• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Proper disposal of junk ammo?

Hi,

I've got a collection of 50 or so junk rounds that I'd like to throw out. They're mostly .22, 9mm and .223 rounds. They're mostly duds and bent cases, and some random discarded rounds left behind by other folks at my range. (Heck, I once found a 20-rd AR mag with 6 rounds in it after the spring melt).

I don't imagine this is the sort of stuff they want at the town transfer station. So what's the best way to dispose of these?

Thanks.

I take it your range doesn't have a disposal system for dud rounds (usually just an empty coffee can to drop them in)?

If it were me... I'd just toss them in a box or container and toss it in the corner of my workshop along with the other junk I've accumulated over the years. Either that, or just dig a hole out in my yard or the woods and dump'em in that.

Or, just bring them to your local police station and tell them you found them while cleaning out your dear departed uncles garage and would like to see them properly disposed of.

As long as they have primers:

My father and I took a big block of wood (about 5 inches deep, and 20 x 20) drilled a bunch of caliber-specific holes and stuck the junk rounds into the wood.

Stick the block out on the range and just shoot the primers.

I pull the bullets,dump the powder and then spray penatrating oil into the shell to kill the primers

Step one: Put them in an old dryer
Step two: Put the dryer in your driveway
Step three: ?????
Step four: Profit

Just call the police and tell them you found some ammo and you aren't sure what to do with it.If they say they can't come and take it,tell them there are children around and it looks like some of the bullet tips might contain depleted uranium.

Just call the police and tell them you found some ammo and you aren't sure what to do with it.If they say they can't come and take it,tell them there are children around and it looks like some of the bullet tips might contain depleted uranium.

Win. [laugh2]

Use them for target practice!

Or the Gringo method. Being the paranoid lunatic that I am, I'd put them in a coffee can first. Or you could get a circle of liberals and gather them around the campfire to protect the widdwe trees.

That's a joke. Right?

Why would it be?

You have no idea of the amount of copper-jacketed lead lying at the bottom of Lake Erie right off Camp Perry. There are no berms on the Camp Perry firing ranges. All of the bullets end up in the lake. Been going on since 1903.

Why would it be?

You have no idea of the amount of copper-jacketed lead lying at the bottom of Lake Erie right off Camp Perry. There are no berms on the Camp Perry firing ranges. All of the bullets end up in the lake. Been going on since 1903.

I know there's tons of junk at the bottom of the Great Lakes and the oceans. I just don't like to see more junk being dumped.

I know there's tons of junk at the bottom of the Great Lakes and the oceans. I just don't like to see more junk being dumped.

Would you feel better if I used them for weights in the pockets of liberals first before dropping them in the ocean? Would be a safe way to get rid of both at the same time

ammo

dont encorage the police.pull the bullets,pour the powder on your grass or flowers its great nitrogen.you can put primed cases in the fire pit.they wont go any where.obviously no one reloads.[crying]

dont encorage the police.pull the bullets,pour the powder on your grass or flowers its great nitrogen.you can put primed cases in the fire pit.they wont go any where.obviously no one reloads.[crying]

Just, uh...make sure you don't have a smoke while standing near your flower bed.

"Honey, what happened to my petunias?"

Why would it be?

That must get hairy if you are boating behind the range... course I imagine there's an exclusion zone or something. [laugh]

-Mike

Why would it be?

Puuloa Rifle Range on Oahu is the same way. There's a slight berm, but rounds typically only impact the berm from the 200 yard line. Everything else goes right into Pearl Harbor. Funniest part is the range is almost perfectly perpendicular the final approach course for runway 8 at Honolulu International, right across the water. Heavy's aren't an issue, but we'd occasionally have to cease fire if a gen. aviation or regional aircraft was on a low final.

Puuloa Rifle Range on Oahu is the same way. There's a slight berm, but rounds typically only impact the berm from the 200 yard line. Everything else goes right into Pearl Harbor. Funniest part is the range is almost perfectly perpendicular the final approach course for runway 8 at Honolulu International, right across the water. Heavy's aren't an issue, but we'd occasionally have to cease fire if a gen. aviation or regional aircraft was on a low final.

[shocked]

*Pssht* "Ladies and gentleman this is your captain speaking. It is now safe to remove your kevlar jackets. Enjoy the remainder of your flight." *Pssht*

That must get hairy if you are boating behind the range... course I imagine there's an exclusion zone or something. [laugh]

-Mike

Yep, there's an exclusion zone clearly marked on the NOAA chart. And boats from the USCG and/or Ohio Naval Militia patrol it when the ranges are hot.

There is also an observation tower equipped with surface search radar looking out over it.

When firing is going in, it is VERY difficult to miss the volley of bullet impact splashes particularly during the rapid fire stages of the National Match course of fire, or even better during the Infantry Team Trophy Match.

And even with all that, we still get toolboxes that wander off in there during live fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom