe and its contents so They can certify it.

Back
Top Bottom