• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proper pronunciation of SABOT

xring

Banned
It's that time of the year again where my hunting buddies start mutilating the pronunciation of SABOT.
I say its Say-bow or Sah-bow or Sa-Bow. Certainly not sabbott.
How do you say it?

or clog. [grin]

Comes from the French word sabot - word for wooden shoes or clogs.

According to Wikipedia:

A sabot (pronounced /ˈseɪboʊ/: "saybow", or /ˈsæboʊ/: "sabbow") is a device used in a firearm or cannon to fire a projectile, such as a bullet, that is smaller than the bore diameter. The term is also applied to a battery stub case, a device used similarly to make a small electrical battery usable instead of a larger one.

I can't talk because my mother's famous in the family for mispronouncing stuff on a regular basis. [laugh]

How about Heckler & Koch, everybody pronounces it different. I heard somebody on the history and or military channel pronounce Heckler & "coke". Don't know if that's correct though

Sah-boh is the correct French pronunciation. Sah-bow (or sah-bough) is the closest most English speakers can get.

I always pronounce it with the 't'. Just like I pronounce Fillet, hoping to annoy any Frenchmen in earshot [smile]

(Yes, I know I'm on shaky ground with a name like DuBois. But those frogs kicked us out 350 years ago, and we've never looked back!)

I always pronounce it with the 't'. Just like I pronounce Fillet, hoping to annoy any Frenchmen in earshot [smile]

(Yes, I know I'm on shaky ground with a name like DuBois. But those frogs kicked us out 350 years ago, and we've never looked back!)

LOL, my wife's family is Acadian too. Buncha nasty Hougenots all of 'em [rofl]

How about Heckler & Koch, everybody pronounces it different. I heard somebody on the history and or military channel pronounce Heckler & "coke". Don't know if that's correct though

I believe, from my limited German classes that it is pronouced "Heckler unt Coke" Perhaps JuergenG can weigh in.

In the military, we pronounced Sabot with long "a", long "o" no "t".

It depends on where in Germany you're from. In the north, it's a hard k like coke. As you move south it becomes more like kokh and eventually kosh. At least that's what happens with Ich, the German word for I. FYI, Walther is pronounced valter.

I have always use Sabot in this form S.L.A.P. Saboted Light Armor Penetrating.

Shown below.
308Slap1.jpg

Have also seen others like 22 caliber soft points for firing out of a 30 caliber bore rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot

A sabot (pronounced /ˈseɪboʊ/: "saybow", or /ˈsæboʊ/: "sabbow") is a device used in a firearm or cannon to fire a projectile, such as a bullet, that is smaller than the bore diameter. The term is also applied to a battery stub case, a device used similarly to make a small electrical battery usable instead of a larger one.

Since a strong seal is needed to trap propellant gasses behind the projectile, and keep the projectile centered in the barrel, something is needed to fill the gap between projectile and barrel, which is the role of the sabot. Firing a small size projectile wrapped in a sabot raises the muzzle velocity of the projectile. Made of some lightweight material (usually plastic in smallbore guns, and aluminium - and, in earlier times, wood - in cannon), the sabot usually consists of several pieces held in place by the cartridge or a loose connection. When the projectile is fired, the sabot blocks the gas, and accelerates the projectile down the barrel. When the sabot reaches the end of the barrel, the shock of hitting still air pulls the parts of the sabot away from the projectile, allowing the projectile to continue in flight.

Sabots are used to fire the flechettes that form anti-armour kinetic energy penetrators.

For reasons why a smaller diameter projectile is desirable, see external ballistics and terminal ballistics.

Sabot-type shotgun slugs were marketed in the U.S. starting in about 1985. When used with a rifled slug barrel, they offer vastly improved accuracy compared to traditional shotgun slugs. They are now legal for hunting in most states.

You think this one's bad:

I had a customer come in and for a "Bow-zay Waaa-vey" radio.

That's right kids, he was looking for a Bose Wave radio.

And he meant it. I looked at him and said "You mean the BOSE WAVE radio?"

Egads people are stupid.

When I saw you were the latest post, I assumed you'd have a comment on H&K. [wink]

"Coke" is in fact correct. I say that when discussing the guns from time to time and have been "corrected" by the unwashed masses at gun stores.

That's always a good time.

There was a guy in Vermont years ago named Fred Koch who legally changed his name to "Coke Is It". Coca-Cola tried to get an injunction against him. They lost and appealed. Don't know how the appeal went. All the court records listed him as "It, Coke Is".

You think this one's bad:

I had a customer come in and for a "Bow-zay Waaa-vey" radio.

That's right kids, he was looking for a Bose Wave radio.

And he meant it. I looked at him and said "You mean the BOSE WAVE radio?"

Egads people are stupid.

[rofl]

That one reminds me of this classic tech support call...

There's more than one?

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom