Productive (lucky?) tree stand

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Son Lance just tipped over a deer with the rifle from the same stand that he and Little Jack had each arrowed a deer from earlier in Fitzwilliam. Little Jack had also taken a buck with the rifle during the youth hunt. So, they are both tagged out in NH. Maine is next. Then comes Mass. Freezer is filling up. Jack.

Its "productive". I've had deer at all my stands every season for years. They're just in the right spot and yours seems to be too.

Congratulations to your son.

Gotta hit those stands while they are hot. Patterns continually shift during the season as food sources change and the sex drive change.

Bob

Congrats...thats good for that area of SoNH.

This.....although stands that produce year to year are usually in good travel routes where the deer need to go to food or bedding and avoid other areas. Usually some bottleneck that deer generally have or really want to pass thru. Combine it near a hot food source or good bedding area and it can be unusually good.

However, overhunt these spots and deer will eventually avoid them as they become educated.

That said I hunted Rindge yesterday and my stand is not hot.....so this thread is useless without GPS cordinates.......[cheers]

There is no such thing as a lucky stand. The deer walk by there for a reason! Determining that reason(s) is how you become a great hunter.

I worked with a guy that was a super hunter. He took deer in 4 states every year. He upland bird hunted with me and we worked a 10,000 acre location. He asked me about that locale when he had a MA doe permit and wanted to hunt there. I described one spot where we had bird hunted and he remembered it. I also pointed out that he would have to get there before opening gun and he said he could do that. It was about a 1/2 hour walk to the spot and I told him to hold up at the bottom of a hill.

I said that the deer were bedding down on the backside of that hill and it was only 100 yards from a dirt road. The hunters would be coming in from the road and he would be ahead of the deer as they scattered downhill, deeper into the woods.

He followed my plan, was there 15 minutes before opening gun and then there were a couple shots from the top of the hill. A 150 pound doe ran down the hill, stopped and looked back uphill 50 feet in front of him. She died right there. It was an uphill drag but only a 150 yards to the dirt road. One of the hunters that came in from the road was a newbie and asked if he could watch the deer gutted. He did and even helped my buddy drag it out and gave him a ride back to his truck.

Now I am not the best hunter in the world, but knowing where deer are bedding down, knowing the topography, knowing where the hunters would come from and knowing where thy would run to and be there when the start of the season began certainly is an edge that many would not have.

He showed up and showed me the deer and said, "I have never seen such a plan work out so well in so little time."

Yes I got a back strap.

Remind me to tell you about the NH, "Magic Tree". 13 deer in one season. They just had nowhere to go than into the guns.

Back
Top Bottom