• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Project MAS

I picked up a MAS 36 that had been "sporterized" in the 60's. I have this strange love for the look of the MAS and have wanted one since I first saw one. Well I picked up the "sporter" cheap, got some surplus parts and re-built it to original specs (except for the barrel length, it was cut down about 3 inches to 18 1/2" when sporterized).
On delivery...accurate shooter and little!
DSCF0695.jpg

Playing with replacement parts!
DSCF0731.jpg

DSCF0724.jpg

Oil rubbed finish finally dried...
DSCF0733.jpg

Someday I'll either figure a way to put on a muzzle brake or something fake to look like the barrel or just pick up a barrel and bayonette to finish the re-build.

For right now I have $164.40 invested and it is a great little shooter that sure catches your eye! Now if only the ammo, 7.5x54, weren't so hard to find and expensive to buy! Not sure if I should save up for a "really nice copy" or just stock up on ammo and have fun with this...I think I "dance with the one that I brought for a while".

Last edited:
Numrich Gun Parts Corporation

www.e-gunparts.com

When I sent them my C&R they set me up as a dealer and I got 10% off of the entire order. I had to order 6 items from wood to a screw andthey had them all in stock.

And they shipped fast, within a day of placing the order. The stuff they sent me looked like they dug it up from a grave but as you can see with a little elbow grease it cleaned up beautifully.

What's the project you're going to start?

What's the project you're going to start?

MAS 36/51. I've bought from Numrich many times before and have my FFL on file with them. I'll know Saturday what parts I need. 3 parts guns for winter projects I was thinking. I'll probably have 2 done by the first real snowfall.[smile]

DSCF0731.jpg

Shrinkage?[wink]

I like the teeny flagpole. Did the French issue little white flags with these.
[rofl]

W*rk is REALLY slow today....

Seriously, the gun is cheap enough to exercise your imagination a little.
I would cut the barrel back to 16-1/2" and shorten the stock to fit.
It would be a great little carbine.
I think that you can make brass for these from 7.5 Swiss.

Jack

You can allways convert it to a 36/51 they have a granade launcher that slips over the barrel. it has differant wood and the launcher would hide the short barrel just fine. (the one I have is going to Milsurp on sat.)

I mentioned on another forum that I was thinging of trimming back the stock to expose the barrel a bit then maybe plop a flash hider on there and be done with it but I was offered a barrel from someone else's project so in a month or so I hope to have this all original with the barrel longer than the "I surrender, white flag pole"...and I'm half French too!

Milsurp: Can't wait to see your project and I also responded to your PM.

Back
Top Bottom