Proper Revolver

chrismshanks

NES Member
if you could have your ideal competition revolver with all the bells and whistles that are currently out there on other revolvers combined into one, what would yours have? what would be the specs?

moon clips, multi caliber, 8 shot, etc...?

can you give some insight on your choices?

Anything 4", easier to swing and better for lining up fast shots
Anything moon clipped, makes for faster reloads providing the cartridge agrees with it.
9 , .40 and .45 round nose kind of "plop" in vs. .38 or .357 r.n. where theres some wiggling to be done.
Anything 8 shot. 627, 929.

Ideally, out of the box, something with either X frame or Big Butt grips and a Dawson front pipe sight without a huge uptick in purchase price.
An 8 shot version of a 610 would be fantastic in strictly .40 would be fantastic for power factor.

S&W 627 V-Comp or Performance Center Model 327 TRR8. I have both. Eight shots and cut for moon clips. The model 327 comes with upper and lower rail attachments. Nice in case you want optics. Two extra rounds are nice to have.

If you want to shoot IDPA you'd have to find something else with a 4" barrel like a S&W or Ruger GP100 Match Champion.

If you consider a S&W 610 check the prices for moon clips. Crazy money!

PERFORMANCE CENTER® Model 327 TRR8 | Smith & Wesson

PERFORMANCE CENTER® Model 627 V-Comp | Smith & Wesson

S&W 627 V-Comp or Performance Center Model 327 TRR8. I have both. Eight shots and cut for moon clips. The model 327 comes with upper and lower rail attachments. Nice in case you want optics. Two extra rounds are nice to have.

I am eyeballing the TRR8. I like IDPA (never done revolver before), and USPSA. I'm interested in the TRR8 because of the weight, moon clips, optics mount options, etc...

the lighter revolver is appealing as currently shooting 3 gun, a heavy handgun is very challenging to run fast with in the holster (especially loaded). as opposed to shooting uspsa or IDPA: once it comes out of the holster, it stays out until the course of fire is completed so the weight doesn't play a role bouncing around

is there any other feedback you could offer on that trr8?

I am eyeballing the TRR8. I like IDPA (never done revolver before), and USPSA. I'm interested in the TRR8 because of the weight, moon clips, optics mount options, etc...

the lighter revolver is appealing as currently shooting 3 gun, a heavy handgun is very challenging to run fast with in the holster (especially loaded). as opposed to shooting uspsa or IDPA: once it comes out of the holster, it stays out until the course of fire is completed so the weight doesn't play a role bouncing around

is there any other feedback you could offer on that trr8?
The TRR8 comes with accessory rails. The M&P R8 does not have the rails included and they are back ordered from S&W with no estimated availability. IDPA has a 4" barrel limit so the TRR8 won't be legal. You'd need to go to a S&W or Ruger 4" gun. I use mine for Steel Challenge and plate shoots. I'm down in the New Bedford area if you want to meet up and try mine out.

The TRR8 comes with accessory rails. The M&P R8 does not have the rails included and they are back ordered from S&W with no estimated availability. IDPA has a 4" barrel limit so the TRR8 won't be legal. You'd need to go to a S&W or Ruger 4" gun. I use mine for Steel Challenge and plate shoots. I'm down in the New Bedford area if you want to meet up and try mine out.

Is i.d.p.a. six shot only?
I've never shot it, club member told me that I'd have to shoot "e.s.r." because of the moon's and could only load 6 rounds instead of 8.

I'm fond of my 1943 U.S. Navy Victory revolver, my 1937 Colt Detective Special, and 1912 Colt Police Positive .38 special. I'd like to find a Police Positive in a 6" barrel. The Victory is heavy, but that makes it a very stable platform and a very good shooter. I have a T-Grip that fits both Colts; makes quite an improvement.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4587.jpg
    IMG_4587.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8274.jpg
    IMG_8274.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 3
Back