Product to clean wood grips?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I just picked up a beautiful DWM Double Date P08 Luger, but the grips need to be cleaned up some. These are the original grips for the gun so I want to clean them, but not take the chance of damaging them in any way.

With that said what would be your preferred cleaning product and method? Thanks for the help!

IMG_1326.jpg

If you intend to shoot it, keep the original grips they way they are and get a set of new Luger grips from Altamont Co instead.

I was thinking that, but figure a nice cleaning to get rid of whatever the white stuff is would be a good thing. I have to imagine it's sweat or something along those lines on the grips.

I like beretta's idea. Who knows what history you'll be erasing by cleaning it.
I can almost see a palm print and two fingers under the mag release.
If it was ketchup, and I dripped it on it... that's a different story.

That said, I like Purple Power for Garand stocks. (some I own are from the same era.)
The spray bottle would get into the nooks and crannies well with a light touch from an extra soft tooth brush and small circles. I'd also start with a very small test patch on the back side of the least attractive stock, being careful not to over saturate. Then wait a day and inspect. It should make the wood "pop!"
~Matt

iu

Last edited:
Why not just start with a nylon brush and some water to see if that takes care of it? Could just be dust?

If that does not work you can start ramping up the cleaning power.

Mountain I just noticed your Luger pic in your profile. It looks like you have the same white discoloring on your grips as well. Did you ever think of cleaning it or just leaving them as is?

I think most of that is the flash, but they could probably use a little cleaning too. Other than wiping with a soft cloth, I probably won't give them a better cleaning until I remove them. In my original post, someone thought they looked too good to be one of the original BYF 'Black Widow' grips but what he could not see was the edge wear that was consistent with the condition of the rest of the pistol. Everything matches and is correct for it to be an original bakelite gripped P08, so I'm going to be a little careful with the grips. The put together later 'Black Widows' typically don't have 100% matching parts from the correct time period. Eventually I'll get replacements for shooting, and at that time will clean and store the originals. For the bakelite, I'll probably use diluted dish soap to get the crud out of the grips. Before the next smarty pants chimes in, LOL, yes I know that 'Black Widow' is name made up later in the US.

There's always nice warm dish soapy water.
I would try dry cleaning them with a soft bush. Then move on to some sudzy soap& water.
The white stuff is something that most likely will come back. Some sort of oxidization. Removing the "film or layer" of crud,dirt, stuff will only expose the wood more to the elements again. I would just figure out preservation vs clean.
This might help
Wood Cleaning Article - Civilian Marksmanship Program

Rock I have a Luger, with original grips. Never touched them and I shoot it. Ill see if I can pull out a pic. Im the guy if it’s a shooter does not need to be prestine.

Attachments

• 5F379266-5A7D-4643-BA03-1266946343C9.jpeg
    5F379266-5A7D-4643-BA03-1266946343C9.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom