Proper disposal of junk ammo?

The "junk" we are talking about here has caused ZERO documented ecological damage.

I agree with the above. I just don't like the idea of piling this stuff up on the bottom of the ocean. Just because we can's see it doesn't mean it's not there. Other than the fact that we can't see it, it's not different than piling things up out in the woods. It sucks when you find a junk pile in the woods.

ammo

the powder is nitrate and is good for flowers and grass.the cases are brass and worth brass price the bullets can be reused or melted.

I know there's tons of junk at the bottom of the Great Lakes and the oceans. I just don't like to see more junk being dumped.

Ah the good ole days..... we will just take this atomic waste put it 55 gallon drums and fill with cement and dump it around Georges Bank, What could go wrong?

Ah the good ole days..... we will just take this atomic waste put it 55 gallon drums and fill with cement and dump it around Georges Bank, What could go wrong?

Gary, a number of years ago someone did a television expose on those 55 gallon drums sitting on the bottom of the ocean, corroding and leaking. In one segment they showed a badly corroded drum and this HUGE lobster come crawling out of it.

Everytime I eat lobster now I wonder how much plutonium I'm ingesting. But I figure the butter will counteract the radiation... RIGHT???

[grin]

Rich

Gary, a number of years ago someone did a television expose on those 55 gallon drums sitting on the bottom of the ocean, corroding and leaking. In one segment they showed a badly corroded drum and this HUGE lobster come crawling out of it.

Everytime I eat lobster now I wonder how much plutonium I'm ingesting. But I figure the butter will counteract the radiation... RIGHT???

[grin]

Rich

< Desperately Google image searching for two Jap actors in Godzilla and HUGE lobster suits squaring off and destroying Tokyo in the process>

C7577F29F1.jpg

</Desperate Google image search>

Last edited:

[grin]

Rich

What about the green gunk???? It's my favorite part, now I have to worry about atomic liver?[laugh]

I pull the bullets,dump the powder and then spray penatrating oil into the shell to kill the primers

I've seen conflicting information on this topic. Some people say that soaking primers in motor oil and/or WD-40 will render them inoperable. Other people say this effect is temporary.

Right now I have some primers as well as some empty brass with primers which are soaking in oil.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the entire mess.

Please never throw the Dud rounds downrange into the backstop area. There was a recent case of club members "Mining" a backstop for Lead, "Smelting " the Lead indoors, Casting....and they had an explosion from an errant loaded round that got swept up and put in the pot. The Club was (removed by request). The potential was catastrophic. *****Removed by request***********

Last edited:
So, is there a definitive good way to dispose of the primers? I don't reload. The primers were very old (given to me by my brother when he moved) and may have gotten wet (I guess they may have been fine?). I would have shot the brass that was primed, but I didn't have a matching gun. Right now it is all soaking in oil, but I guess I'm concerned that it is not effective.

So, is there a definitive good way to dispose of the primers? I don't reload. The primers were very old (given to me by my brother when he moved) and may have gotten wet (I guess they may have been fine?). I would have shot the brass that was primed, but I didn't have a matching gun. Right now it is all soaking in oil, but I guess I'm concerned that it is not effective.

Go to a barbecue, then wait 'til everybody's had a couple drinks and gets a fire going in the pit. Start talking about how you heard about this psycho guy that's been running through the woods in these parts lately with a Tommy gun firing on random people. When no one's looking, throw them all in the fire and start screaming.

You'll be the life of the party.

On a serious note, I have heard of guys mixing duds or primers into a soup/coffee can of cement and dropping it in a handy body of water, or burying it in the back yard.

I tossed many things into fires.......ammo wasnt as bad as canned food or hairspray cans. I still get asked "you didnt put any corn in the fire, did you ?"
I dont recomend tossing them in a fire.......[thinking] I wonder what our club does with the ones in the DUD BUCKET ? I like the idea of shooting the primers after pulling the bullets
How about pull the bullets, then smack the primer with a hammer, they are pretty load.

Bring it to Massachusetts, put it in an anti-gun politician's car and notify the cops that you saw live ammo in that car. Call Ch 4 news too. Make sure you wipe your fingerprints off of it first.

Hi,

I've got a collection of 50 or so junk rounds that I'd like to throw out. They're mostly .22, 9mm and .223 rounds. They're mostly duds and bent cases, and some random discarded rounds left behind by other folks at my range. (Heck, I once found a 20-rd AR mag with 6 rounds in it after the spring melt).

I don't imagine this is the sort of stuff they want at the town transfer station. So what's the best way to dispose of these?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom