• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proper Transport while in Maine

I have a couple of questions that hopefully can get answered. I am going camping with the family in Maine this weekend and want to bring my firearm. I have a MA LTC-A w/ no restriction. I do not have N.H. or Maine, still waiting from the backlog. I was going have the firearm in a locked case in a compartment in the back of the SUV.

1) Do I have to have the ammunition seperate from the firearm, or can I have the un-loaded firearm and loaded magazine locked in the same container? I was also going to put the trigger lock on the firearm for added protection.

2) If my wife wanted to take the truck into town for anything is she legal to have those items in the vehicle, or do I have to remove them if the vehicle is being used by her and I am not present? My wife does not have a LTC. But has no reason that she couldn't get one. What I mean is, what is the interpretation under the law for "may legally own".

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.....

Unload guns throw in vehicle.

If I'm wrong on this, someone will correct me.... but most of the free-state gun laws are pretty simple.

I don't think Maine has any weirdness with loaded mags, etc. You may want to look at what constintutes a loaded firearm
in ME. If the law is such that proximity of gun and a loaded mag is an issue, you may want to lock the loaded mags in a bag or
other container. I'm pretty sure this is overkill, there, though.

You also do not need ANY permit for "mere possesion" in NH, VT, or ME. This means unloaded storage/transport in an MV is fine, no license is required. The licenses in NH and ME are really only for CCW purposes, nothing more. They are not required for unloaded posession, hunting, or recreational use.

Your wife will be fine driving around with unloaded guns in a free state. I realize initially it's hard to understand, but most
states in the US are not obnoxious as MA is with regards to owning, transporting and storing firearms.

-Mike

Last edited:
I was going have the firearm in a locked case in a compartment in the back of the SUV. PERFECTLY LEGAL

1) Do I have to have the ammunition seperate from the firearm YES AND UNLOAD MAGAZINES

Once you arrive at your dwelling unit, tent, camper, condo, hotel~ lock and load.

Welcome to Maine

You do not need to unload the magazine as another member has posted.

Everyone I know in maine just throws their unloaded firearms in their car. You can legally just leave it on your seat with the ammo next to it.. You can also place it in a case if you want. The key things are that the gun is not loaded and it is not concealed on your person or concealed within reach of your person. Please see the law in full linked here:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...sec2001-A.html

"§2001-A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon

1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law:

A. Display in a threatening manner a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person; or [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF).]

B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person. [2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 452, Pt. X, §2 (AFF).]"

Also here:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...2sec11212.html

"11212. Motor vehicles and motorboats

1. Prohibition. The following provisions apply to shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or a crossbow in a motor vehicle. ...

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit"

This is the information I was given when I took my concealed weapons course here in Maine. I have provided the law for you to reasearch and come to your own conclusions.

In Maine their are tow ways to transport in a car/ truck. One just put it on the seat or even on the dashboard UNLOADED. Or in the trunk. Now this may sound stupid but all states have stupid laws. If you cover the firearm or put it in a case then it is concealed and could get you in trouble if it is in the passenger compartment. Yes you heard me right a rifle in a case on the back seat could get you in trouble but on front or back seat without a case/ cover is fine. Not the law says that the weapon can not be concealed. This also depends more on where in Maine you are and who the local Le is. But for those who want to follow the letter of the law then either have it in the trunk in a case unloaded of course or if it is in the car with you NOT in a case of covered in any way.

Correct me if I am wrong but a SUV does not have a trunk so in the back, in a LOCKED case would be complying with Federal transporting rules, no?

Correct me if I am wrong but a SUV does not have a trunk so in the back, in a LOCKED case would be complying with Federal transporting rules, no?

FOPA is irrelevant in Maine because Maine is "possession free by default"- eg, FOPA is worse than local law. So you wouldn't need to secure guns under FOPA rules while traveling through ME, NH, or VT.... just whatever (lesser) state laws exist.

-Mike

Bump for a good review.

I also second NinerMaine, you do not have to have your mags unloaded, that is unnecessary as so pointed out.

Interesting. Im going to ME and NH this weekend, I have a MA LTC A. I applied for a non res in NH but am still waiting. I planned on leaving the gun unloaded and locked, until I got to my 'vaca' home in NH. This was all a huge surprise to me, as I found out about 3 hours ago that I could transport a weapon without getting arrested.....I need to get out of MA more!

If the glove box is locked it would be legal as you would not have easy access. Unlocked it would be illegal. BTW if you have a CCW you not only can have a handgun concealed but can also have it loaded in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is confusing.
I am a NH resident and have a NH concieled carry permit.

1. Can I carry concieled in Maine?

2. If not can I carry open in Maine?

3. If not can I have an unloaded weapon in a locked compartment while in Maine?

Like Palladin mentioned, as of October 2015, the constitutional carry law is in effect.

You may conceal carry at your discretion/will. There is a requirement to notify an Officer upon contact, and there are certain areas that are prohibited, so be aware of those spaces.

Thanks That is good to know. I can now be in Portsmouth NH and decide to go to the Trading Post in Maine and not have to drive 30 minutes each way to drop my weapon at home.

All we need to do is get Massachusetts to do the same thing!
Like that will happen in my lifetime![laugh2]

Thanks That is good to know. I can now be in Portsmouth NH and decide to go to the Trading Post in Maine and not have to drive 30 minutes each way to drop my weapon at home.

All we need to do is get Massachusetts to do the same thing!
Like that will happen in my lifetime![laugh2]

even if constitutional carry didn't exist in ME< why go home to drop off your gun? just toss it in the car and go! But, that is all moot now, thankfully.

First let me say hello!I am posting because I ran across this forum and thread while doing research on the very issues discussed here. There has been some well intended, but legally incorrect information posted here that could get people into serious trouble if they follow the information given.Maine did, in fact pass what some call "Constitutional Carry" this past October. It allows residents of Maine to CCW without the need of a permit/license. It also did away with the requirement for residents to have their firearms unloaded when in a vehicle while also not having a permit/license.They also left the licensing/permit system in place for those who want to use it. This is primarily for reciprocity purposes when traveling to other States.That being said, please note that I said "residents" in my above information. That was intentional. Their new laws are NOT applied to guests to their State. That is right, if you are not a resident of Maine, you still need to have a recognized permit/license to carry concealed, or to have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. So for folks from NH (or other States) the new laws did not change a single thing for you. You either have to have a recognized permit/license (and Maine does NOT recognize NH's license, nor NH recognize ME's), or get a non-resident permit for Maine.I verified this all this past weekend via a call to the Maine State Troopers. So if you go to Maine and think you can simply follow their "Constitutional Carry" laws, and have an interaction with a police officer, you may find yourself in serious trouble. Guests are NOT covered in their "resident only" law.Messed up? Absolutely. But it is better to KNOW and make decisions accordingly, than to find yourself in a bind.I will probably end up applying for a non-resident permit because I plan to visit Maine more often. But up until now, I have had to pull over when entering Maine, disarm, unload, and then lock up my pistol. It generally stayed locked up until I left Maine, unless I was staying someplace for extended periods of time without driving.Now also keep in mind the Maine is a minefield concerning where you can and can not legally carry as well. But that is another issue. Folks should familiarize themselves with their prohibited areas before visiting.I just didn't want to see anyone get in trouble thinking things have changed for "guests" to Maine since the general laws have changed. They have not.
I believe you were misinformed http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

But follow the reciprocity link.... http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/LD 868 as law.pdf

That is where the "devil is in the details". I thought the same thing, until I actually contacted the State Police. They verified that non-residents still need a recognized permit, either from their State that has reciprocity with Maine, or by a Maine non-resident permit.

I will now be calling another place in Maine to sort out the clear contradictions in both the law itself as well as the wording on their page (yes, I did read the one you linked before). THIS is why gun laws can be so silly, and dangerous.

But follow the reciprocity link.... http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/LD 868 as law.pdf

That is where the "devil is in the details". I thought the same thing, until I actually contacted the State Police. They verified that non-residents still need a recognized permit, either from their State that has reciprocity with Maine, or by a Maine non-resident permit.
State police give the wrong information sometimes. Their own site says:

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception:* If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun.* A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed.* The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

A permit is still useful for:

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will
authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity
when an unpermitted person could not:
• Acadia National Park (Maine permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
• State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. §
1803(7))
• Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS §
11403)
• Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must
be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

State police give the wrong information sometimes. Their own site says:

Indeed. But the State Law covering reciprocity clearly states a contradiction to their page as well as their general law. Another thing to ask is why would there even BE non-resident permits if no permits are required in Maine? Yet, they still have them.

So which "wrong information" is actually wrong? I for one don't want to chance it. And is why I am now trying to verify. When you have conflicting information given by the same source, generally the information that could land you in jail with a weapons violation is the one Mr. Murphy hits you with. LOL

Indeed. But the State Law covering reciprocity clearly states a contradiction to their page as well as their general law. Another thing to ask is why would there even BE non-resident permits if no permits are required in Maine? Yet, they still have them.

So which "wrong information" is actually wrong? I for one don't want to chance it. And is why I am now trying to verify. When you have conflicting information given by the same source, generally the information that could land you in jail with a weapons violation is the one Mr. Murphy hits you with. LOL
In this case, the reciprocity information is older, and is superseded by the newer law.

A permit is still useful for:

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will
authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity
when an unpermitted person could not:
• Acadia National Park (Maine permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
• State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. §
1803(7))
• Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS §
11403)
• Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must
be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)
And you see, according to their own page, you can NOT carry in the parks, period. Yet I did see where a permit is required. Just another case of conflicting information.

- - - Updated - - -

In this case, the reciprocity information is older, and is superseded by the newer law.
Please follow the actual link provided on their page. It is not superseded. It was modified, but the modification appears to still require the license.

First let me say hello!
Yes, hello...

I verified this all this past weekend via a call to the Maine State Troopers.
[rofl]

I know you're new here, so I will clue you in. DO NOT EVER SOLICIT OR TAKE LEGAL ADVISE FROM COPS! They are wrong more often than even the average libtard idiot you will find on the street.

I recently purchased property in Maine and looked into this at the time it was very new. I am following this one closely as if we actually need a permit as non-res, then there is a ton of bad info out there.

http://www.usacarry.com/maine_concealed_carry_permit_information.html#maine-concealed-carry-maps

Do I need a permit to carry concealed in Maine?
No. On October 15, 2015, Maine’s Constitutional Carry law went into effect. Residents and non-residents that are legally allowed to possess a firearms are allowed to carry concealed in Maine. Active Military and Honorably Discharged Veterans can carry at the age of 18.

Does Maine issue concealed carry permits?

Maine is a Shall Issue State and still issues Concealed Handgun Permits to residents of Maine and non-residents. Even though they allow anyone legally allowed to possess a firearm to carry concealed, they still issue concealed carry permits.

To apply, check the Town Listing for the city or town you live in before sending your application in to the State Police. If you do not see your city or town on the list then you will need to contact your respective city\town office for more information on how to apply for a concealed handgun permit. If you live in a city\town that has their own police department you must go through them to obtain a concealed handgun permit.

UPDATE: Indeed it was misinformation. The Maine State Police in charge of licensing admit that the page has conflicting information. They understood why there was confusion. They also verified that the person I talked to this weekend gave me incorrect information.

Constitutional Carry applies to all people in the State of Maine, regardless of residency. Indeed some places still require a permit to carry though, as was listed by BROWNCOAT. (thanks, by the way)

I am sorry if this caused issues, I always err on the side of caution. LOL Hopefully the Maine Police website will remove conflicting information, but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom