Programming software

New Ham here. Very green to the Ham world that awaits me.

I have acquired three transceivers (older ICOM 2GAT and Kenwood TS-140S, and a newer Yaesu VX-6) The 2 HT's came to me partially programmed, but I don't have any manuals for them to assist in programming them any further. The Yaesu will soon lose its memory channels because I have to send it out for repair. It has very low TX and RX audio on the ham bands, but not NOAA. I'm told it may be a failed filter of some sort.

My question. Is there a common software program that is useful to program my radios, and a future purchase of a new radio that has all the up to date technological bells and whistles, or does each radio have their own particular programming software that you must buy?

And if CHIRP does the other two, it'll let you save your settings so you can reprogram later. A buddy of mine set us all up with identical programs on Baofengs so the less saavy could just be told "go to preset 13".

And if CHIRP does the other two, it'll let you save your settings so you can reprogram later. A buddy of mine set us all up with identical programs on Baofengs so the less saavy could just be told "go to preset 13".

LOL, story of my life.

Rtsystems is ~$50 (includes cable) but works very well on the radios that they support. So between that and Chirp, you should be able to get them working.

Manuals are usually DL-able from mfr website.

Rtsystems is ~$50 (includes cable) but works very well on the radios that they support. So between that and Chirp, you should be able to get them working.

Manuals are usually DL-able from mfr website.

My only complaint about RT Systems is that you have to buy the software and install it for each radio. Never understood why they couldn't just sell a license unlock for each radio you own.

It is nice that you can easily copy/paste between instances of RT though.

I use this on my VX7R

http://www.kc8unj.com/vx7.html

Not sure if it works with the VX6. I started using it right after it came out and it was a bit finicky at first but it works well for me once I got past the learning curve. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom