Professor Called Police After Student Presentation >>

I happened to drop into Bass Pro today.

I was just window shopping. Looking at what little inventory that was on display.

Not once, but twice, two different woman whispered the same comment in about a 30-second span: "Gee, those guns look scary."

---

Some people can't be saved. Including that professor. The student did nothing wrong. The foundation of academia is cemented in debate that's often uncomfortable and mentally challenging. Clearly some topics like personal safety, I guess are off-limits.

CT? I would expect this from, say, a state school in MA.

I have one professor who regularly eludes to the fact that he may or may not be carrying on campus.

Several of us enlightened ones in the class enjoy watching the horrified expressions on the faces of the liberals.

CT? I would expect this from, say, a state school in MA.

I am a fairly recent graduate from a state college in MA and during my time there I brought up this issue several times. In fact, on one occasion I asked administrators if they supported allowing citizens, including students, to utilize any tool within the law in order to protect themselves. I prefaced the question by stating how long it took the Virginia Tech and the then recent Illinois shooters to kill X number of students. Then I said I don't think any campus police department could respond from anywhere on campus in that amount of time unless the officer was stationed directly outside the classroom door. Now I not only said this in front of administrators but also the campus police department, the press, and some of my fellow students. Needless to say nothing happened to me. At the very least I think its ridiculous that schools don't allow females to carry mace if they so desire.

Scary stuff...my little sister did a presentation on gun control last year at her college....I'd be majorly pissed off if someone called the cops on her b/c her views made them "feel bad".

Assclowns.

At the very least I think its ridiculous that schools don't allow females to carry mace if they so desire.

Agreed. I have brought this idea up to professors/students before, and on this level people seem to support the idea (of concealed carry on campus). However, when I addressed the issue in a wider forum (i.e. college newspaper) it was not well received. It was regarded as an act of fear mongering to address the fact that in all actuality the police will probably have next to no involvement in a school schooting, until well after the fact.

I'm surprised no one picked up on this tidbit:

He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.

I don't know about you, but if my local college had "free gun zones," I'd shop there every day. [wink]

Testing the ground will always happen, and in its own way will plant the seeds as well. So, I would not look at this as a bad turn, in fact, if I didn't see it all, I would wonder about the belief of those who aspire to their "rights".

This is not going to stop those who do believe, it fact, it will encourage them. We admire those who dare. It aspires the rest of us to follow.

Mr. Wahlberg is a brave man--one to be commended! And a smart one too! He was prepared for the hassle he was to endure by understanding the storage laws of CT and the rules of the school. I hope he can have an intellegent conversation with that one professor, and not end up with an "F" for the course! If you can not discuss topics openly on campus, goodbye liberty and learnng in the US.

We need many more of him out there. We need an education campaign to familiarize the masses to the benefits of gun sports. Just one of the benefits is that a gun can save YOUR life! That is a good place to start.

The more of this persecution that is made public, the more today's young adults may start asking "what IS happening to my rights, why are the police/adminstration tryng to scare us so?"

The more I think about this, the more I think that this might be an important test case. It already has campus wide visability via the campus newspaper.

If I were Mr. Wahlberg, I would contact a firearms instuctor at either Hoffmans, Middletown, or Meriden, and set up a demonstration for the professor. Invite her to the gun club along with the student, have her learn about how guns operate, safe handling demonstration, shoot some small calibre pistols and rifles....show here a glimpse of the other side of the coin.

It might open up the Prof's eyes. It also would make a good, positive, follow up story that the press might catch onto.

Anyone live in CT willing to set it up?

This falls under the heading of "a chilling effect on free speech". Liberals have many tools in their toolbox to stifle the expression of opinions that are contrary to their own. This woman knew exactly what she was doing.

If we were liberal "activists", we'd be calling out a flash mob to picket the school, picket her home, boycott a bunch or peripherally involved entities and generally make a huge ruckus until this "professor" is forced either to resign or undertake a period of deep reflection into her insensitivity, hostility and bias toward gun owners and their first and second amendment rights. In other words, we would enforce our brand of political correctness through collective action. To the barricades, comrades!

Unfortunately, our "group" consists mainly of people who have jobs.

Read one of the response by jack burton...this might make a good laugh or make someone's blood boil...

"The Professor was entirely correct in her decision.

Guns owners are disrespectful of authority. A failure to rely on authorities is an invariable sign of improper and overly independent attitudes. The mere fact that they gather together to talk about guns at gun shops, gun shows, and shooting ranges means that they have some plot going against us normal people. A gun owner has no right to associate with another gun owner.

Therefore, to help ensure our right to happiness and safety we must ban and seize all guns from private hands, and forbid NRA-based criticism towards people who are only trying to help. Searching the homes of all NRA members and seizing their guns will go a long way towards reducing crime.

If we need help doing this we can invite people like the Australians and Norweigans to help rummage through people’s property.

People who don’t like this prove they are on the side of the killers with the guns and should be put in jail along side all the gangbangers and other gun nuts. Letting them sit in jail for a few years before they are charged will give the government plenty of time to find something wrong in their lives. Anything they say, write, or express should be held against them to prove their guilt.

Common sense requires only uniformed soldiers, police, and other agents of the state have access to firearms and no person should be able to challenge this by writing to Congress or the President. If they do they should be forced in court to admit to it and then fined a hundred million dollars for each time. Subjecting them to torture will probably change their minds.

No woman needs to protect herself from rape, assault or murder and should just leave crime prevention to the Police who are properly equipped to investigate following the crime’s completion. Women using a gun in self-defense interferes with and makes the attempted crime a “non-event,” which unnecessarily complicates the Police investigation. Any woman who does this should be put in jail for interfering with an investigation.

If someone still really, really thinks they have a need for a gun in their home for protection then the Army should just force them to host and feed some armed soldiers.

Those who claim that the 2nd amendment was given to because we might someday need guns to use against an oppressive government forget that Constitution has strong internal safeguards to protect our freedoms. So there!

Long live our Constitution!"

I graduated from College last year. During my time, I gave a speech endorsing concealed-carry on campus's in two of my classes. The first, a Communications class like the one in the story, and the second was a higher level CJ class on crime prevention. Not only did the CJ professor give me an "A," but he also commented that he could understand how beneficial concealed-carry on campus could be. He proceeded to have a nice conversation with me after class in regards to what guns I own, how often I carry, etc. He was asking me these questions because he was really interested in applying for his LTC now!

So now I reuse this presentation in my COMM class next semester. This professor not only gives me a "C" but she commented that I should try and pick a "less radical" topic for my next presentation. RADICAL???? I was dumbfounded and proceeded to try and talk to her about the realities. She was so far to the Left it was like talking to a wall. She began to take offense when I wouldn't back down to her and she finally just walked away from me. I proceeded to drop the class and sent a letter to the Dean, however I did not get much of a response. Some people are just so ignorant...

I graduated from College last year. During my time, I gave a speech endorsing concealed-carry on campus's in two of my classes. The first, a Communications class like the one in the story, and the second was a higher level CJ class on crime prevention. Not only did the CJ professor give me an "A," but he also commented that he could understand how beneficial concealed-carry on campus could be. He proceeded to have a nice conversation with me after class in regards to what guns I own, how often I carry, etc. He was asking me these questions because he was really interested in applying for his LTC now!

Excellent! Thanks for the win. I'm working on a few folks now (got about three people interested and want to go to the range). One friend is military but doesn't possess/carry as a civilian. Two others are very interested and hope to get them on their feet soon.

So now I reuse this presentation in my COMM class next semester. This professor not only gives me a "C" but she commented that I should try and pick a "less radical" topic for my next presentation. RADICAL???? I was dumbfounded and proceeded to try and talk to her about the realities. She was so far to the Left it was like talking to a wall. She began to take offense when I wouldn't back down to her and she finally just walked away from me. I proceeded to drop the class and sent a letter to the Dean, however I did not get much of a response. Some people are just so ignorant...

Civil rights topics are really radical! What's next? Freedom of speech?

The decline continues.

Here is some good advice (in part) from the comments below the article:

Sparky McDougall

February 28, 2009 • 6:03 pm

I was recently contacted by the Police.
They want me to come in to the precinct to talk to them. What should I do?

So you got home from work today and there’s a Detective’s business card under your door. You call the number on the card. He tells you he’d like you to come in and talk to him. What should you do?

Call your lawyer, that’s what.

When the police want to chat, you most likely won’t be coming home from the precinct that day. You are going to be arrested.

No, you can’t talk them out of it. The police have already made their decision.

No, they won’t listen to your side of the story and change their minds. The other side already convinced them to arrest you.

No, they don’t care that you would never do something like that. That you have a good job. That you’re college educated. That you support your elderly parents, your five kids and your wife.

The police don’t care that you’re a really nice guy.

They don’t even care that you weren’t even there.

So what do you do when the police want to talk to you? Call your lawyer first.

But don’t take my word for it. Call that Detective with the business card and ask him what’s going on. He’ll tell you something like this: “We need to straighten this out.” “I need to hear your side of the story.” “I need to see you in person.”

Here’s what he won’t say: “You’re going to be arrested for a major felony.” “Pack your toothbrush.” “You won’t be going home for a while.”

Why? Because then you wouldn’t go see him, would you? Then he would have to come looking for you, which is a lot harder.

Call your lawyer.

No one is suggesting you should run from the police. That only causes more problems. But you cannot walk into that police precinct by yourself. If you go in with a friend or family member, the police will make them wait in the lobby for you. A few hours later, the officer at the front desk will tell your friend or family member that they can see you in court the next morning. Or at visiting hour at the jail after that.

So who should you call when the police are looking for you? Your lawyer.

And who should go with you to see the police? Your lawyer.

Why? Because your lawyer can call the Detective and find out what’s going on. The police will usually talk to us. We can find out if they are planning to arrest you or if you really are just a witness. We can find out if they really want to “hear your side of the story” or if that was just a lame ruse to get you to turn yourself in.

Your lawyer can sit with you and the police when you’re being interviewed. Your lawyer can tell you what questions to answer and what questions not to answer (in other words, when to shut up).

Realize this: If you’re not the victim of a crime, the police are not here to help you. And the law says that they can lie to you. As much as they want. If it gets you to confess. So, if you’re not the victim of a crime, if the police ask you to come in to chat, you can’t trust a thing they say.

The police are very good at using what you say against you. By instinct, most people want to please the police when they talk to them, which often makes them say things they think the police want to hear. Sometimes, those things aren’t exactly true. But they become part of your statement, and your statement can–and will–be used against you. That can’t happen if you have a lawyer with you. The police can’t get a confession from you if they can’t get you to say what they want to hear.

NO, bringing a lawyer with you to see the police does not make you look more guilty. And who cares if it does? They were planning to arrest you anyway. Bringing a lawyer with you may be the only way you are going to go home tonight.

If you were wrong, if you really were just a witness, then consider it an insurance policy.

And if you do get arrested, the police and prosecutors have a lot less to work with down the line when it comes to proving you guilty in court.

So don’t call that Detective first. Call your lawyer.

Friends of mine who are cops have given me the same advice.

I can see why this teacher thought she needed to be hyper-vigilant in reporting this student to the police. I also happen to think that how she reacted was out of line and completely unnecessary.

On one hand, given all the shootings that have happened in the not so distant past, teachers must be somewhat on edge and ultra sensitive to this issue. So its not like she deserves a complete lashing, she was doing what she thought was necessary to protect students, which I have no problem with. However, she was dead wrong for reporting the kid to the police based solely on the content of the student's presentation.

Perhaps a 1:1 meeting after class to further discuss the presentation would have been a better approach. This way the prof could have discerned for herself whether this kid was a threat (which of course he was/is not). Thats all it would have taken. Thirty minutes talking to the kid to figure out if he's another nut job looking to massacre everyone, or just open minded college kid exercising a couple constitutional rights. No cops, no hassle, no news story.

BTW what exactly is a "FREE GUN ZONE"??? Because if there is such a thing as a place where guns are free, I'd love to know about it!!

I can see why this teacher thought she needed to be hyper-vigilant in reporting this student to the police. I also happen to think that how she reacted was out of line and completely unnecessary.

On one hand, given all the shootings that have happened in the not so distant past, teachers must be somewhat on edge and ultra sensitive to this issue. So its not like she deserves a complete lashing, she was doing what she thought was necessary to protect students, which I have no problem with. However, she was dead wrong for reporting the kid to the police based solely on the content of the student's presentation.

Perhaps a 1:1 meeting after class to further discuss the presentation would have been a better approach. This way the prof could have discerned for herself whether this kid was a threat (which of course he was/is not). Thats all it would have taken. Thirty minutes talking to the kid to figure out if he's another nut job looking to massacre everyone, or just open minded college kid exercising a couple constitutional rights. No cops, no hassle, no news story.

BTW what exactly is a "FREE GUN ZONE"??? Because if there is such a thing as a place where guns are free, I'd love to know about it!!

I respectfully disagree. Maybe the "teacher" is alarmed by the idea that people might use arms for defense. But I doubt it. She's read some books and magazines, and probably knows that this is a position held by some people and which is widely debated in both private and public settings.

It is more likely that this woman is a leftist who simply does not want the pro-carry side of the argument to have a hearing. Siccing the cops on the student will certainly send a clear message that certain forms of speech will not be tolerated. This reinforces an unofficial speech code found on most college campuses today, and ensures conformity of thought along leftist ideological lines.

And unless the woman is a trained psychologist, operating within the context of a doctor/patient therapy session, I very much doubt that the 30-minute tete-a-tete you recommend would be productive for either party. Even if she were licensed to practice therapy in this setting, it is unlikely, I think, that her view on the ownership and use of firearms would be altered in the least bit by such an exchange. These people are ideologically opposed to gun rights and will not be swayed by reasoned debate.

The only remedy to a situation like this is to:

a) seek legal redress under the the first amendment, or

b) mobilize, march, annoy, harass, interfere, picket, sit-in, burn stuff, get the bitch fired and blacklisted ... in short, raise such a stink that no liberal elitist will ever again dare to challenge RKBA. In other words, adopt the tactics of the left.

(or, failing all else, see post #28)

<snip>

b) mobilize, march, annoy, harass, interfere, picket, sit-in, burn stuff, get the bitch fired and blacklisted ... in short, raise such a stink that no liberal elitist will ever again dare to challenge RKBA. In other words, adopt the tactics of the left.

(or, failing all else, see post #28)

I like your idea better.

Somebody please slap that bitch. Might give her some sense.

Just sayin'.......

As I've said before: I have no problem with people who are afraid of guns. I only wish they seek professional medical and psychological help when dealing with their illogical phobia.

However, I have a big time problem when these psychologically retarded folk try to infringe on my Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms!

No one has a constitutional right to 'feel safe and comfortable', yet most people these days think they do and that it trumps other peoples actual rights.

Back
Top Bottom