Projectile weights

Jim Poulette

NES Member
This may be academic, but I'm wondering if anyone who weighs lead (unjacketed) bullets uses any other tolerance aside the SAAMI spec (which I think is +/-1.5% for bullets >100 gn)

I took 3 100 piece samples (240gn LSWC) from different manufactures and compiled the following data which was about the same for all 3 groups:

100% pass - SAAMI tolerance of +/-1.5%
86% pass - +/- 1.0 %
40% pass - +/- 0.5%

I'm still trying to correlate both accuracy & precision to this type of screening (in a hand gun anyway) and I'm wondering if anyone who uses these types of projectiles has noticed improvements in screening for higher tolerances.

I know it is done at some high level of precision rifle shooting, but I'm interested if you find it makes any noticeable difference in accuracy/consistency in pistol.

I assume its more important to choose the correct powder

Is your scale calibrated and certified to NIST standards? Or. made in China?
For stuff like this repeatability is more important than accuracy.

I cast my own and only see about a +/-1 grain variation on the "keepers"
You can separate into tighter tolerance groups but I doubt it means a lot at handgun velocity
A 0.1gn powder tolerance is 1-2% so unless you drop on a milligram scale you may be chasing your tail with bullet weight.

For stuff like this repeatability is more important than accuracy.

I cast my own and only see about a +/-1 grain variation on the "keepers"
You can separate into tighter tolerance groups but I doubt it means a lot at handgun velocity
A 0.1gn powder tolerance is 1-2% so unless you drop on a milligram scale you may be chasing your tail with bullet weight.
That's good to hear. I had originally thought of a +/- 1.2g tolerance (5% 0f 240) - but I see you hold them to an even tighter tolerance. Cool.

40% yield seems low - but hey, that's life in the big city (when you buy LSWCs I suppose......).

I have only experimented with a few powders, but have simulated a few different weights & powders in GRT. That's all well and good - but I prefer to see the results firsthand at the range. have noticed a little difference at the 10% mark (86% yield), hard to know if there will be any difference at 5%. But, in any event, it will be fun trying. :D

That's good to hear. I had originally thought of a +/- 1.2g tolerance (5% 0f 240) - but I see you hold them to an even tighter tolerance. Cool.

40% yield seems low - but hey, that's life in the big city (when you buy LSWCs I suppose......).

I have only experimented with a few powders, but have simulated a few different weights & powders in GRT. That's all well and good - but I prefer to see the results firsthand at the range. have noticed a little difference at the 10% mark (86% yield), hard to know if there will be any difference at 5%. But, in any event, it will be fun trying. :D
Its not 40% yield - if you find that you need to hold a +/-0.5 grain variation at a specific charge weight and headstamp then separate into batches and develop for each batch.
I think you will find that the person behind the trigger will add the most variation with cases being the second most important factor (assuming you don't sort by headstamp, weight, firings, etc)

Its not 40% yield - if you find that you need to hold a +/-0.5 grain variation at a specific charge weight and headstamp then separate into batches and develop for each batch.
I think you will find that the person behind the trigger will add the most variation with cases being the second most important factor (assuming you don't sort by headstamp, weight, firings, etc)
Yes, I am grouping them into "batches" for the time being.

And, yes - I am picking fly shit out of pepper with the brass and the charge weights. LOL :D But you're right - the big variable is me...........absolutely no doubt there.

This may be academic, but I'm wondering if anyone who weighs lead (unjacketed) bullets uses any other tolerance aside the SAAMI spec (which I think is +/-1.5% for bullets >100 gn)

I took 3 100 piece samples (240gn LSWC) from different manufactures and compiled the following data which was about the same for all 3 groups:

86% pass - +/- 1.0 %
40% pass - +/- 0.5%

I'm still trying to correlate both accuracy & precision to this type of screening (in a hand gun anyway) and I'm wondering if anyone who uses these types of projectiles has noticed improvements in screening for higher tolerances.
40% pass at 0.5% which is 1.2g is great, same with 86% @ 2.4g.

When I cast for BPCR, 535g bullets, I usually throw away (re-melt) around 40-50%.

I use a mechanical scale, but I know when it is off by 1 or 2 grains, and thst is how I weigh them. Anything slightly above that mark is gone.

Edit to add:

For most handgun competitions those bullets are perfectly fine at a tolerance of +/- 1.5%.

What are you going to be shooting?

When I was shooting a lot of .45 lead SWC's for NRA bullseye I zeroed the scale to what the average weight was and the ones closest to zero went for slow fire at 50 yards. Any that were more than 1/2 grain lighter or heavier were used for timed and rapid at 25 yards.

86% pass - +/- 1.0 %
40% pass - +/- 0.5%

What accuracy standard are you looking for?

When I was shooting a lot of .45 lead SWC's for NRA bullseye I zeroed the scale to what the average weight was and the ones closest to zero went for slow fire at 50 yards. Any that were more than 1/2 grain lighter or heavier were used for timed and rapid at 25 yards.
How big was the aiming black Bullseye
I only shot NRA/CMP service pistol and that was years ago. Black bull was 5.5-6” ir so at 50 yards. Which I can generally hold with most of my pistols.
Other than that its been club fun shoots

How big was the aiming black Bullseye
I only shot NRA/CMP service pistol and that was years ago. Black bull was 5.5-6” ir so at 50 yards. Which I can generally hold with most of my pistols.
Other than that its been club fun shoots
6" sounds about right for the black at 50 yards with about a 2" 10 ring. At 25 yards the black drops to about 4" with the same size 10 rings. A saying among Bullseye shooters is shoot good ammo at 50 yards and anything that will chamber and cycle the gun at 25 yards.

6" sounds about right for the black at 50 yards with about a 2" 10 ring. At 25 yards the black drops to about 4" with the same size 10 rings. A saying among Bullseye shooters is shoot good ammo at 50 yards and anything that will chamber and cycle the gun at 25 yards.
Sounds good.
I can still keep my cast loads in the black but I use every corner doing so at 50 yards, So basically 12moa
i was once told by a long time shooter of the Nationals that you need a pistol and ammo capable of 2moa and the skills to deliver it to have a chance at winning.

Well, that's puts me out of the running........:D
Maybe now sorting cast bullets with xyz might not seem as needed.
Better time spent practicing, lol

just a little perspective
National Trophy Pistol scores are often in the high 380s for the top shooters. Or the 95% averages. Thats ahooting 9.6 a shot on average

the targets used at the Nationals
50 yards the 10 ring is 3.36”
25 yards the 10 ring is 1.5”

I dont see a lot shooters aiming for X ring much these days. Lots of hits on target 3-12 yards type of shooting.
Its all good

Last edited:
Its all good
Yeah - it is.......

Actually shot a little 10m air pistol this morning (4-B40 targets / 10 shots each / 10 ring is <0.5") managed an 88, 90, 87, 78 (my signature 'choke' on the last target).

As good as that looks on paper - it still wouldn't come close to qualifying under ISSA for 563/600.

Pellets or 44 mag - my lot in life is having fun. :D

Yeah - it is.......

Actually shot a little 10m air pistol this morning (4-B40 targets / 10 shots each / 10 ring is <0.5") managed an 88, 90, 87, 78 (my signature 'choke' on the last target).

As good as that looks on paper - it still wouldn't come close to qualifying under ISSA for 563/600.

Pellets or 44 mag - my lot in life is having fun. :D
Your scores would be much better if you sorted and sized tour pellets! Lol
I shoot a lot of pellets in my yard. Only thing that keeps me from rusting up

Back
Top Bottom